main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:WA PC Games

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Jedi Daniel, May 31, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I don't care to think about the time I've spent playing games. Unfortunately Steam now keeps records of how long you play games on the Steam platform, it's worrying how much time I've spent playing Day of Defeat, and it's not a MMORPG either.

MMORPGs are addictive, and I think a lot of people either exaggerate this or go on the extreme players who do nothing but play. One of the reasons why I like Guild Wars is that I don't feel like I have to play 24/7, I can go for a long time without playing and I don't have to worry about value for money.

I've never liked PVP, I don't know why either. I guess I just like the RPG aspect of the games.

2. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    I tend to agree, MMORPG's are the kind of game you can pick up and play easily over time. Only true 'hardcores' play constantly. As it is, I only play WoW a few hours a week, if that. I'm lucky that I'm in a guild with people I know, so there's plenty to do whenever I decide to log in. And because the game is constantly updated, expansions, etc, there's always new content floating around, which makes the long term enjoyment all the more rewarding, to a degree.

3. Stinky_jawa

Stinky_jawa Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2000
    The mmorpgs I've played all felt like they required huge amounts of time to do anything at all. (galaxies, everquest 2)

PVP was always seems to bring out the worst in people online (in galaxies anyway) I found. Sometimes it was ok, but mostly someone would get p/o'd and then just be an ass..

4. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    When I started on WOW I made the mistake of playing on one of the us servers since I dind't realise there were oceanic servers. Means there's always a lot less people playing when I'm on. That has some advantages but it means that hardly anyone in our guild's on. Since I mostly play with Susie it's not a biggie though.

5. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    You should transfer the character to an Aussie server and join my guild :)

6. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    I would, but now I've got a few characters on there plus a guild of my own. Don't want to pay to transfer several good characters adn guilds can't be transferred. Plus Susie's also got several characters she plays on the same realm with me. Should have done it earlier. I do have one character on the Nagrand server which is oz but I've never really played that one since I've already put so much time in to the others.

7. SithLord-Mixo

SithLord-Mixo Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 21, 2002
    Just finished MOH Airborne for the first time. 4-5 hours max gameplay. Series is looking and acting very tired. The last level goes slightly Wolfenstein like. AI is not great. Up close nazis are sometimes very stupid, on the other hand focus on one from a great distance with a rifle and he will know it and hide! Very COD like and no real stand out challenges.

8. Stinky_jawa

Dec 7, 2000
    Been playing Two Worlds myself..

Great game..

Has lots of bugs, but really great game.. Feels like Diablo in 3d.. hack n slash RPG.. lots and lots of bugs.. seriously... and it's still worth playing..

Might peeve ya off though :oops:

9. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    Sounds a bit like Gothic 3. Loved the game and kept playing to the end despite numerous annoying bugs. Unfortunately when I got the the end, a bug prevented me from actually seeing the ending. :mad: Their discussion forums are rife with complaints about the bugs.
    KOTOR2 was a bit like that for me too. Big disappointment considering how good the first one was. I know a lot of people who played it without any problems but you don't have to go far through the lucasarts forums to see just how many bugs there are and how many people are affected by them. Like a lot of people I had to resort to using cheats just to get through one section.

10. StormyT

StormyT Jedi Youngling

Oct 1, 2007
    anybody say CRYSIS!! [face_laugh]

11. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    I'm definately looking forward to Crysis.

12. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    Just read up on Gears of War for PC, comes out next month, and the additions sound impressive. Four additional chapters originally left out from the 360 edition that are available to play from the outset (but, apparently, very difficult to complete), map editor, Unreal Engine 3 improvements, Live style achievements, etc etc. I've played the 360 version, but not enough of it, so this might be worth picking up.

13. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Ooh, I was tempted by Gears of War but I don't have a 360.

I'm waiting for the Half Life Orange Box to come out. :D

14. Stinky_jawa

Dec 7, 2000
    Been hanging out for the crysis demo, shame it was delayed last month.. but yeah, should be good.

GOW was ok, not the best game, but I'm not going to re-buy it for PC when it comes out. Loved the Co-op on Live, that was fun.

And yeah, Orange box looks good too, got that on pre-order. However, mostly for Portal, that game looks like it could melt your brain if it's hard enough.

15. SithLord-Mixo

SithLord-Mixo Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 21, 2002
    I agree. What was so good about GOW? Really? It did not play extremely well

16. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    I haven't played enough of GoW to say whether it's good or bad, but from what I have played, it's more strategy oriented then just run and gun, bit more in your face action.

Anyway, I have Halo 3. Good stuff so far :)

17. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    I hate consoles anyway so not getting GOW doesn't bother me. Bloody kids toys resoponsible for far to many pc games franchises being dumbed down or moved off the pc platform. :p

18. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    I have to argue with you there, Soneil. Play Halo 3 multiplayer for a while and tell me it isn't enjoyable ;) or Quake Wars, for that matter ... hell, have you played Bioshock? :p

19. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    Played the PC demo. I haven't played a decent console game that isn't also available on PC or doesn't have a very similar equivalent on PC. I'm a little over the FPS genre and none of the console FPS games I've played are much of a match for the big guns in the PC arena anyway. :p
    I guess I'm opposed to console games on principle as much as anything. I hate the way so many developers get big by making a successful pc game and then thumb their noses at the pc gamers who gave them their success, by releasing future versions for the more lucrative console market. COD3 for instance is one of numerous examples. It wasn't console gamers that made COD such a huge success so why is there no bloody pc version of # 3. :mad:

20. Stinky_jawa

Dec 7, 2000
    Strangely Bioshock and Halo 3, both of which people raved about coming out.

While I didn't hate them, I seriously had to 'force' myself to play them (not really force, but you know what I mean, there's no love). There was no 'oo, gotta play this' feeling. They're not unfun, as it were. They're just not fantastically fun.

Remember Half life, or Jedi Knight when they came out? THAT was fun, they made me want to keep playing into the wee hours of the morning. That's a good game in my opinion. I can't remember the last game that was like that.

And yeah, it sucks how PC games are treated unfairly to consoles. However, in some cases recently a few of the console games have been coming out a few weeks if not more, after the PC releases. So it's not entirely one way. For C&C3, it was more like a month earlier for PC.

But, when I got the 360 I was surprised how PC-like it was anyway, other than the controls and whatnot. It's integrated into the internet, will connect automatically, if it's set up to. It felt different to the crappy consoles I've had in the past that were single units, isolated and limited. If you want to play multiplayer with this, it's just a matter of finding a server or a friend that's on that wants to play.

lol, sound like a salesman. But anyway. Yeah, that's it. If you don't like consoles, it probably wont make any difference. Consoles seem to be where the market is at the moment. I can't say that I think that they'll take 100% of the market. But depends what future generations of consoles are like. Hopefully more reliable than the 360 ;)

21. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    *shrugs* Never had a problem with my 360, and I purchased it on launch day over a year ago. Been nothing but reliable :) Different experiences for different people, you only ever hear about the small percentage of people who have had problems anyway.

As it is, I've never played more on my PC lately then ever before, thanks in no small part to WoW. But I grew up with consoles, back to the Commodore 64 days through to the Nintendo era. I didn't get into PC until Quake.

Bioshock is a dream to watch, beautiful. And it's nice to have an FPS that concentrates on the single player campaign. Halo's fun, always has been. I agree with Stinky, the 360 makes online gaming that much easier, it's a breeze.

But the only game I'm really dying to get my hands on, is Super Mario Galaxy. And that's less then a month away.

22. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    Only system apart from a pc that I have played on a lot is a C64 and I'd consider that to be more in the pc than console family. It may have used a tv in place of a dedicated monitor but that's about the only way that it's closer to a console. Closer to a pc in every other respect - hence its legendary status as a gaming platform. :p

23. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    C64 > Nintendo (on a what-they-got-out-of-64K basis and the sheer versatility of the machine.) :D

24. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    For its time I think the C64 is the greatest game machine there's been. Some awesome games with such limited technology that are still a lot of fun with an emulator. It was years before pcs or macs had anything close and nintendo/sega etc took a couple of years to match them.

25. Stinky_jawa

Dec 7, 2000
    Never knew the joy of the c64.. only ever had a VIC20 :confused:

Edit: as for the 360 reliability, it's a little hit and miss. I had a good console, it almost lasted a year. Got a different one now (thanks to EB's swap warranty). I know 2 other people who have 360's, other than yourself. Both have had them back for maintenance. In fact, LBJ's is dead at this moment I think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.