main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Pellaeon and the Imperial Remnant (split from Thrawn thread)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by comradepitrovsky, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What do you think they wanted to write?

2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    This is just from memory but I think it went roughly like this:

Legacy of the Force

Troy Denning wanted to write Jacen Solo as an evil genius mastermind who was playing the galaxy against one another while fundamentally irredeemable scum. He was about raising Jaina up along with Saba as well as a total Jedi Fest. The Empire was evil, the Galactic Alliance corrupted by evil leaders, and the Jedi good.

Karen Traviss, by contrast, had her love of the Mandalorians and Boba Fett plus Admiral Niathal as well as Pellaeon. She had the view of Jacen Solo as a fundamentally Kylo Ren-esque figure: a complete poseur and lunatic who was seriously mentally ill versus any kind of real threat. The Empire and GA were good but had incompetent leadership with Niathal being the only sane woman.

Aaron Allston, by contrast, had the ideas of developing Wedge's daughters and the larger Corellian/Republic/Confederacy conflict. It's all about the larger politics and muggles which are more or less increasingly downplayed elsewise.

It seems to have become sort of a football of Depending on the Writer regarding Jacen's goals, characterization and means which warped the entire narrative.

I can't even begin to dissect Fate of the Jedi but I do get the impression the "liberate all slaves in the galaxy" was probably Golden, Abeloth and Saba was Denning, and Daala being EVIL was Allston. Denning wanted a lot of mysticism and general weirdness while Allston was more for the galactic politics while Golden was doing some slice of life stuff.

I think Vestara was flawed but redeemable under Golden and genuinely evil under Denning.

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Allston tended to paint Daala a bit more sympathetically than Denning and Golden as I recall.

Jeff_Ferguson likes this.
  4. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    The presence of ex-Imperials in the Confederation I took of as that many simply didn't recognise Pellaeon's Remnant as THE Imperial state, to old Imperial rivals of Pellaeon and his Moffs it probably seemed like just a rival collection of warlords, even if the GA did recognise it to be 'the Galactic Empire'. Under the Fels this changed so a lot of those non-Remnant Imperials and their descendants were integrated into the wider Fel Empire as time went on through the Imperial Mission as Charlemagne brought up.

As for the Confederation and what its intention was, I think it varied. Some may have wanted a total dissolution of the GA, others simply independence from it, the ex-Imperials may have thought of it as means to have an Imperial power outside of the Remnant. We know there was a Neo-Imperial conspiracy in the GA, after all. The whole lack of unity on 'Confederation ideals' was probably another cause for their eventual dissolution.

5. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I was genuinely surprised to find it still existed at the end of the series, it was so irrelevant.

Vialco, Jeff_Ferguson and Havoc123 like this.
  6. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I imagine that was a result of its general political structure and aims-a fairly loose organization unified only by a desire to see the GA brought down.

I imagine most participants contributed their own ships and troops while Phennir sought to integrate and coordinate all of them into a fighting force that could challenge the GA.

To further expand on my scenario of a confederate victory-more Hutt aid and a potential Hapan coup and even one Sith machinations lead to a decisive series of battles in which the confederation crushes the GA Jacen and Niathal are either forced to step down or are forcibly removed-the total breaking of the Coruscant's power leads other worlds-many within the core and inner rim to consider independence or at least a looser relationship with the GA, the Jedi are left unsure of how to handle the situation as Balkanization spreads. The New GA government falls soon amidst increasing discontent and anger from at least three angles-the brass angry about the lost war, other wealthy core and inner rim worlds seeking to escape Coruscant's iron grip and the Jedi pressuring the government's every movement and action.

Because of this the GA begins to crumble a lot faster than in the official Legends timeline with some world's joining the confederation, others the Remnant, and others forming their own coalitions based on shared history and culture(think mid-rim worlds) and some choosing to go it alone. The Hutts influence spreads and fear develops as the Hutts begin to abandon Kajidic.

Also an abandoned group of Sith have rediscovered the Galaxy...

AusStig likes this.
  7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    and should have no idea how things work neither technology, culture or politics.

8. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Indeed ah the wonders of FOTJ

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    "Barbaric classicist" is an interesting contradiction in terms.

10. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    He means class based-stratified. A division between classes, a lack of equality. Not classical antiquity.

11. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Insofar as the words can be said to have real meaning at all I suppose.....

12. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    In the fact they have a lot of barbaric practices and are classicist, yes.

13. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I believe that is classist - classicist means ones who studies the classics.

And classiest is something else all together.

Though thinking about it, I think my next D&D character should be a barbarian classicist - "I AM SO ANGRY THAT YOU DISAGREE WITH MY OPINION ON ARISTOPHANES! ROBESPIERRE SMASH!!!"

Gamiel likes this.
  14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh, I know exactly what he meant. That's why I was poking fun at him.

I also observe that it's organized societies that have the highest disparities in wealth, as a matter of historical reality (as opposed to ideological polemic).

15. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Enough to bring me out of exile this topic is.

I feel it is worthwhile to point out that under Pellaeon those 8 sectors remaining at the time of the signing of the Bastion Accords ended up jumping to over 30 sectors(see Revelation iirc) by the time of Caedus. All acquired by peaceful means no doubt under the rules laid out in the treaty.

That number continued to swell for the next hundred years give or take, giving rise to the Felpire sometime in Jag Fel's lifetime(Based on the comments of Treis Sinde in Legacy). Pellaeon's brilliance and legacy also was recognized by is peers in universe, both friend and foe, on more occasions than I can recall. To the point where the New Republic put him in charge of their own military.

Other than that Jeff has summed to rest up well, as he always does.

I eagerly await the upcoming Legends stand alone film from Disney:

Pellaeon: The Man. The Myth. The Legend

16. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I think they were taken, Soviet style, during the Vong War. The New Republic even said they were going to let it slide.

17. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    Bastion Accords did allow for systems to choose their own government.

But you could be right in part as well. I do recall something of the sort now that you mention it. Some could have been great military victories no less.

Whatever the means, the Empire rebounded under Pellaeon.

18. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Unchecked militarism and dictatorial rule looks more workable after a galactic genocide by theocratic luddites, I suppose.

19. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    New Republic didn't exactly respond to the Vong invasion of that area of the galaxy very swiftly.

Daala even took the fight to the Vong as well. All kinds of reasons systems and sectors could have been open to returning to the Empire.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  20. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    That explains why people joined. Doesn't make it a good thing.

21. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    From a certain point of view :p

I'd argue that without the Pellaeon Empire the galaxy might have never had a Fel Empire to save it from the Sith again years later.

22. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Or without the Pellaeon Empire, the Sith would never have been able to defeat the GA in the first place.

Gamiel likes this.
  23. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    There is a great deal of subjectivity there, yes.

I feel like that many Sith would have found a way with or without Roan Fel. At least he tried to keep them somewhere he could keep an eye on them.

24. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Gar Stazi was a great addition because it honestly seemed like the GA and Jedi were going to do nada to fight evil.

It was seemingly all Roan Fel and his Prateorians.

25. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    If the Sith didn't intervene I imagine the war would have either ended in a hard fought and bloody GA victory, a hard fought slugfest imperial victory, or a stalemate given the apparent balance of forces involved.

Daala IIUC spent her days in the Maw, apparently researching new ship technology and if I'm not mistaken she even got married and had a child with both her husband and child dying. She may have also conducted some actions against the Vong. The details I'm not sure about.

But anyway Palleon's actions ensured both the Empire's survival and its future success.

Also to make one more point I imagine galactic perceptions of the empire became increasingly positive in the later first century ABY as the generation that lived fought and died under Palpatine and the warlords/Thrawn/Tarkin passed away. With the galaxy's inhabitants instead seeing a stable forward looking and perhaps even compassionate government under the Fel's while comparing that with a corrupt and eternally failed GA.