main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming In the End They'll Beg Us to Save Them: The Deus Ex Series

Discussion in 'Community' started by moosemousse, Apr 16, 2010.

1. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Wouldn't the same be true of fridges too?

I hacked that security console I had problems with. The pay off was epic and well worth hacking the console for.

I had just seen the hacker who modified the ID card for TYM and the security forces stormed the building. The first time I escaped I shot my way out and then got caught by a mine in the bathrooms. Unfortunately it hadn't save my progress at all so I was put back right at the beginning. Just tried again wondering if I could get out with only take-downs. I didn't kill a single on of them, and it was awesome. Upgrading to the multi-take-down option made it possible, taking out two in one hit.

2. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    It would, though they're not nearly as common.

3. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    haven't been dying very much, just been making sure i don't really kill people unless i have no choice in the matter. this is a jensen that, while willing to kill, isn't terribly fond of it in general. next playthrough is the @$$hat jensen, and after that a no kill playthrough.

4. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    [image=http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6079/6092589002_b4604e7457_b.jpg]

I guess I won't be getting the "don't kill anyone" achievement or whatever it is. Not that I ever notice or look at Steam achievements.

5. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Heh, yeah, that's a sizeable pile of bodies there. :p

Just out of curiosity, has anyone read the novel? I got issue 1 of the comic as a pre-order bonus with my copy and I was looking to see if Forbidden Planet had the rest when I saw the novel.

6. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Nope, but I probably will at some point.

In other news:

[image=http://media.pcgamer.com/files/2011/08/Deus-Ex-Human-Revolution-what-is-the-missing-link.jpg]

DLC incoming? The resurrection of the Montreal hub, maybe?

7. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    It'd be interesting to see how and where it'd fit in, but then the Augmented Edition featured an extra mission though I don't actually know how/where/when to start it.

8. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Depends on where and how you got it. It was only being offered from certain stores.

9. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I got it from Game in the UK, and I got it for the 360.

Edit: Just had a look to see what I could find. I can only start the mission after a certain point in the game, so at least I know I haven't missed it already.

10. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Watching my friend play has been incredibly entertaining. He's trying to go for a stealth playthrough, but he's screwing it up by being clumsy - he'll sneak down a corridor only to bump something which then falls loudly to the ground and alerts a guard. Or he'll pick up a box, and drop it on something, which then falls loudly to the ground and alerts a guard. Or he'll sneak past an area with guards, only to get lost and wind up back in that area and be forced to kill everyone. [face_laugh]

11. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    [image=http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/9804/legendf.png]

Just managed it.

12. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I just finished it today. It'll definitely be a contender for game of the year come awards time, for me at least (and a lot of other people I'm sure). A pleasant surprise, because I honestly wasn't looking forward to it all that much until a few weeks ago.

Also, there is a post-credits scene for those of you who haven't finished yet. Only makes sense if you've played the original Deus Ex I'm guessing, 'cause I sure didn't get it.

13. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    You are correct.

14. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    the bonus mission for pre-ordering iswhere you get tong's son back. was interesting, but not anywhere near as hard as tong was suggesting.

thought it was a good game, finally beat it and saved before selecting an ending so i got to watch all of those the first time through. unless there's something different for killing everyone and not killing anyone, etc. don't know if i'd say GOTY, but certainly one of the better ones to come out this year. wonder what yahtzee will think about it, since i'd imagine he'll review it eventually.

what i'm betting is going to be game of the year, because we ALL know it's going to happen (:rolleyes:) is modern warfare 3. RPG of the year is going to be skyrim, most likely, so i'd guess that DE:HR is going to be on the outside looking in.

15. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm stuck, again! :(

I'm fighting YELENA FEDOROVA and she's proving to be impossible. Every time I get close it's like I've suddenly crouched or ducked or something and I just can't get away quickly enough. Can anyone help me with this?

Also, isn't burlywood a nice colour?

16. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    The fight is actually quite easy if you know what to do, especially if you've got the electricity immunity augmentation. Just shoot the large things along the outer wall: they'll electrify the area and temporarily paralyze her. Run up to her and shoot her in the face, then run away. Repeat until dead.

17. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    so THAT'S how you do it. i just followed her, threw EMP grenades (or gas, both worked) and shot her in the face with a fully upgraded shotgun twice. tried a number of other things, but that's what worked. also, follow the ripples in the water, and when she pauses grenade her, or do what TLI said, that way you'll knoww here she is at least.

18. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Did it! Then I went to buy some gear and just after I spoke to a bodyguard, only I pressed 'B' to skip the dialogue and took him down by accident! [face_laugh] :_| [face_laugh]

19. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    meant sniper, not shotgun. bleh, don't know what i was thinking.

20. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Done, according to Steam in 31.5 hours. 20 of those were spent trying to find a non-electrocuting entrance at the start of the final area. Well, almost. :p And then it turns out to be incredibly easy and obvious. [face_plain] But I often went back and forth in most places, to find most of the Traveller/Explorer places. Me want XP, moar XP!

Then, 3/4 through the game I already didn't know where to put my Praxis points, if not earlier. I didn't want the Typhoon, I didn't feel like cloaking (but got it towards the end, and it helped there a lot), I even stayed away from hacking turrets/bots to preserve some challenge. Cuz I was playing on Medium, I don't do hard difficulties, they're pointless. Protection against gas and emps is needed exactly one and a half times in the whole game, so that's a waste. The double takedown worked exactly once (accidentally; it involved an unlucky civilian...) as it's apparently foiled by chairs. Even the armor I got way late, as I avoided firefights or won them quickly enough - they come in handy for the annoying annoying bosses though, so there is that.
    The Icarus is awesome and terribly useful in China. I guess people forego that aug a lot, cuz... who is used to vertical level design anymore :p

But before you have more Praxis than you know what to do with, it's agonizing to pick one over the other. Finally a Deus Ex with useful augmentations and affordable skills. I hated the character customization in the original. Dumb augs, dumber skills. This one was much better thought-out, it felt like real progression - every once in a while you could do something new, and you could do it more than once every 2 hours (DX1's tiny tiny bio-energy pool was a frickin joke).

So that was fun. Wish it had a NewGame+, overpowered as that would be.

21. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    So, I take it this game is good?

22. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I found many opportunities for the double takedown. There are lots of times I came up behind two guards talking to each other and silently eliminated them together. And gas and emp protection became a life saver during boss battles. Grenade, get close and shoot them in the head until they are about to stop staggering, drop another grenade at your feet and repeat.

23. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    TwiLekJedi: really? I'm genuinely surprised. EMP protection is very useful as it protects against electricity, so you can walk through electrified areas without taking damage. This might need level 3 Dermal Armour too, but I'm not sure. The double takedown was the best thing I got. It can be tricky though as both the enemies have to be within arms reach, but with a bit of practice it'll come naturally.
    The Icarus is epic. A real life saver and very beautiful too. When I first went to Sarif HQ I was surprised when I died after jumping of the second floor.

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy: probably the best game of this year. It's just fantastic. The aesthetics are wonderful, the level design is superb with lots of different ways to get to places and a lot of vertical layers which I just love, the story is deep and the characters are well thought out, and there are a lot of twists that I didn't see coming. I'm so glad I preordered it and got the augmented edition.

24. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    Epic, guess I'll go order a copy off of Amazon now, been undecided for a while about it.

25. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Double takedown may have been the single most useful augmentation in the game for me, after the radar upgrade.