main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:WA PC Games

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Jedi Daniel, May 31, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    The few that are non violent are generally not everyone's cup of tea. Riven for instance. I got it free with my DVD drive. I played it for a while. Yawned a bit. Moved on. Myst and Riven were big sellers but didn't do anything for me.

2. MarkI

MarkI Former TFN Games Staff star 1 VIP

Jun 8, 2001
    SimCity3000. Sure, you can start riots and fires, but thier ain't no blood in sight!!

3. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    Still violent, and for the record, I have no problem with violence in games, I'd much rather anyone with those tendencies took them out on a fictional character.

4. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    my thoughts exactly SM, I'm wondering if the CIA has found a way of proving that Osama Bin Laden was a mad command and conquer fan and that is where he got the idea to blow stuff up. ( if it was him that is )

5. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    I guess that's one thing that's always been unique about Starwars and it's reflected in its games. Starwars has wars and plenty of action but there's never a lot of blood & gore.
    The games are similar. For example, you don't exactly see a lot of blood and guts in Jedi Knight compared to all the gibs in its main competitor of the time, Quake II. But how many of you would pick Jedi Knight as being the better game of the two? I know I would by a long shot.

6. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    One thing JK has that Quake never has had, a decent storyline....

7. Stinky_jawa

Stinky_jawa Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2000
    Quake has a storyline?

8. Stinky_jawa

Dec 7, 2000
    Sorry again to go back to the original topic ;) but heres a beta for the most serious ppl out there. Motor City Online, what looks to be an awsome game. (altho the point of the game is a mystery)

Download Here

Beware the Beta is 428mb!!!!!! And there is a registration process to go through as you can only play it online. Even if your not interested, have a look at the site.

P.S. - JD, that site also has the demo for that Dinosaur Island.. Thought you might like that.. ;)

9. MarkI

Jun 8, 2001
    Starting playing Jedi Knight again, just to get into the swing of things when Jedi Outcast comes along.

10. Stinky_jawa

Dec 7, 2000
    Ahh, Jedi Knight.. classic, and the graphics and gameplay still hold up to todays standards fairly well :)

11. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    I would pick Jedi Knight Dark Forces 2 to be better than any of the Quake games. It's a classic and the grpahics are still good for today's standards.

Thanx for that link SJ.

12. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    To some people it's no secreat that I've never been a Quake fan. When Quake came out, I thought it was nothing more than a less fun version of Doom II. At the time I thought Duke Nukem 3d was a much better game to play. With Quake II it was Jedi Knight.
    I never even bothered to buy Quake III. The demo showed nothing new except the graphics engine. I don't miss the graphics. I get them in later games that take those same graphics and improve on them like Jedi Knight Outcast and Startrek Elite Force.
    These days ID don't seem to do anything except create a boring game that provides the graphics engine for other prople to make great games. Enough ranting about ID.
    Did I mention I'm looking forward to Outcast?

13. SoulKrusher

SoulKrusher Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 25, 2000
    I know I prefer Unreal Tournment over Quake 3 anyday. Jedi Outcast does look promising...

did you know Raven Software are using the Quake 3 engine :) heavy modified of course though.

14. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    I prefer Quake 3 over Unreal Tournament.

15. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    I just played my first game of Max Payne, finally, a game that has realistic depiction of gun combat.
    and that bullet-time, sweeet :D

16. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    I have played very few games from those mentioned above, I have never played Quake, Unreal tornament, Half-life and I have never seen max payne. I THINK I may have briefly played jedi knight, once.

17. MarkI

Jun 8, 2001
    Raven will be adding some effects created in the new Doom3/Return to Castle Wolfenstein engine for Outcast.

On another note, anyone here played Alien vs Predator? If you haven't, don't. Because Alien vs Predator 2 will be out soon. Head to head with Outcast, possibly. That my be an interesting battle.

18. slaveone_2

slaveone_2 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 1, 2001
    Soldier of Fortune II is coming out soon, that looks very promising.

Has anyone noticed that Return to Castle Wolfenstein is VERY simliar to Quake III? Despite having an modified Q3 engine, it has the same crosshairs, same rocket launcher firing patterns, HUDs are very, very simliar, models move the same as they do in Q3, its all very Q3 to me.

19. Stinky_jawa

Dec 7, 2000
    Yes, played Alien vs Predator, a good game, with enough aliens dropping from the ceiling to scare the *ahem* out of most ppl.. Anyone else played the demo for AVP 2? I was rather dissapointed by the demo, hopefully the full game will be better.
    I think outcast will win hands down though.

As for the ppl saying they cant see what the quake series did for the gaming scene. Look at just some of the things quake introduced:

1) The ability to LOOK UP AND DOWN!
    2) Fully 3d character models (look at Duke3d and the original Wolfenstein, the ppl were 2d)
    3) Environmental lighting conditions - In almost every game until that point, the lights were on or off.. no glowing things, no muzzle flashes etc..

And there is more.. but I wont go on.
    Sure, the quake series of games arnt that good. But they introduced/developed features that all the games to follow use successfully.
    -Here endeth the rant-

Btw, I think you will find that castle Wolfenstein uses the quake 3 engine, not the doom3.. probably a typo.. but hey.. ;)

SM - Glad your enjoying it. I have a matrix mod for it. Really hard, but good fun.

*After the installation of SJ's new video card, it increases the performance of his PC to such monumental proportions that it develops its own AI and decides to go for a cup of coffee.. AFTER its attempt at world domination*

20. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    What you were saying about ID is what I think I was trying to say. Their first games (Wolfenstein, Doom) were great in their time. Great innovations and great games. Their Quake series on the other hand only get half of that right. Great innovations but the games themselves suck. It's always left to someone else to take those innovations and make a decent game from them.
    As for Aliens vs Predator, glad you mentioned it. It's one of my favourite FPS games. Playing as the marine is one of the few game experiences that I've found was genuinely scary. And playing as the alien is just plain fun! Love seeing the terrified looks on the faces of the marines when you get up close! They look the way I feel when it's the other way round. :)
    Haven't seen much of the sequel. I'll wait until the full game's out before checking it out I think.

21. Stinky_jawa

Dec 7, 2000
    looooove to play AVP multiplay..

Imagine if you will.. 20 odd marines wandering through tight tunnels... 1 well placed alien charging like an bat out of hell can create quite a scene.. hehe..
    As you can guess, Alien is my fav class.. [face_devil]

22. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    I think the Alien's the most fun to play. Of course even playing as the alien can be scary. You run up behind a group of marines. They turn around and you realise one of them has a mini-gun. Ouch!

23. slaveone_2

slaveone_2 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 1, 2001
    I've seen a Alien jump into the middle of a marine formation, and get fragged, but yet kill the marines with its acid blood. It was very funny.

24. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    Aliens Vs Predator is an excellent multiplayer game. Being an alien and creeping around scarying the hell out of ya friends.

I was dissapointed with the Aliens Vs Predator 2 demo. Not that much of an update that I can see only the inclusion of a save feature.

25. Stinky_jawa

Dec 7, 2000
    Which the original has if you get the update. :) or the Gold edition.

With AVP2 I was dissapointed in the graphics, the gameplay is good, the lighting and atmosphere is groovy (creepy) but I cant take an alien that looks like it came from Jim Henson's workshop seriously...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.