main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Pellaeon and the Imperial Remnant (split from Thrawn thread)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by comradepitrovsky, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016

Mas Amedda being the Grand Vizier is one of the new canon's most insane changes for a multitude of reasons. Just let him be in charge of the Senate until its dissolution and then go on to a quiet retirement on Byss.

AusStig likes this.
  2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Being in charge of the Senate is a big deal, though.

And besides, being Palpatine's second all through his administration seems like it's a big deal. It's not at all illogical to have him be Grand Vizier -- although it's odd since Pestage is an old ESB creation, and the new canon likes using old cancelled movie stuff.

It doesn't really matter -- all we know is that he wasn't the captain of the ship, and that's sufficient. And besides, whatever the case was he didn't outrank Teshik.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Why's that?

4. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Aircraft carriers can have multiple Captains (O-6) on board, sometimes with captains serving as CO and XO (plus senior medical officer, CO of the air wing, senior engineer). I don't think two (or more) captains on an ISD would be out of the question.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  5. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Pestage still exists, but honestly, Amedda made more sense than him as Grand Vizier ever since the PT. He was the politician/administrator - pre-Empire Pestage was more Palpatine's dirty tricks guy.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, Amedda knew how to run things. And he would be better able to maintain relations wit the Senate, which we've learned was absolutely vital.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

7. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    The decision to use Amedda to this degree in the new canon is among my top favorites. Tied with the use of Mon Mothma. Great way to use these classic characters, plus a tie Prequel tie-in as well in the case of Mas Amedda.

--Adm. Nick

8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    He was. And he would have taken command of the fleet after Piett, had he not died. The command system at the Battle of Endor didn't account for the Grand Admirals on the Death Star - they weren't on Command Ships, so they weren't in the command line of succession.

It went "Executor commander, Pride of Tarlandia commander, Chimaera commander"

At least, that's the way The Essential Guide to Warfare seemed to portray it.
    Even in the newcanon we have multiple Admirals at Endor (Montferrat and Sloane in addition to Piett) - just no Grand Admirals escaping from the Death Star. Big fleet - Admirals probably command squadrons of ten or so SDs (with a Admiral's SD like Sloane's probably having extra command and communication gear) - with a Fleet Admiral (Piett?) in charge of everything.

9. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    The Essential Guide to Warfare is pretty explicit about command of Death Squadron being legitimately in Pellaeon's hands at the time he orders the retreat.

Note the omniscient narrator stating "leaving command in Pellaeon's hands" and Admiral Harrsk later agreeing that command had been in Pellaeon's hands during the battle but wasn't anymore.

This is an argument that's been rehashed on these forums countless times, but Warfare is the most recent (and likely final) authority on the subject and there's no reason to disregard what it says.

10. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    That's what I always gathered. The galaxy is simply too big for every single being to get representation. The Empire (Esp. after Palpatine) is really a superior alternative to the constant piracy, starvation, corruption and general disorder experienced under the Old and New republics. I'm glad the Empire came out on top at the end of Legacy.

11. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Even in the ancient legends old republic-politics was controlled by various corporations, aristocratic families and the rich urbanized core population.

In the dark ages-the worst days of the new sith wars you have Jedi running the republic and Jedi running planets as warlords stemming the sith tide.

And I recall the new essential chronology making a point that the "republic was born crippled". It was simply too fast with too many competing interests to endure forever.

12. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    Amazing it even lasted that long. I bet the Empire will last much longer, considering the stark contrast in stability post-19 BBY compared to the prior years.

13. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I wonder in the post-legacy era how long the galactic triumvirate would last-Stazi, Marasiah Fel, and Kr'uhk seem like a very combustible combination even without sith influence.

14. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    IDK, but the Empire was infinitely stronger than the mere fleet that remained of the GA. If it came down to a civil war I have no doubt who would win.

15. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    A sith Thrawn would be incredible, a sith Thrawn with batte meditation would be nearly unstoppable.

As for a post legacy civil war-the Galaxy would be divided and I imagine the Jedi would overmatch the imperial knights and Stazi would go down a hero.

16. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007

As an Fel Empire supporter, what's your opinion of Emperor Roan Fel, who wanted to kill all life on Coruscant. Which, at last count, was approximately 2 trillion sentients.

17. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    and 582,797,754 Jax Pavans.

Jeff_Ferguson and Vialco like this.
  18. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    Ending 2 trillion Sith-Imperial lives would spare 2 trillion Allied lives. Killing that many people is never that great an option, but it really comes down to who has to die; If you can save your own people, then go for it. Coruscant was just a hive of traitors, anyway.

19. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007

So, according to you, Antares Draco shouldn't have struck down his rightful Emperor as he was trying to murder 2 trillion innocents? What about the Code of the Imperial Knights? They are duty bound to strike down their Emperor if he turns to the Dark Side.

20. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    What constitutes the "dark side" is completely subjective. Personally, I don't think ancient jedi politics really belong in the Empire.

21. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Not even when the Emperor is a Force-wielder?

I just love the fact that Roan Fel couldn't arbitrarily massacre trillions of citizens. The Emperor isn't infallible or all-powerful in the Felpire. The Imperial Knights stood up to him and stopped him.

22. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    The Praetorian Guards codifying their habit of assassinating bad Emperors is hilarious to me but it is literally true in the case of the Imperial Knights as their job to judge whether or not it's necessary.

In the case of Roan Fel, destroying Coruscant wasn't going to actually do any good.

Certainly, it would just villify the Imperial Loyalists forever. Look what doing it to Mon Cal did for the Sith. They weren't from, "Nobody likes these guys but whatcha gonna do" to "Everyone needs to kill these psychos."

Vialco likes this.
  23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Sure there is -- the reason being that it's goofy. As you know -- since we've discussed it plenty -- it's a chain of command that makes no sense at all. And as you know, it's part of an endless series of retcons that always seems to rehabilitate Pelly. Funny how that works.

I'm sure a system that would've let the lowliest ensign on Chimaera have command priority over admirals makes sense to someone, but if the argument is that this was his command was legitimately structured at Endor, the Empire deserved to lose.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

AusStig likes this.
  24. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    The problem is, GAJ that it was a retcon that put a Grand Admiral at the battle in the first place.

Albeit, that actually is legitimately a thing which can happen.

A higher ranking officer is not necessarily in the chain of command in militaries as those are set up before hand. The Grand Admirals exist, also, outside of Imperial High Command in order to make it more difficult for the latter for Palpatine's orders to be opposed. He and the others there were to observe not participate.

As for everyone else? Well, the Empire having a nonsensical nonfunctioning military of cronies isn't unusual.

Iron_lord likes this.
  25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Sure. But the original story in HttE (with or without WEG's addition of Harrsk) is clear enough, and that's the one I always fall back on.

Abandoning Teshik to his fate is salt on the wound; the fact that Pelly seized control of the fleet is separate from that.