main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Abuse Scandals in Sports

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth McClain, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Okay, I gave it a night to sleep on.
    I still feel the same way. May he rot in hell. :)

Even if he did what he is contractually and legally supposed to do at Penn State...even if we take away him still allowing him to show his face at Penn State...he still sat by idle while this dude ran a brothel(children's charity).

MAY HE ROT IN HELL.
    If you disagree with me, may you also rot in hell. :p

2. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Vin, are you referring to Paterno or McQueary?

DMC, From what we know, the only thing Paterno could be charged with is perjury, assuming McQueary told him exactly what he saw, rather than what Paterno testified to before the Grand Jury. Honestly, though, I doubt the AG office would prosecute him for that. McQueary has to resign, he has a giant bulls eye on his back from now on. Pack your things, find a job elsewhere.

Curley and Schultz should rot in jail for covering this up. The question at this point is whether they came to the decision to do so on their own or was someone else (really only Spanier or Paterno would come into question here) involved. Again, what happened in those 10 days, and the weeks immediately thereafter? Pure speculation at this point, but something the University needs to look at very closely.

And remember this about Schultz -- he admitted that he knew of the 1998 incident. He was already on notice about Sandusky, is told by an eyewitness that Sandusky sodomized a 10 year old boy, and decides that the only action to be taken is that Sandusky be told he can't bring boys onto campus anymore. WTF?

3. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    I was referring to JoePa, but I'd like the all to rot in hell.
    Anyone who protested or rioted in support of JoePa last night should also rot in hell.

4. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Maybe the most disturbing part of all of this, though, is in McQueary's testimony -- when he discovered Sandsuky and the boy in the shower, Sandusky looked right at him, didn't flinch, nothing. As if he was hlping the kid with his math homework or something.

5. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    Ashton Kutcher said via twitter that Penn State was classless for firing Joe Paterno. I'd like to add him to the list of people who need to rot in hell.

6. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    I think Paterno was pretty classless for the way he went out and let him be adored by the students two nights in a row, then tried to strong arm the board in to letting him stay until the end of the year.

And when Ashton Kutcher becomes the arbiter for what is and isn't classless, it's clearly time to nuke the planet.

7. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    He never cared about the kids. Old fart.

8. DRHJ9

DRHJ9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2003
    I can't stand Joe Paterno, when he says "We should all be praying for the Victims"

YEAH, you must have been praying real hard for those kids for 13 years JoePa!! Nothing can justify staying quiet for that long, knowing a rapist is walking free.

WE will pray for the victims, JOE, McQueary, and ALL of the Administration who knew about it should go play in traffic!

9. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/eethit/Mobile%20Uploads/joeped.jpg]

10. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I absolutely think the board of trustees did the right thing. Now they need to finish the job. I think Federal investigators have gotten involved and we will surely hear more from this, especially from the charity and the administration.

Aside from the untimely and totally inappropriate rally (read: riot) last night, what bothered me was also that Joepa, and those around him were still talking about football and the Nebraska game... totally clueless to the bigger picture. Is the culture there that deep in the program that the details are lost on them? I mean, we're not talking about JoePa letting players take money for tattoos or players being paid to play....we're talking about very heinous criminal activity. It was appalling.

11. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1126185/1/index.htm

Sandusky and his wife, Dottie, who couldn't have children of their own, adopted a son in 1969. Since then they have adopted four more children?current ages five through 19?and have helped raise three foster children. For a time they were a host family each summer for children placed by the Fresh Air Fund of New York City. "After we had taken in some foster children," says Dottie, "we saw the opportunities that some kids just hadn't had. But we'd gotten to the point where we couldn't take in any more, so Jerry started thinking about starting a group home. The book seemed like a good opportunity to get it off the ground." (Since Developing Linebackers was published in 1981, it has netted about $15,000.)

Houseparents were hired last spring, and The Second Mile should have its full complement of six boys by early winter. With luck, says Ron Coder, the executive director of the home, another will be started in three years.

"Naive me," says Sandusky, "sitting back there five years ago saying, 'We're going to start a group home.' If I'd sat down then and said, 'It's going to take this and that, and this many people will have to be involved,' I probably wouldn't have done it. The toughest thing has been selling something that didn't exist. I think it will be easier now that we can say, 'Look, there it is: a home and a family for six kids who didn't have either one.' "

It hasn't bothered Sandusky that The Second Mile thus far has kept him from leaving Penn State."Many people have talked to me about hiring him," says Paterno, "but Jerry's been reluctant to talk to them because of all the commitments he has in this area." A couple of head-coaching jobs at the college level have come and gone, as well as inquiries from Oakland and Tampa Bay about interviewing Sandusky to become a pro assistant. "A long time ago Jerry really wanted to be a head coach," says Dottie, "but now there are so many things going that he never mentions it anymore."

Story dated December 6, 1982.

12. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    The End of Paterno. Very well done article by SI's Joe Posanski.

That sums my feelings about this terrible situation.

13. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Could not disagree more. I'll see your article and raise you this one:

http://www.salon.com/2011/11/11/the_shame_of_penn_state/singleton/

Instead of calling the police or the university president, Paterno called athletic director Tim Curley, another former assistant coach. Curley brought in Gary Schultz, vice president of finance and business, whose duties included supervision of the campus police. By the way, Paterno called Curley not the same day he met with McQueary, but waited at least 24 hours. Curley and Schultz met with McQueary eventually ? eventually, as in no one is sure how many days passed, but estimates are that it might have been as late as March 27 ? and promised to investigate.

No one knows exactly when president Spanier was informed, but it appears to have been after the March 27 meeting.

Are you getting all this? Is it making an impression?

What was done by the Penn State officials between March 2002 and the recent grand jury investigation was ? nothing! No one went to legal authorities and no action was taken. Oh, I just remembered. That?s not true. According to the grand jury report, after the incident in 2002, someone ? again, presumably Curley ? told Sandusky ?not to bring any boys on campus.? And Sandusky did have his keys taken away, though precisely what that means isn?t clear since Sandusky ? who, you?ll be interested to know, is walking around today, free on $100,000 bail ? was still using the Penn State facilities as late as 2009, when the last sex abuse charge, the one that got a grand jury involved, was made by the mother of a 12-year old boy.

14. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    I'm with KW on this one. Posnansky needs to (as Jason Whitlock tweeted) get the JoePa Stardust out of his eyes before writing any more on the subject. He makes a few valid points, but is just flat wrong on what we know. We know far more than Posnansky indicates. The Grand jury investigated the matter for two years, has issued a detailed report (which apparently was supposed to be sealed but was leaked, and is now available to everyone at the Pa AG site.) And we also kbnow this: Paterno cran everything in that program, there wasn't a decision made that he wasn't involved in. It's almost unfathomable that the 98 investigation happened without him knowing about it.

EDIT And a very good article from Men's Health on the psychology of how tings like this can happen.

15. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I agree with McClain and (most of) the Posnanski article here. As bad as this is, and its very bad, make no mistake, its also far from all we know about Paterno. This is hitting pretty hard right now for very good reason, because its extremely serious, but it's also not fair to completely forget everything else we've known about Paterno over his decades of coaching.

16. Thrawn1786

Thrawn1786 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 8, 2004
    Yesterday the following article was posted on yahoo.com:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-pennstate-mcqueary

That's it? That's all they're doing so far? They're still considering removing him, not automatically removing him? What is wrong with these people? :mad: :confused:

17. Django211

Django211 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 6, 1999
    As of today McQueary will not be coaching due to threats made against him. Not surprising at all. What is surprising is that he is still on the team.

I wonder if McQueary qualifies for whistleblower status. It is unfathomable how he could have seen it first hand and literally look the other way. He was the starting QB while Sandusky was still a coach so they definitely knew each other. At 6'5 I don't think he'd have had a problem pulling a 55 yr old Sandusky off the child. Getting physical, calling the cops, pulling a fire alarm, anything to help that kid out at the time. I'm sure he could have just yelled "coach" & Sandusky would have stopped realizing that he'd been recognized. Yet at that moment he ran away. It is sickening that he didn't have the courage to act right then & there. After he tells Paterno then Paterno has 2 choices. Either he believes McQueary about what he saw or he thinks McQueary is making false charges about his friend for 30 yrs. Considering McQueary got a coaching job with the team I think its safe to say Paterno didn't consider him a liar.

18. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    [image=http://www.caglecartoons.com/media/cartoons/82/2011/11/10/100871_600.jpg]

Laker games cancelled (so far) due to the current NBA lockout: 14[face_frustrated]

19. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    Actually, everyone single one of those guys could be held for facilitation of a crime. They had the knowledge that something was done. A crime was committed. They all acted together in unison to deprive the last victim of his legal rights. In theory you could say that they conspired to advert justice. Almost like a RICO law. They conspired to cover up one act which led to other acts. And they had the knowledge all of them of what happened and under Joe, he said no. They could easily prove in a court of law that despite titles it was Joe Pa who was the real puppet master. He had the control. He had to ability to say who got fired and who didn't yet he did nothing. He knew his friend was a rapist. He must of known about 1998 incident. There is no way in the world that his retirement was at the same time. Yet he wasn't charged and more importantly the DA said not enough to charge him on.

The organization or more importantly those in higher up part of the football organization conspired to keep the problem out of the papers and out of the courts to allow the money to come flowing in. It was like a giant ponzi scheme at that point.

20. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    beezel McQueary and Paterno are most likely going to be fine since they are covered under the whistle blower law in Pennsylvania. They might see civil court law suits come up against them but the university will probably be found liable for the damages.

21. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    actually he may not be, Sandusky wasn't an employee of the university. So technically what he witnessed was an independant act by a former employee. The university just happened to be the area where he committed his crime. He didn't have to report anything. Plus he saw a crime committed. He didn't suspect someone of a crime. He saw a crime on school property. It was his choice to tell anyone or not.

22. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    Ok, seriously Horsey if you are gonna quote a law from penn state, make sure you quote all of it.

SUBCHAPTER B
    PROVISIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES FOR
    REPORTING SUSPECTED CHILD ABUSE

Sec.
    6311. Persons required to report suspected child abuse.
    6312. Persons permitted to report suspected child abuse.
    6313. Reporting procedure.
    6314. Photographs, medical tests and X-rays of child subject
    to report.
    6315. Taking child into protective custody.
    6316. Admission to private and public hospitals.
    6317. Mandatory reporting and postmortem investigation of
    deaths.
    6318. Immunity from liability.
    6319. Penalties for failure to report.

Chapter Heading.

It says suspected child abuse. not actual rape of a child.

Paterno is using the suspected child abuse clause as a means to passing the buck. It was rape, a crime that would have to be reported regardless.

23. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Sandusky had a office on university property so he was associated with the university in some capacity still. Plus he is receiving a pension from the university. So I would think that would cover McQueary and I think that is why he still has a job. Paterno could be different since he was the supervisor that the criminal act was reported to.

24. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Beezel - show me in the law where it doesn't say "suspected".

25. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    I wouldn't be surprised if JoPa's health declined in the next 1-2. Football was his life, and he no longer has that.