main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Pearls from Coal--the Hunger Games support group

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by DarthIshtar, Jan 5, 2012.

1. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I was looking for a Hunger Games thread and couldn't find one anywhere on this forum. are there any fellow tributes out there? Anyone just a fan? Anyone write HG fanfic? I know I've seen a couple around here. If you have one, please PM me and I'll put up a list.

Index

DarthIshtar

Vicarious--An OC fic about the 53rd Hunger Games. The sister of a Tribute finds herself roped into the Games in her sister's stead.

Karebear214

Look Away--Mods' Shuffle Challenge. Character exploration and emotional sketches. Mostly Katniss and Gale.

A Whole Lot of Medicastion--Gale angst... watching Katniss pick Peeta. While dealing with whipping aftermath. Poor boy sad

Don't Pretend You Care--Haymitch and Effie through the years.

Firelight--Portia and Cinna right before the 74th Hunger Games, coming to terms with the whole business of prettying kids up for slaughter... yay.

Constancy--Mrs. E and Hazelle Hawthorne friendship. Because nothing bonds you like worrying about your kids.

On Fire--UDC 6. Different character every week.

Unthinkable--you ever notice that Katniss was not inclined toward rebellion at all until Snow's people touched Gale? I did!

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    I LOVE The Hunger Games and I'm totally psyched for the movie to come out! I haven't written any HG fanfic yet, but I have a couple of ideas bouncing around in my head at the moment.

3. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Hi Ish. I really enjoyed the first book and found it a great stand alone story. I trailed off and lost interest in the first third of Catching Fire. I may listen on to the second two on audio.

I found Katnis to be a very engaging character. The book had a fantastic set up, great action, and excellent character developement. I think one of the reasons I liked it so much was the undeniable emotional core. Each character was realized, even the side characters. The author's narrative stayle would not let me dismiss anyone much less turn away from the intesity of the action once the Games began.

4. DreamingIce

DreamingIce Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 8, 2005
    I loved Hunger Games! (And am rather impatient for the movie!) It's surplanted my previous dystopian favourites in litrature. It's not overly sentimental, which I like, but you can't deny the emotional depth either. Great action, great characters, all around good story.

...although I'm a terrible fan, and haven't yet psyched myself enough to ready Catching Fire and Mockingjay. Last time I attempted to read the trilogy consecutively, I read Hunger Games, then somehow ended up starting a re-read of my X-Wing books... Oops.[face_blush] Know some of the basics as to the plot in the last 2 books, but haven't completed them...

I have only read a couple of Hunger Games vigs really, though I did dabble in a brief Peeta introspective for my shuffle challenge here.

5. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I really loved this trilogy, though I definitely wasn't expecting to, since it's not my thing at all. The writing is just so good!

I know karebear has some recent HG fanfic if anyone wants a read, and Ish just updated an OC HG story.

6. karebear214

karebear214 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2002
    I may or may not have a raging obsession with this series... [face_whistling]

7. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I was hanging out with our old friend AnakinsFavorite and she told me I could borrow the first two books, but that she had to have them back in a couple of days. I stayed up all night reading one and read Catching Fire in a slightly unusual location. I got Mockingjay for Christmas a couple of months later. I've only written one fic because while I'm very good at macabre, I feel like I can't get into the empathy thing very well.

In other news, I'll be putting up draft 1 of the index when I'm more coherent.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  8. karebear214

karebear214 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2002
    "in a slightly unusual location"

Okay, you know that's not fair! Spill!

9. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    Love this series. I finished rereading the books a few weeks ago.

10. Master_Jaina1011

Master_Jaina1011 Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2002
    I just finished reading this series. I heard it was amazing and it definitely lived up to the hype. Now I must go cheer myself up.

11. Raphire

Raphire Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2008
    Huge fan of the series! However I read the first one as a stand alone the first couple times due to the fact that I had no clue that it was a series. Lol.

Like brodiew I found the second book hard to get into, however, once I got past the first third of the book I found it to be absolutely fantastic and just as interesting as the first!

I haven't written any fics for it yet due to the fact that I am pretty intimidated by how well portrayed the characters are... I don't think I could do them justice.

But i cannot wait until the movie comes out! The trailers look soo good!

12. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    The index is finally up! If yours is not in there, please let me know.

13. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
  14. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    I read the whole trilogy within a week when the first movie came out because I wondered what all the fuss was about. [voice=Effie] I just love that! [/voice] My muse hasn't come up with anything yet. Emphasis on yet.