main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

{ Paying the Ferryman } - OWK reflects in life after death - One post

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by TheFallen, Feb 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheFallen

TheFallen Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    [ x. P a y i n g T h e F e r r y m a n .x ]
    By: TheFallen

Summary: Obi-Wan Kenobi reflects on living after someone forgets to pay the ferryman.
    Disclaimer: I own nothing of the sort.
    Author?s Notes: This plot bunny nibbled little by little ? I hope it?s coherent and well written enough.
    Timeframe: Obi-Wan is post-mortem ? shortly after ?A New Hope?.
    Dedication: This story is dedicated to a few people, actually. The wonderful CalaisKenobi, who betas and conquers in all fields. The simply good little apprentice Jess, for without her I?d be insane. And entirely to the magnificent, the divine, the chaotic ? Sister Mary. I?d be lost without you guys.

[i]?Why do I get the feeling that some day you?ll be the death of me??[/i]

The Force, it seems, is not without its own twisted sense of malicious irony. It was not until now that, in the midst of remembering and twisting the blade of regret into my chest, that the words were thrown back into my face with the sharp pang of a whip. I had said the words so long ago, and yet now it seemed as though my lips were just now relaxing from speaking.

How much would I give? How much would any of us give to know then what we know now ? to know what fate had waiting in the wings for you and have the power to change it? In my time of this eternal silence, I find myself thinking of what cost I would pay for the all of the yesterdays. It seems that I would give almost any price to hold them all in the palm of my hand and be able to pick through them ? perhaps find where it all went wrong so that I could change all this.

I?ve not known a body since I vaguely felt the blade of Darth Vader cut into my side. I scarcely felt it, as I entered the limbo that would most likely keep me for eternity. I knew that I was not leaving the duel alive ? and I had every intention of performing this vanishing act when it became necessary. I had more to do than my body ? worn and ragged at the edges, as much as I was reluctant to admit ? would permit me. My body had served its purpose, but simply becoming ?one? with the Force was not going to be enough to end this crusade that my debt of guilt has pinned me to.

And so this is the price that I will pay, and continue to pay, as long as it is needed. I will stay here and guide this young Luke towards his destiny and my salvation, forsaking myself possibly forever of meeting the friends and colleagues I once knew. Like so many times, I will be left behind as others before me will go, though this time it is voluntary.

In many ways, being here is almost like my hut on the floating grain of sand. I?ve had to stay, while the loved before me have gone on. I know that I still have a little more to do? but just for a short moment I?d like to talk to Yoda, perhaps. Master Windu would surely give me one more short lesson and a nod to help me on this last mile of travel.

I sometimes fool myself into believing that Qui-Gon Jinn wouldn?t be the first person I would call on. It?s only for a brief moment, but what is brief in this place? I haven?t learned. It could be years. When you have eternity, the years pass like sand through your fist. The last thing I need, though, is a simple metaphor relating to sand. Decades of actually feeling the sand sifting through one?s hands while you angrily pummel it with your fists can give you an ingrained phobia of sorts.

Though I have not spoken to him, except for in my desolate mind, for over four decades, I can still remember all of the practiced conversations that we would have once I met him. He would smile and I would finally look at him as my equal ? something I always dreamed of as a padawan but had never achieved. Afterwards, we?d launch into a long discussion on the philosophies of some topic they were discussing in the Senate like we used to have until the rays of the sun glittered off of the forest of metal surrounding the Temple. When we finally met again, it would be as though nothing had happened. As though I hadn?t heard the stabbing words in my mind for days at a time.

But afte

2. CalaisKenobi

CalaisKenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    *revives Bekka * *HUGS!!!* :D

3. Master_Comedy_Kitty

Master_Comedy_Kitty Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2002
    I LOVE IT!!! *jumps on CK and Bekka*

4. TheFallen

Nov 27, 2001
    * Gets mauled * [face_love] Thank you both! I actually... :eek:... worked on this one. Now up up up!

5. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    :eek: That was strange and depressing. :p

But I commend you on your writing skill. ;) And it makes sense this time, with the whole thing written! ;)

Good job. :)

6. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Not USUALLY one for Obi-pity tales as they turn out to be, but this one was wonderful!

*methinks in my heart of hearts that at the VERY end, Anakin himself would be the one who put the 'coins' in his hand of memeory...*

Bravo...

7. mouse2

mouse2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    The title seemed to draw me in and I'm so glad it did.

Brilliant TheFallen! I couldn't help but tear up at young Obi putting the coins in the Scion's hand at the furneral.

I will eagerly be keeping an eye out for your stuff! Fantastic! :)

8. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    Brilliant!! Simply brilliant!!

9. JediClare

JediClare Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 8, 2001
    This. Is. Depressing. :_|

But very good! I like the title too.

10. TheFallen

Nov 27, 2001
    Obaona - That was strange and depressing. - You expected something else from me? [face_blush] Thank you very much, oba. Fellow handmaidens unite! ;)

DarthBreezy - *methinks in my heart of hearts that at the VERY end, Anakin himself would be the one who put the 'coins' in his hand of memeory...* - Aah, a girl after my own heart. ;) I think the same thing, but I didn't go that far. :p

mouse2 - Thank you! You're a wonderful reviewer and it's always great to hear that I have a potential stalker! :D It makes me feel warm and tingly. ;)

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi - Brilliant!! Simply brilliant!! - :eek: Why thank you! * Passes out from happiness *

JediClare - I got the inspiration for the story from the title. I have a bad habit of thinking of a title and THEN writing the story. :p

Thank you all for your replies! You're WONDERFUL and most of you know how addicting feedback is. ;) Speaking of which - any more lurkers? :p

THEFALLEN

11. Master_Comedy_Kitty

Master_Comedy_Kitty Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2002
    And up it goes... :D

12. TheFallen

Nov 27, 2001
    One last up? ;)

13. Jedi_Suzuran

Jedi_Suzuran Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2002
    *blinks, completely blown away*

Wow. Wow! That was incredible. The imagery, the language, everything. Impressive, most impressive. :)

Great job!

14. Falls_the_Shadow

Falls_the_Shadow Jedi Youngling star 3

May 31, 2002
    Another excellent addition to the genre of post-Ep III Kenobi.

Fallen, you have just created the demand for sequels, you do realize that.

Just how do you see the coins paid? What dialogue, if any, would you see between Kenobi and his former apprentice?

Backing up, what about Kenobi's thoughts inbetween Luke's encounters with Anakin?

Falls walks off whistling while the plot bunnies hatch. [face_mischief]

15. Chaos_Rose

Chaos_Rose Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    Playing catch-up and WOW! Bekka, what a tale! It was lovely - depressing and sobering for very personal reasons - but just beautiful!

16. Psycho-Freak

Psycho-Freak Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 30, 2002
    Oh, look here. I found another story :D

:( Sad, sad. Poor... err... why don't you just kill him already! Oops, he's already dead. Oh well.

Only you can write stories so deppresing yet so great :p

17. Linari_Tanis

Linari_Tanis Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 25, 2002
    [face_plain] Umm....I don't know ....it's not that great...it seems...stupid

:D Just kidding Bekka!!! ;) I loved it! You always seem to find the best way to tie two things together! Even Greek Mythology and Star Wars! Your great Bekka! :D I love all your stories!

18. Cheryl_Kenobi

Cheryl_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 6, 2001
    very depressing. My kind of story!!!!! love it.

19. rogue11lovesjag

rogue11lovesjag Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    ?Why do I get the feeling that some day you?ll be the death of me??

The Force, it seems, is not without its own twisted sense of malicious irony.

Absolutely awesome. Great job!

~Rogue

20. TheFallen

Nov 27, 2001
    * Is still in shock * I'm so happy that so many of you liked this! :D I actually WORKED on this one and I like to think I did a really good just. So thank you all for taking the time for replying!

And lurkers - shame on you! :mad:

THEFALLEN [face_mischief]

21. sheleigh

sheleigh Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2002
    *bows* Bekka, I'm not worthy!

That was brilliant!! Fantastic! BRAVO!

wow... so... depressing... That's a compliment...

-sheleigh

22. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    Empress Amsie had a photo of a sailor
    Whose apparel was nothin but an Orange barrel
    Emmi did hate it
    She said something about it
    And now she wishes she hadn't

23. TheFallen

Nov 27, 2001
    That was a naughty, naughty limerick, Emmi. :eek: [face_mischief]

THEFALLEN

24. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    It's NOT MY FAULT! *points at Su* SHE MADE ME DO IT! ;)

(Your YJCC thread is becoming quite popular.)

25. JediSenoj451

JediSenoj451 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 24, 2001
    Oh my...the internal dialogue in that story was sensational. Very well done! And you're only fifteen. Funny how it seems that some of the best writers on these boards are the younger ones. :p

I'm glad you posted this in the index, otherwise I would have missed it. Keep up the good work! :D

~*Senoj*~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.