main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:WA PC Games

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Jedi Daniel, May 31, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    What? You've never sampled the delights of EverCrack -- er, EverQuest? :D

2. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    My first online experience was with Guild Wars, a very enjoyable game that one and free to play after the initial purchase. I've since graduated (so to speak) to WoW and I'm enjoying it. The key, really, is to be part of a good guild, the kind of people who organise group quests regularly and help out newcomers. It makes the experience far more entertaining, like I have.

3. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    This *is* actually on-topic. There's actually about thirty more, but 100 is probably enough.

THE UNWRITTEN RULES OF ALL COMPUTER RPGS.

1. Sleepyhead Rule
    The teenaged male lead will begin the first day of the game by oversleeping, being woken up by his mother, and being reminded that he's slept in so late he missed meeting his girlfriend.
    2. "No! My beloved peasant village!"
    The hero's home town, city, slum, or planet will usually be annihilated in a spectacular fashion before the end of the game, and often before the end of the opening scene.
    3. Thinking With The Wrong Head (Hiro Rule)
    No matter what she's accused of doing or how mysterious her origins are, the hero will always be ready to fight to the death for any girl he met three seconds ago.
    4. Cubic Zirconium Corollary
    The aforementioned mysterious girl will be wearing a pendant that will ultimately prove to be the key to either saving the world or destroying it.
    5. Logan's Run Rule
    RPG characters are young. Very young. The average age seems to be 15, unless the character is a decorated and battle-hardened soldier, in which case he might even be as old as 18. Such teenagers often have skills with multiple weapons and magic, years of experience, and never ever worry about their parents telling them to come home from adventuring before bedtime. By contrast, characters more than twenty-two years old will cheerfully refer to themselves as washed-up old fogies and be eager to make room for the younger generation.
    6. Single Parent Rule
    RPG characters with two living parents are almost unheard of. As a general rule, male characters will only have a mother, and female characters will only have a father. The missing parent either vanished mysteriously and traumatically several years ago or is never referred to at all. Frequently the main character's surviving parent will also meet an awkward end just after the story begins, thus freeing him of inconvenient filial obligations.
    7. Some Call Me... Tim?
    Good guys will only have first names, and bad guys will only have last names. Any bad guy who only has a first name will become a good guy at some point in the game. Good guys' last names may be mentioned in the manual but they will never be referred to in the story.
    8. Nominal Rule
    Any character who actually has a name is important in some way and must be sought out. However, if you are referred to as a part of a posessive noun ("Crono's Mom") then you are superfluous.
    9. The Compulsories
    There's always a fire dungeon, an ice dungeon, a sewer maze, a misty forest, a derelict ghost ship, a mine, a glowing crystal maze, an ancient temple full of traps, a magic floating castle, and a technological dungeon.
    10. Luddite Rule (or, George Lucas Rule)
    Speaking of which, technology is inherently evil and is the exclusive province of the Bad Guys. They're the ones with the robots, factories, cyberpunk megalopolises and floating battle stations, while the Good Guys live in small villages in peaceful harmony with nature. (Although somehow your guns and/or heavily armed airships are exempted from this.)
    11. Let's Start From The Very Beginning (Yuna Rule)
    Whenever there is a sequel to an RPG that features the same main character as the previous game, that character will always start with beginner skills. Everything that they learned in the previous game will be gone, as will all their ultra-powerful weapons and equipment.
    12. Poor Little Rich Hero (Meis Rule)
    If the hero comes from a rich and powerful family, it will have fallen on hard times and be broke and destitute by the time the game actually starts.
    13. The Higher The Hair, The Closer To God (Cloud Rule)
    The more outrageous his hairstyle, the more important a male character is to the story.
    14. Garrett's Principle
    Let's not mince words: you're a thief. You can walk into just about anybody's house like the door wasn't even locked. You just barge right in and start looking for stuff. Anything

4. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    So, finally completed the single player campaign on Battlefront 2 ... hmmm. Non-event. Still, pwning the Rebels on Hoth was enjoyable -- especially when you pull out Darth Vader to move down those narrow passageways and just go medieval on the Rebellion's collective rear.

5. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    Really? It's far more fun running out of a trapped hangar bay as Luke Skywalker and opening a can of whoopa$$ on the collective Imperials waiting on the outside :p

6. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    I do rather enjoy the XL experience ... especially on Hoth. It's a camper's, er, sniper's paradise, and if you get one particular turret you can easily make 90-odd kills without losing a life. Good for the 'character advancement' thing. I just wish my CD key allowed online play :(

7. Symmbian

Symmbian Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 15, 2004
    I wandered into Lineage 2 and liked that greatly.

The last year has been spent playing, wait for it....WOW.

Yes I know.

8. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    Big question : Horde or Alliance? :p

I'm almost tempted to go back to Guild Wars. The new expansion pack looks great, and GW2 is in the works.

9. Symmbian

Jan 15, 2004
    Alliance, a mage.

10. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    I've resisted getting in to WOW since I doubt my ability to play in moderation. :p I recently bought a box with the starcraft and broodwars which included a 14 day WOW trial so maybe I'll give it a shot next holiday.

11. Symmbian

Jan 15, 2004
    Wow is really addictive.

LOL play it at your own peril, the last 12 months of my life have disolved into 50 levels of my mage character.

12. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    I can't say I'm addicted, I'll play a few hours here and there, but mainly on the weekends.

13. SithLord-Mixo

SithLord-Mixo Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 21, 2002
    I am starting to play Dungeon Runners. Why? Because I love Diablo 2 and do not want to pay to play an MMO lol

14. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    I think I'm getting hooked on Tiger Woods PGA 2007, and I'm not really a golf fan (though I don't mind going out for a hack every now and then)

15. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm mostly playing Guild Wars, but once I get my Tantra account back I'll be playing that too. :)

16. Stinky_jawa

Stinky_jawa Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2000
    Never liked WoW, gameplay was terrible and the teamwork aspect was rubbish, everyone blames each other and yells a lot...

Been playing Two Worlds recently, The online component is pretty sweet, shame the game is a little buggy. But Gameplay-wise it reminds me of Diablo 2, despite being 3D (3rd person) and having some really badly written dialogue (like it was translated badly)

17. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm going to play Tantra again when I go back to Uni. I played it a few years ago and had to stop when it went pay-to-play. Now that it's free again I've got my account back, I'm just curious to see if I have my character.

18. Stinky_jawa

Dec 7, 2000
    Never heard of it, but looks good

19. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    It was. The language filter was odd though, it wouldn't allow 'ass' so the 'assassin' class had to be called something else. :D

20. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Well lately Susie and I have become addicted to wow so other games have been pushed to the side. :p

21. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
  22. Stinky_jawa

Dec 7, 2000
    Ha! That's great!

I'd rather another mmorpg didn't suck me in again. I did it once before and kind of look back at it as being a waste of time really. Sure I met people from other countries and such, but really none of them stayed in contact after stopping playing..

23. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    This is why I only play with people I know. I had a few friends who I play Tantra with and I mostly play Guild Wars either on my own or with friends from these boards. At least I know who I'm playing with to start with and I can stay in touch outside of the game.

There are probably better things I could be doing during term time, but during the summer there really isn't anything to do.

24. Stinky_jawa

Dec 7, 2000
    Don't get me wrong, I like playing mmorpgs.. I just tend to get addicted to the ones I have liked in the past. Spent more time on it than I would like to admit.

Playing mmorpgs with people I know - I don't really know anyone that likes that sort of game. Or has the time to play it.. There's a general opinion it seems that a lot of people have against mmorpgs..

Most of the guys I work with are computer nuts, but after a full day doing this job, the last thing most want to do is fiddle with computers or games.. I'm just an exception I guess ;)

25. SithLord-Mixo

SithLord-Mixo Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 21, 2002
    Fury looks good for some quick MMO PVP action. Forget grinding and get straight into action.

http://www.unleashthefury.com/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.