main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Pencil art & character work - Inverted Sith (17 April 2006) *page 4*

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by paraquem, Sep 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paraquem

paraquem Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 28, 2000
    A couple of Anakin drawings, and a "bit" of Dooku.

http://img38.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img38&image=hoodedanakinskywalkerpencildrawing.jpg

http://img7.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img7&image=younganakinskywalkerpencildrawing.jpg

http://img52.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img52&image=dookudetail.jpg

2. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Great work! I love your pencilworks, the shading is excellent. And the detail of Dooku's eye is a very good choice! It has a feel of an artistic B/W photograph. Excellent composition! :)

3. Ellbobin

Ellbobin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2004
    bloody hell! those rock!

4. rydog

rydog Jedi Youngling

Sep 19, 2004
    nice stuff. Is that charcoal or pencil? Not sure if you've ever tried it, but a cool thing to try is to draw on colored canson paper with a white colored pencil and pencil. You can get some neat effects using the paper color to create the tones of what is in your drawing.

5. wicktone

wicktone Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2003
    Really quality work. The young anakin is especially good; you really nailed all the values and it looks very realistic. These must have taken a long time to complete.

Well done!
    -wick

6. paraquem

Mar 28, 2000
    Hi,

thanks for the positive feedback - very much appreciated.

rydog - i haven't used the paper you mentioned, but i've done a fair bit of stuff with charcoal grounds (the same idea I guess) - the Dooku detail is done using that technique.

7. smelly_the_hutt

smelly_the_hutt Jedi Youngling

Sep 21, 2004
    Wow! Really Spectacular. The young Anakin is outstanding. And the partial Dooku is teriffic too. Are these copied from any existing photos, or are the poses your own? These don't seem like renditions of any photos I'm aware of. Just curious.

Really great work!

8. paraquem

Mar 28, 2000
    Location for a story i'm working on -

http://img141.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img141&image=fromsafetytowhere9tc.jpg

and a character sketch for the same piece -

http://img81.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img81&image=profile7qc.jpg

another character -

http://img177.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img177&image=chiaroscuro2wj.jpg

9. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Woah!!!! :eek:

10. Ty_Ordell

Ty_Ordell Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 7, 2002
    Wow! .. er wow, I'm speechless.

11. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I'll second Ty's wow!

12. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I don't know how I overlooked your thread before, but you have amazing stuff! I'm especially impressed by the first few portraits you did. Very nice detail and use of value. You nailed really nailed the likenesses.

Your second batch has a unique style that creates motion. Very nicely done! :D

13. corellian_chic242

corellian_chic242 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 17, 2003
    Your shading is excellent. And as HS said, you really did capture the likeness of your subjects. I really liked the little Ani pic; he looks so serious! :)

14. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    I'll jump on the WOW bandwagon here---WOW!! These are stunning (how did I miss this thread before?! :confused: )--almost photographic in the details and likenesses. Stunning. I really like the close-up aspect you use for the portraits--very intimate, and gives a real power to the portrayals. Just gorgeous! Hope you keep it coming, paraquem! I'll be a regular in your thread from now on! :D

FF

15. Cheveyo

Cheveyo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2001
    Very nice, paraquem. Your style is very static--very "in motion". Even as your subject sits idle. This is truly a feat to accomplish in art. the lines you use to create the shadow, in lieu of base shade tones, are what really keeps your eyes moving and adds to the fluidity of the subject (in motion, yet not).

Did I mention they're very moody, too!! :)

Very nicely done.

16. DarthMaul431

DarthMaul431 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 19, 2003
    Amazing stuff paraquem! Your Episode I Anakin is so good, it actually makes him seem as a darker person than he is in the film.

17. paraquem

Mar 28, 2000
    I'm really appreciative of all your kind words. Thanks so much. :)

My second batch were done in Painter, and I must admit, I find it heavy going to do stuff with it (a really steep learning curve).

Hope i'll be able to post more stuff in the near future.

18. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Gorgeous art.

I especially like the extreme close-up portraits of Dooku and the last one you posted. They convey so much raw emotion. Very powerful.

19. paraquem

Mar 28, 2000
    A character study from a Star Wars story i'm working on (should eventually be part of a portfolio of about 15 characters or so....)

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/7956/quicossewcostumesmall2tm.jpg

(apologies for the numerous edits, I can't seem to get the images to show up in thumnails)

20. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Welcome back paraquem!!! I'm so glad to see something new in your thread--I just love your work and technique, and your new piece is a beautiful example of both! What a wonderful portrait: the slight arch to the brows, sort of in question to something he's just heard, and the easy set to his lips really animate this study. He appears, to me, to be a man of some authority and influence--but with a gentle sort of leadership style. Lovely detailing on the robes, too, what little we can see of them. You're an author too??!! Sheesh, the talent simply bursts forth from you, doesn't it? ;) Fifteen characters, and I'm looking forward to every single one! It's great to have you posting again!

FF

21. bwize

bwize Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2004
    WOW paraquem. I am totaly flabergasted. Your works are so life like and richley detailed. I like the Jake Lloyd/Anakin portrait in particular. Very dark and brooding, and the shading and contrast make all the more striking. You really have a good grasp of the human form and it's proportions. That last character study you posted, outstanding! It looks very real, much like a b/w photo. I am very immpressed and look forward to seeing more of your work.

Bryan

22. paraquem

Mar 28, 2000
    Thanks for those kind comments FalconFan (and the welcome back too). I really appreciate that. :)

Re: the new piece, your right in thinking he's a man of influence, he's an aide to a Royal figure (whom i've yet to actually draw unfortunately). I used the British actor Ken Campbell as a basis for this man, he's an actor I think would have been ideal for a Star Wars film, his face is so quirky and expressive, just fantastic. I have one more drawing to make of this man, more of a full body, costume type of piece. I'll try to do this with all of the characters, one portrait and one full body, action type of thing.

After that i'll have to work on some vehicles, creatures and several production-style paintings (have to break out the acrylics again, which should be a laugh).

As for the writing, well, that's the doozy, if I ever get that finished i'll probably die of shock....

23. paraquem

Mar 28, 2000
    Thanks Bryan, I think i'm fondest of the Jake Lloyd/Anakin pic also. Hopefully, I should have my Christopher Lee/Dooku pic done before too long, i'll make sure to post the update.

24. paraquem

Mar 28, 2000
    Another character, done in painter so much rougher and more of a "graphic-y" piece. There's more to be done with it, but at least it's given me some ideas to play with.

http://img196.imageshack.us/my.php?image=longface4lv.jpg

25. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh, excellent study paraquem! I really like the "painterly" quality to this--broad "brushstrokes" and deep shading. I like the moody scowl on his face, and the subtle catch-light in his "Sith eye"--sort of makes me wonder what sort of Dark Side mischief he's ready to get up to! Cool piece, and excellent utilization of the software (really looks like "traditional" media).

FF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.