main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[PC, PS3, 360] Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by moosemousse, Jul 13, 2011.

1. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    In Warhammer® 40,000®: Space Marine® you are Captain Titus of the Ultramarines, humanity?s last hope for survival in a war-ridden future.

Step into the armor of this superhuman warrior and use a lethal combination of deadly weapons to crush overwhelming alien forces.

Fight against the savage Orks and the unholy forces of Chaos in a brutally violent world based on the richest science fiction fantasy ever created.

The Official Site

There's also this game on XBL. Completing this game will unlock a weapon for Space Marine.

I probably won't be getting the collectors edition, but I will be preordering it! I can't wait for it to be out.

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    If I had a PS3 or X360 I'd probably buy this. I'm a big Warhammer 40k fan.

3. Magellan_the_Cat

Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    Um, I think Dune might kinda overshadow Warhammer in that regard. Or Star Wars. Or Shanara. And there are probably about a dozen others I'm too tired to come up with at the moment.

4. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    There's always PC! That's what I'll be getting anyway.

5. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I disagree. Not only is there the main 40k game, but there's also the other battle games (Epic 40k and Battlefleet Gothic) and the miniature based RPG Inquisitor too, and the paper based RPG. Don't forget the all the species in the universe, each with their own detailed history and culture, as well as their own special rules and special characters. That's just the games. There are several art books, audio books, this huge list of novels. This article probably gives a better view of what there is to the 40k universe.

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Neither my laptop or netbook are gaming machines. They probably wouldn't be able to handle it. I usually stick to a console for gaming unless it's something simple like Solitaire.

7. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    360 must be pretty cheap these days, and considering the vast back catalogue, it's incredibly good value.

8. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I just haven't encountered the 'I must have this' game that would force me to buy a PS3 or X360. The 'must have' for the PS2 was SW: Bounty Hunter. (BH2 playing as Boba Fett would probably do nicely though.)

9. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I got 360 as mostly an impulse purchase. I'd been wanting the Halo Reach edition since it was available to preorder but I didn't want to spend the money at the time. When I finally decided to actually get it they'd stopped selling it, but as it happened I found a shop with one in stock so I just bought it. I think it just looks nicer than the regular ones with all its Halo-y goodness. AFAIK the only exclusives I've got are the Halo games and Forza 3. The fact that I could probably get most of the money back on ebay or something is just an added bonus. Oh, and I can play Black on my 360 too, which is an old XBox/PS2 game.

If/when you get a 360, definitely get Kill Team too. It's a great game and well worth 800 Points. Each level takes 20-40 minutes and there are five of them. Playing each one twice to pick up the achievement for completing with two different marines doubles the time, plus there's hunting for collectables and such. So there's at least five hours of play time there. Survival adds more, but how much more varies. To get the gold Aquila takes 3 minutes 20 seconds. If anything it'll pass the time until Space Marine comes out.

10. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Exciting news for PS3 owners!
    Not long now until PS3 owners can enjoy the awesomeness that is Kill Team. Having played each level several times I can say that it is definitely more than worth getting. :cool:

11. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    I like Warhammer 40,000 for the lore, not the table game. Having said that, I wouldn't be averse to a videogame version. Same with M:TG, virtual gaming > real-life gaming. If this is a kind of shooter game based within the lore as opposed to an RTS, that'd be even better.

12. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Space Marine is a third person shooter and not a strategy game.

13. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    Epic. I'll probs pick it up then, I need to refill the void left from my other games that I was forced to trade in for emergency funds.

Oh and FWIW I didn't mean that I thought it would be an RTS, merely thinking out loud that if I'm going to get a game set in the 40K universe, I'd rather have a shooter than a strategy game.

14. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    20 min gameplay preview (with commentary): http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-ex-warhammer-40000-space-marine/17-4640/

15. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Oh wow, that looks amazing! I'm super excited for it. [face_dancing] Thanks for sharing! [:D]

16. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Yeah does look pretty good, seems like they're stuffing it full of lore. Can't wait.

17. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    10 min multiplayer customisation video: http://youtu.be/IlurHvYx0Ro

=P~

18. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Cor blimey! :eek: That's way way way more than I was expecting. :cool:

I've just preordered my copy. I went for the 'Elite Armour Pack' version. While I was tempted by the collectors edition and the purity seal looks great and I'd love to have the art book, I think it's a bit too much right now. Especially as Deus Ex is out in two weeks, and Forza 4 is out shortly after this.

19. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    I think I'll just download it on Steam. Makes me wonder if the online community will last though, sure the Warhammer RTS games have a large following, but will they migrate to a 3rd person shooter?

20. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Downloading the demo now. :D Early reports are coming out that this game kicks arse.

21. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    No demo on XBL yet, I guess I'll have to wait for that. I'm so excited though.

22. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    It's available with Steam pre-orders. It'll be on Xbox and general PC on the 23rd I think.

Here we go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USMl7ksW0pM

That's the whole demo, so if you don't want to spoil it, don't click!

23. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    Trying to coordinate with friends on whether to get it on the 360 or PC.

This is annoying.

24. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm definitely getting this on the 360. My computer can't really handle much any more. The gameplay footage from the demo looks great though.

25. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Sorry for the double post but the demo is up on XBL and I'm downloading it now. If it doesn't show up under the Demos section then go to the title list and you should be able to get it under the main bit for the game. It seems that the servoskull prop on XBL is the most downloaded extra, though I'm rather partial to the 'blood for the blood god' shirt.

Edit: I wonder how fanboys would react if I put that on my avatar with a Halo helmet. ;)