main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD Pearl Harbour Reminder

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Grieyls, Jun 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grieyls

Grieyls Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 2, 2000
    For those still interested, we will be meeting at Southbank Theatres, in the main foyer at 2:00pm on Saturday the 9th of June. That would be this Saturday people.

Do keep an eye out for further postings as the time may change depending on the release scheduall.

That is all!

2. Ghost_of_Caesar

Ghost_of_Caesar Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    That early? I thought it was going to be early evening.

Not that thatreally matters. I plan to be there.

3. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Ok people the movie starts earlier than I first thought, so if you could all be there by 1:00pm as the film starts soon after. Ok that is all, happy hunting.

4. JEDIPAULAW

JEDIPAULAW Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    Yeah but Grieyls I prefer movies at night is there any way we can change it to night?

5. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Sorry dude , it's a little late to be changing things now. Be there at one or be someplace else.

6. Obi-Jace

Obi-Jace Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2001
    I've read a couple of reviews of Pearl Harbour, one called Pearl Howler. Apparently there are different versions for different countries. It interested me to find out that all the history I learnt at school has been completely wrong, I mean I was taught that WWII started in 1939! According to the movie it didn't start until 1941! We all know that nothing can be started or finished properly without the yanks in there!

7. Ghost_of_Caesar

Nov 27, 2000
    Well, if you want to get really technical, WW2 started for the Americans in 1937. They just prefer to ignore it because their butts got whipped, and they could ignore it without the public noticing.

8. Obi-Jace

May 20, 2001
    According to them they won the war single handed and saved the Brits and ANZAC's @$$e$.
    I suppose it all depends on which reality you live your life!

9. Ghost_of_Caesar

Nov 27, 2000
    Technically, they do have a point, much as I hate to admit it. The Battle of the Coral Sea was very much the turning point of the war in the Pacific Theatre of Operations. Although, we did make a damned fine accounting of ourselves in New Guinea and Borneo et al. And many German commanders were quite impressed by Australian troops in North Africa.

10. Obi-Jace

May 20, 2001
    Yes we did need help in the European theatre (and the Japanese for that matter), but if the Yanks were by themselves over there they would have been in the same situation! I acknowledge the assistance but I hate the implication that when they arrived we (as in all the other allies) were completely done for and that we basically scurried away while they ended the war!

11. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    That does not give them the right to rub it in every ones face. Personanly all things considered they had a large hand in winning the war, but you can't discount the involvment of the Allied nations so easily. We all had a part to play.

12. Ghost_of_Caesar

Nov 27, 2000
    It stands to note that New Zealand had a larger (or perhaps longer) contribution in Europe during WW2, especially after Curtin pulled the AIF back to Australia. The commander of the defence of Crete was a Kiwi, and in fact was the same guy who later commanded the Battle for Monte Cassino. Certainly, we had our moments in Africa, but after Singapore fell, the majority of our commitment in Europe was in the air, with a lot coming from bombing raids with the RAF.

13. JEDIPAULAW

Dec 7, 2000
    Yes i agree with Grieyls.it was a combined effort that lead to Hitler's defeat and aslo Hitler's stupidity, attacking Russia and the Allies simultaneously..and as for Japan well it was the old Nuke bomb really that finally finsihed 'em oh and also the Anzacs were good on Kokoda trail

14. Obi-Jace

May 20, 2001
    I saw a documentary on NZ TV recently that reckoned the Japanese were in the process of surrendering to the Allied forces, but the Americans decided to drop it anyway as a show of force and to quell the American public after stories of POW camps got out.

15. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Actually, what it all boils down to was the availibility of oil, the Japanese lost the war because they had none and the US did. I know that's putting it very simply, but there you have it.

16. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    So did you see the movie or what?

17. Ghost_of_Caesar

Nov 27, 2000
    Yes we did.

The matter of oil was to be resolved by taking the Dutch East Indies, now Indonesia, among other territories. Referred to as the Southern Resource Area, they were the ultimate goal of the Japanese forces. The aim of the Pearl Harbour attack was to knobble the American fleet and avoid any American interference.

18. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    So did you see the movie or what?

hell, we all know the only reason the yanks got into the conflict was to beat the ruskies into space. get over it.

19. Ghost_of_Caesar

Nov 27, 2000
    Uh, yes we did go and see the movie. I already mentioned that fact.

Thank you and please come again.

20. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Ok the movie was all right, better than what I was expecting anyway. A bit long, three and a bit hours... Phew! My only complaint being that the hand held camera shaking all over the place was done a bit too much, but apart from that, it was good.

21. JEDIPAULAW

Dec 7, 2000
    Yeah I was reading about those special Imax cameras...they could of read like a gimmick?

Oh and I came but I didn't see the movie..I became the Phantom Jedi ;)

22. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Makes me wonder why you botherd to show at all really. Well, thanks for showing in anycase even if you couldn't stay.

23. JEDIPAULAW

Dec 7, 2000
    Yeah ta Grieyls, yeah man I just showed to say hello to u guys..yeah and I couldn't stay 'cos I had an exam

24. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    If that was the case how come you didn't inform of this earlier so that we could rescheduall?

25. JEDIPAULAW

Dec 7, 2000
    Thanks for offering that u would have rescheduled but I didnt think u would as u posted this before

Sorry dude , it's a little late to be changing things now. Be there at one or be someplace else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.