main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:WA PC Games

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Jedi Daniel, May 31, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I can't wait for the Orange Box to come out, it has HL2, HL2 Episodes 1 & 2, Portal and TF2. I won't be out for a few days now, and I won't be getting my copy for two weeks. It's a good thing I pre-ordered it but waiting for it to come out here after it's already been released in the US sucks. :(

2. Stinky_jawa

Stinky_jawa Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2000
    I believe you can download it on Steam if you own a PC. Which requires purchasing it (obviously) online.

But yeah, waiting for it on 360.. Not sure if I'll go through HL2 again, or go straight to the new episode, but might be nice to go through the story again.

Really want to have a crack at portal too... repeating myself I think though *looks up half a page* lol

bored.. works dull, should make a game of it..

3. LBJ

LBJ Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 12, 2004
    Yup Stinky is correct my 360 is currently somewhere between Perth and Sydney shipping in for some repairs. I bought mine at launch as well and it worked fine until last Saturday afternoon when as it was booting up it displayed the good old red rings of death. Luckily it's under the three year MS extended warranty (for that specific error) and hopefully it'll last a long time after I get it back and maybe have some of the new(er) components they now use?????? (hope hope).

Karty is right in that you only ever really hear about the people who have had problems with their console and not the ones that are working fine but either way you look at it there's been A LOT of console failures happen just by perusing the xbox forums.

4. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    If you got the 4K add-on cartridge it would have really smoked.

:D

5. Stinky_jawa

Dec 7, 2000
    Think we did. It had the riser board out the top with modules all over it. Would have to ask my dad what they were though, was a bit too young to give a hoot. All I needed was typing Load, and pressing play on tape ;)

I miss those days sometimes.

Then I think of the load times.. and flipping tapes.. and getting to the end of the loads to get "syntax error".. Still fun though :D

6. Stinky_jawa

Dec 7, 2000
    Would love to know the exact figures on the fail rate. But you can bet your bottom dollar that MS would never say. Or if they did they wouldn't be honest about it. I know a lot of people specifically join the forums to complain when their consoles die. But with some people having gone through upto 5 consoles, it's either extremely bad luck, bad reliability or they're just not treating their machines right.

7. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    Last I heard, of the consoles released within the first year of its lifespan, between 40% and 60% of consoles were returned and replaced. Hence the changes to warranty conditions. The number has since reduced drastically, and I haven't heard any major problems since then. It's really only the earlier batch of consoles, and not as much from the last say year or so.

What's interesting is the fact that, in many ways, Microsoft has owned up to hardware issues and fixed the problems without too much fuss. They're really trying to get on the good side of the consumer, despite the early problems. I understand the frustration, but it's just reassuring to know that they are fairly supportive and understanding, especially coming from Microsoft :p

8. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I don't have the right cards to buy them online. I'd rather have a DVD copy as well, it'll be quicker to install it.

They do seem to be doing all they can to keep customers happy. Knowing my 360 might break and that I can get it sorted is a lot more reassuring than Sony who, um, let's just say I disagree with recent changes to the PS3.

9. Symmbian

Symmbian Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 15, 2004
    The first time Sony fired up the PS3 it fried.

I remember my PS one going mental one day cause I played it for hours straight.

Mind you, my 64, super nes, nes, and every other console I had worked fine. So no you dont hear enough about consoles working well
    and giving the owners hours of trouble free gaming.

Portal, theres something not quite right about that game. Very eery. I've been waiting for it for ages, I imagine others as well.

Jace

10. Stinky_jawa

Dec 7, 2000
    Yeah, it's reassuring, but the support line is cringe worthy. I've worked in a call center and these guys sound like they're troubleshooting from a screen with no experience.

I've had to replace just about everything to do with my 360. The unit itself (thankfully didn't bother with MS and went to EB's), my HD-dvd player And now, my wireless wheel.

Everyone got the message on live about it I think. On calling the support desk I'm not allowed to use my external power pack (means running it on batteries - ie: no force feedback), as my specific wheel product number has a history of spontaneous combustion (ok, I exaggerate, just smoking with heat). When I asked what the solution is, the answer: "There is no plan as yet, just don't use your power pack with it and we'll call you when we figure it out"

Reassuring, yes, in some ways. I'd rather not be having the problems in the first place though. And I always dread calling them as you know you're going to get someone who either doesn't understand the problem or you don't understand their accent.

ps- I'm not a whiner. I like my 360, think it's the best thing since sliced bread.. except for raisin bread. Wouldn't swap it for 2x ps3's

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaah!

11. LBJ

Oct 12, 2004
    Agree about the support line, I've only ever called it twice I think, the first time was a nightmare but they got there in the end, the problem was a faulty wireless networking adaptor. The second time was for when my console got the rings of death, and I must admit that call was less painful then the first. But no they don't really sound like they have much experience, and are probably troubleshooting from an onscreen guide or something.

When my console died I was almost relieved in a way, I'd read so much about them failing and kind of new it would happen to mine eventually (maybe I manifested it?), I'll just be glad to get it back and hopefully have no more problems with it.

Heaps of cool games coming plus some I want to catch up on.

12. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    As far as I've seen, the only copies of halflife 2 episode 2 in the shops are the ones that also include the full game ans episode 1. Since I've already got them I'd rather not pay close to $100 for them. So the only way of getting them (no I don't like piracy) is to get it through steam which doesn't appeal to me. Like someone else said, I'd rather have it on a disc. You might be able to get it on a disc separately but I haven't seen it anywhere. Might have to ask in the shops.

13. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    The only way you'll get it separate is on steam, as far as I know. I'm picking it up for 360. There's a few games I'm looking at over the next month. Lego Star Wars Saga, Guitar Hero III, Naruto, Orange Box, Mario Galaxy ... man, so much good stuff.

14. Stinky_jawa

Dec 7, 2000
    That's about all I'm gonna get... maybe, and it's a big maybe, mass effect as well

15. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    Still yet to pick up PGR4 yet either.

16. LBJ

Oct 12, 2004
    Man there's a tonne of stuff I want over the next month or so;

Mass Effect
    Assassins Creed
    Hellboy (maybe)
    Ace Combat 6
    Need for Speed

Not to mention catch up on Bioshock and maybe Halo 3 as well as finish Conan when I get my console back of course. My wallet is crying but it's my birthday in November so hopefully I can arrange for at least some of those titles to be 'gifted' to me :D

17. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    I haven't been taking much notice of what's coming out. Been spending enough of my gaming time on wow. I'll probably get the sims vacation expansion (yeah I'm a simmer).

18. Symmbian

Symmbian Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 15, 2004
    I'm midway through Blazing Angels which I like a lot.

Here's hoping that AC 6 is worth the price tag

Symm

19. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    My problem right now is time. I don't have enough time to play them all :p lol. I've bought a few games this year that I just haven't had a chance to finish.

20. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    My problem is not having my gaming computer set up. :oops:

I have two computers, one with all my music and one with all my games. I should buy a new hard drive so I can transfer all my music onto my games computer, only problem is I don't know what connectors the gaming one has.

21. Stinky_jawa

Dec 7, 2000
    Time is always an issue with me too. Work's been going on a bit lately, what with a bit of a hectic personal schedule of late, they're building up a bit.

Getting to the point where I'm beginning to struggle to play games these days. When I find the time, I have other things that can be done as well.

But yeah, Portal was too short, wasn't quite 3 hours. Got some re-playability with level challenges and what not (ie: same level with a floor that'll kill you etc)

22. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Currently playing Transformers the Game.

Think GTA Vice City with big robots and a lack of blood. It's basically a movie marketing game, but I'm enjoying transforming and screaming round the city streets. :D

23. LBJ

Oct 12, 2004
    Ahhhhh time is a never ending issue.......once you take full time work hours, one yoga night, one movie night, trying to keep up with many comics, books, tv shows, movies, catching up with friends/family the time for video games just gets less and less.

Things would be so much better if we didn't need to sleep!

24. Stinky_jawa

Dec 7, 2000
    QFTW! or QFE!

I have heard that Transformers game is good. Haven't seen anything about it, might look for a demo.

25. Stinky_jawa

Dec 7, 2000
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.