main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:WA PC Games

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Jedi Daniel, May 31, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    You must be happy then, Lich King and all ;)

2. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Well Susie managed to be the first in our guild to reach lvl 80. I've been taking my time and exploring a lot of the new content. :)

3. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Nice. Say guys, how much should an XBox 360 controller set me back? Not the whole console, just the controller; my brother-in-law has a 360 and I plan to play co-op Saints Row 2 with him. :D

4. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    I've got a few spares if you want 'em.

5. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    They're USB aren't they? I don't have an x-box but I do have an xbox controller that I use on my pc. I've been told it's identical to the ones you get with an xbox. I don't remember the cost but I do remember that a wireless one would have cost about an extra $20 which I didn't need. I think it was about $40 from memory at harvey norman.

6. Stinky_jawa

Stinky_jawa Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2000
    40 odd wired, 60 odd wireless.

probably a little late

7. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    Been looking for ours since we moved. Got the kids a nice shiny new pc for christmas and some of their games are better with a controller. I can find their crappy old wireless one that's another brand but that's falling to bits. The xbox one would be perfect for some of their new games like the wall-e one. And of course they still like playing starwars lego and that one's definately good with a controller. Even I use a controller to play that and I generally hate using the things.

8. LBJ

LBJ Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 12, 2004
    Thought I'd kick this thread along a little...

*kick*

[face_thinking]

So....what games are people looking forward to!

For me it's

Aliens: Colonial Marines
    Batman: Arkham Asylum
    Fight Night Round 4

Currently playing Fallout 3....not very far into it.

Recently finished Fable 2 and looking forward to the next expansion.

9. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Batman: Arkham Asylum just looks wicked. :)

Any of this stuff coming to the Wii? My parents are apparently going to let me have the one that was packaged in with their plasma TV, so some suggestions for decent games would be appreciated.

And no, I refuse to buy Mario Kart. :mad:

10. LBJ

Oct 12, 2004
    I've come extrememly close to buying a wii several times in recent months however other costs have held me back. :_|

I've spend much time thinking about what games I would get though here's my list;

House of the Dead: Overkill
    Madworld (how could you not get this game)
    Zelda
    Shaun White's Snowboarding (using the wii balance board, this looks awesome!)
    Red Steel (possibly...apparently this isn't nearly as bad as the reviews would have you think)
    Force Unleashed (if only for the multiplayer component which looks pretty cool)

When wii motion plus comes out I think there will be some awesome stuff happening.

11. Stinky_jawa

Dec 7, 2000
    Wii - don't bother, I had one.. glad it's gone :p (lol, I can see the charm in it. Just nothing other than mario kart that I'd want to play and that doesn't exactly have longevity)

What I'm playing atm.

Lego batman.. omg, how I hate this game..
    Peggle - Good, in small sessions.
    Left For Dead - is ok. Fun in Multiplayer.
    Fallout 3 - finished the game, just need to finish the last 2 expansion/addons.
    Resident Evil 5 - had it ages, haven't put it in the 360 yet..

looking forward to:

Aliens: Colonial Marines
    Sacred 2
    Fable2 expansion
    Prototype <- if I could get one game a year I'd buy this..

12. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    I just got my wife a wii and wii fit. It's been a huge hit with the family.
    Main reason I got it is because I've never been interested in consoles when my pc has always been able to do everything most consoles can do and do it better (better graphics - more of the games I like, games not as simplistic etc). With the wii though, it's not just the same tired old thing. Not just dumbed down versions of what I do on my pc. It offers a different way of playing games and I like the change. The whole family gets right in to the sports and it's been more than just susie getting in to the wii fit.
    That's probably the best part. I've always been pretty fit and have no problem with exercise. She's not the same though and doesn't stick with any form of exercise for long. The wii fit though is something she's taken to with enthusiasm I haven't seen before and from my trial of it it seems like it is actually a good fitness program.
    I'm interested to see what some of the other games are like on it though I really didn't get it for me. Force unleashed on other consoles seems to me like just another boring console game but I'd love to try it with a wiimote. I got it mainly for the rest of the family and it's serving it's purpose nicely. I'm still happy enough with my pc. :)

13. LBJ

Oct 12, 2004
    "Dumbed down versions of what I do on my PC" "just another boring console game"

That's a bit harsh on the consoles don't you think? I don't argue that technology wise PC's have always been (and probably will always be) more advanced (and more costly) then consoles, that said they've had a much larger variety of games for years now...many things that you can't get on PC.

Also after sitting at a PC all day long at work, it's nice to go home and relax on the couch playing games on a 50 inch tv screen as opposed to sitting at a desk again and gaming on a PC. Consoles can also be great as a media hub between the PC and the tv.

Each to their own of course....but I don't think consoles are that inferior.

14. Stinky_jawa

Dec 7, 2000
    I can see both sides of the argument. (yay, way to commit, me)

I think the next generation consoles are going to be fantastic. Assuming they actually increase the level of detail and complexity of the games. I get a sneaky suspicion they wont be as big a jump as 360 and ps3 were from their predecessors.

Praising the wii for being different is a bit odd though. Yes, they're not dumbed down pc games. But a lot of it's games are actually dumbed downed console games. Force unleashed is a classic example.
    It's not a great game by any means on 360 or ps3, but the Wii version is reduced, chopped and changed. It's not the same game, it's much, much worse.

Graphically, 360 and ps3 are *almost* on par with PC's. If you put it on a smaller screen (ie: PC size) the games look as good. Merely blowing them up to 40-50inch screens makes any small issues bigger. But with the fast actioned pace they can do, it's hardly noticable except to the connisors.

Complexity, yes, I would say this is where current consoles are limited. But are getting better at. I played through Red Alert 3 on it and while the controls were different, they weren't bad. And control is the main loss I would say for consoles. But I'm not certain why. Both 360 and PS3 have an accessory; 'chat pad' which attach to the controller and have a mini (but full) qwerty keyboard (with all symbols available via function button).

If they made these buttons do something in-game rather than just for 'chat' messages, there's no limit to what you could do. Button binding, quick unit selections etc.

A couple of arguements for and against console games:

For - Grand Theft Auto 4. I recently borrowed it from a friend on PC. Now my pc isn't rubbish, but it also isn't brand spanking new (about 18months old). AMD6000, 2x3ghz cores. 2 SLI'ed 8800GT graphics cards, 10000RPM Raptor hard disk, 21inch LCD. To be blunt, the game runs like crap.
    Xbox360 is over 3 years old, I put GTA4 in, install it to the hard disk and blam. Runs well, no issues and looks great on a large LCD TV. No reduction in game complexity or control. It wont look as good as a super computer running PC GTA4, but a lot less hassles, no issues with drivers or glitches due to not having the right hardware etc.

Against - I recently downloaded the Sacred 2 demo for PC. And it runs well, looks good, but there are so many quick button menu's. There is no way the consoles will do this, and that is a big negative feature on the reviews for the console version so far: complicated, hard to get menus etc.

Games like Total War will not come to console until they can have the same level of control/input.

I agree with LBJ (except I'm a better JA player :p). I not only work at a computer all day, I support them as well and the last thing I want to do when I get home is troubleshoot my own pc to play a game.
    Sofa, cup of tea, big screen, launch straight into a game. = FTW ;)

15. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    I think you guys need to get a more comfy chair for your computer. ;) I work on a computer during the day and play on a computer at night no problems.
    Maybe I just haven't had enough experience with console games but any time I've been over someone's house and they want to show off their console by showing me their 'best' games I'm just not impressed. FPS seem to be the worst as far as feeling simplistic goes. It really seems to me like they are games made for younger players with a heavy emphasis on fast action and less emphasis on tactics, strategy etc. I figure if I'm going to get a machine with games made for younger players I'd rather get one that doesn't pretend to be anything else.
    Consoles certainly have the capability for more involved games as stinky pointed out. They just choose not to since the audience that likes the simpler games is far morre lucrative. I'd be a lot more interested in console games if there was more variety in the games you could get for them rather than so many of them being straight up action games.
    To be fair - the things I think consoles have in their favour:
    You buy a game - it works. No need to worry about compatibility with your machine, installing it etc.
    A game will work just as well on your machine as it will on others. You're not going to have to worry if your machine is too old for the game to perform well on it at a decent framerate etc. A game made for a certain console should work on that console. That also makes it much easier on developers.
    Harder to pirate games - yes I think that is a very good thing. I buy my games and think that people who don't have absolutely no right to complain about games if they're ripping off the industry.
    Consoles have decent sport games - pcs don't.
    Because of the popularity of consoles more and more games are being released for console and not pc. More pucrative market it all that matters to developers. I think that sucks, especially in the case of franchises that originally became big on pc but that's how it is.

On balance though I'd still rather stick to playing pc games.

16. LBJ

Oct 12, 2004
    So............................Borderlands! Looks awesome....

17. LBJ

Oct 12, 2004
    Still waiting for borderlands........

Finished the new Wolfenstein last night.....found it quite a chore to be honest. I'm not quite sure why....the game is fine, ravensoft did a good job but it all just felt very tired for me.

Next up will be Ghostbusters and Batman: Arkham Asylum (not necessarily in that order).

Also got Trine on my PC.....looks fantastic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.