Peace Throughout The World

Discussion in 'Milwaukee, WI' started by Skywalker1138, Jan 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bishop76 Jedi Knight

star 3
    You know, I was gonna post a response to this, but since I'm gonna see y'all tomorrow, I figure I'll hold off till then... that and I had a 10 hour day at work again and I'm really not jonesing to type a thesis paper.

But I do look forward to discussing this with you guys tomorrow. Even you, Dan - you anti-American traitorous pig dog. Commie too ;)

Better dead than red!

Jeff

Oh, in case the smiley didn't give it away, those last couple statements were jokes.
  2. solo414 Jedi Master

star 4
    AND NOW...A JOKE! "Just easin' the tension baby...just easin' the tension."

Saddam Hussein was sitting in his office when his telephone rang.

"Hallo Mr. Hussein!" a heavily accented voice said. "This is Paddy down at the Harp Pub in County Sligo, Ireland. I'm ringing to inform you that we're officially declaring war on you!"

"Well Paddy," Saddam replied, "This is indeed important news! How big is your army?"

"Right now," said Paddy, after a moment's calculation, "there's myself, my cousin Sean, my next door neighbor Seamus, and the entire dart team from the pub. That makes eight!"

Saddam paused. "I must tell you, Paddy, that I have one million men in my army waiting to move on my command."

"Begorra!" said Paddy. "I'll have to ring you back."

Sure enough, the next day, Paddy called again. "Mr. Hussein, the war is still on. We have managed to acquire some infantry equipment."

"And what equipment would that be, Paddy?" Saddam asked.

"Well, we have two combines, a bulldozer, and Murphy's farm tractor."

Saddam sighed. "I must tell you, Paddy, that I have 16,000 tanks and 14,000 armored personnel carriers. Also, I've increased my army to 1-1/2 million since we last spoke."

"Saints preserve us!" said Paddy. "I'll have to get back to you."

Paddy rang the next day. "Mr. Hussein, the war is still on! We have managed to get ourselves airborne. We've modified Harrigan's ultra-light with a couple of shotguns in the cockpit, and four boys from the Shamrock Pub have joined us as well."

Saddam was silent for a minute and then cleared his throat. "I must tell you, Paddy that I have 1,000 bombers and 2,000 fighter planes. My military complex is surrounded by laser-guided, surface-to-air missile sites. And since we last spoke, I've increased my army to TWO MILLION!"

"Jesus, Mary, and Joseph!" said Paddy. "I'll have to ring you back."

Paddy called again the next day."Top o' the mornin', Mr. Hussein. I am sorry to tell you that we had to call off the war."

"I'm sorry to hear that," said Saddam. "Why the sudden change of heart?

"Well," said Paddy, "we've all had a long chat over a bunch of pints and decided there's no way we can feed two million prisoners."

God bless the Irish.
  3. Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA•

star 6
  4. jedisister Jedi Master

star 3
    I've seen that one b4 andd its still great. Gotta love the Irish!!! And for my very short two cents worth in this debate, I pretty much agree with all that Marcy said. So, I'm not going to be redundate to wait she has said.(Yea Marcy, its pretty obvious that you watch too much CNN, but at least it shows your concern and your ability to gather facts and make a very strong and solid opinion. And I am impressed with the number of "baddies" you came up w/off the top of your head. Impressive, Most Impressive. :) ) Anyway, unlike probably the majority here, I voted for Bush and am glad I did. I support him and all the troops and I also pray for a quick resolve. I feel that the time for diplomacy is long gone. Action is needed. Action is now taken. May God protect all the troops that are fighting or on their way. I don't like war either, but war is part of our history, going all the way back thousands of years ago. Even God allowed His own heavenly armies to defeat the enemies of Israel. He also used an army of 300 to defeat an army of thousands. So, we are not without hope for a quick resolve(doesn't mean I'm saying we'll get that but, miracles can happen). So, that's my two cents worth. Oh, yea, and I really hope somebody gets a good aim at that Crazy Hussien. That dude is whacked!! To put it very simply!!

P.S. I agree that Hollywood should reschedule the Oscars. I mean, come on we just went to war!!! By the way, how many people can claim they had their wedding anniversary the day The US went to war with Iraq? I can!! whoopy. :p
  5. marajoan Jedi Knight

star 3
    Well, I hope you had a nice anniversary inspite of what happened that day. In regard to Hussein, I hope that we find a way to finish it this time. Usually, these crazies take the road that we would not do what is required to finish the job so he sits in a bunker underneath a daycare center filled with small children secure in the knowledge that we would not come after him there. I am not sure if I would want our military to go after him there. Usually the news media has been announcing far enough in advance that we are coming that he has time to be miles away and then if we do it, we miss him anyway. I believe in freedom of the press but isn't there a point where national security takes precedence. On September 11th, they reported the exact whereabouts of the President at every second even though he was being moved to avoid that knowledge being available to our enemies.
  6. TheWampas1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    Now that peace is becoming less and less of a possility, I just have to babble really quick.

I can't remember a successful Urban assault in recent history, everytime CNN mentions Baghdad I think Mogadishu. If they take it to the streets...then it's time to worry.

He's dug in at Baghdad and that will be a very tough situation, but let's all hope it doesn't get to that.

M
    :(
  7. Skywalker1138 Jedi Knight

star 3
    I got a letter from the Brigadere General yesterday of the US Army, and although Kevin is still in Ft. McCoy this weekend posted, the letter to me sounded like he's leaving overseas very soon. The letter was hand-signed. Kevin also got a new patch that is the US Flag (inside-out/reversed--so it looks like the flag is flying backward as you move forward against the wind) and it means "No Retreat"--when he returns he'll switch the patch to the other arm, so it's right-side-in. This week in Ft. McCoy they are breaking up the hospital to see if they have enough supplies (and obviously not enough comm equipment Kev says) to create more smaller hospitals which may benefit the troops in Iraq more.
  8. BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I really didn't want to see another war, but once it started, I supported it. Partially because Marcy informed me about the petition/deadline thingy in the UN with which Iraq had failed to comply; mostly because I didn't want to see our silly little country get nuked, bio-bombed, or bombarded by passenger planes ...anymore. I mean, America possesses the strongest military in the world, so it's times like that I feel the urge to root for the home team, y'know? It's just the captain of the team I'm worried about. :(

Now that it's essentially over (in theory), I'm pretty disappointed. They went in shootin', looking for Hussein and WMDs, and came back with niether. And I still don't have a job, so this idea that wars help the economy pretty much seems bunk!
  9. LauedGiind Jedi Knight

star 2
    I know that Iraq did not comply with deadlines and all....but that still does not give Bush the right to give false information to mislead the American Public opinion. I did not vote for him and he did not get the popular vote yet he was still elected into office. I knew I should have left the country when he got elected(did he?- government conspiracy). We have had such a hard time in America since he has been in office. Yes it has now personally affected me. Bush is losing support of the military and it's family members due to the length of time that our soldiers have been in these wars. Why should my husband go to Iraq when we need to be pulling our troops from Iraq's region. I feel sorry for the military family's that have lost their soldier due to the "cause" of Bush's revenge against Sadam Hussein. I am hoping that I won't lose mine.
  10. BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Let's just say... I miss Clinton. The economy was doing good back then. I had a job.

Even more so, I miss Theodore Roosevelt.
  11. SySnootles Jedi Knight

star 3
    I'm pretty sure I haven't posted in this thread previously, and that's for good reason. I prefer to keep my political and social opinions to myself. I can't see issues as black and white. That doesn't exist in my mind. But I saw this on a different board I frequent. It's was written by a gal who lives in Israel. It made me see how wonderful we have it here in the U.S. Warts and all.

"As for the constant strain? not so much either. You get used to it. Seriously, it might sound completely inhuman, but you do. I don't "live in fear" or go all Carpe Diem about everything, and nobody I know really does. *shrugs* it's that banality of the horror. You come to expect news about a neighbor's son that got shot in the army, or someone you used to go to kindergarten with who got blown up in a terrorist attack. You don't feel it anymore. If you would, you'd lose your mind, simple as that."

I may not agree with the administration at times, but there are some things that need to happen in order for us to keep what we have come to know as our way of life. I'm not saying that we would be in total chaos had we not attacked Iraq. I'm just saying that all in all, we could be a lot worse off than we are now.

Editted because I can't spell the name of any country other than our own, apparently.
  12. BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I agree with my esteemed colleague on this issue.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.