main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST People cannot talk to droids.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by thenumberjuggler, Dec 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thenumberjuggler

thenumberjuggler Jedi Padawan

Oct 29, 2015
    I know you're going to say:"we're going to the Dagobah system R2".

But that struck me as strange when Luke said it. My rationalization has always been that he was in the ship. R2 is connected to the ship so Luke can understand him. I'm pretty sure Anakin does the same thing in Menace.

Unless they're connected to a ship people cannot talk to droids. Those noises R2 makes aren't speech, it would be like having a conversation with a modem. If I'm wrong about this please provide me with which characters speak at what time in which movie. I'd like to be wrong to be honest it would remove a major continuity gripe I have.

2. Fjw1970

Fjw1970 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 8, 2013
    When Luke talked to R2 in the x-wing there was a screen with a translation on it.

3. RobShanti

RobShanti Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2009
    Rey speaks to BB-8 throughout the entire TFA. That's all that's needed.

Just because you may not have noticed someone understanding Binary in a previous film doesn't mean it isn't possible or constitutes a continuity error.

One could make the same complaint about the possibility of understanding the animals sounds of a Wookiee to the point of specificity.

4. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    Anakin seemed to have an innate ability to communicate with and understand Artoo, but I'm basing this on the Clone Wars cartoon not the movies.

Matthew_Wolverine and RobShanti like this.
  5. RobShanti

Jan 6, 2009
    The Clone Wars cartoons do make canonical the possibility of a human understanding binary.

6. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Luke talks to Artoo all the time...not just when they're both in the X-Wing.

Artoo twitters at Luke when Yoda is about to take Luke to his hut, Luke replies "no artoo, you stay and look after the camp"

It seems that only those who deal with astromechs regularly can understand them. We see this when Rey can understand Beebee, but Finn can't.

Luke didn't understand Artoo in ANH, but does in the rest of the saga, everyone else needs Threepio to interpret for Artoo.

Poe talks with Beebee no problem...

7. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Rey can understand Wookiee, droid and other alien languages. Along with this she can fix things, fly things, do mind tricks and generally kick ass. You might assume that there is something very, very special about her or possibly she did a lot of distance learning courses in her AT-AT home.

8. RobShanti

Jan 6, 2009
    Good call, EviL. That's right...now that you mention it, I do recall that dialogue between Luke and R2 on Dagobah.

EviL_eLF likes this.
  9. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    I think what you mean to say is "people cannot understand droids". They talk to them all the time.

If BB models have an understandable syntax and lexicon, there is no reason a person couldn't learn it. It is thirty years later and a new droid model.

EviL_eLF and RobShanti like this.
  10. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014
    ESB: Han is standing on the falcon, that little droid walks over, bleeps at Han...Han says something like, "There's got to be a reason for it, check it at the other end...wait a second" then finishes his conversation with Luke.

11. BK201

BK201 Jedi Padawan

Dec 18, 2015
    Rey is Galen Marek's daughter.

12. thenumberjuggler

thenumberjuggler Jedi Padawan

Oct 29, 2015
    wow fast answer. So some people can talk to (more importantly understand) droids, cool.

Matthew_Wolverine and EviL_eLF like this.
  13. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    That's because Artoo's link for communication was not an audible one through the X-wing.

14. sbk1234

sbk1234 Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 21, 2014
    This was exactly the point I was going to make, but you beat me to it.
    Also, in Rebels, everyone seems to be able to understand Chopper's beeps and whistles.
    I got the impression in the first two trilogies that most people picked up on droids' tone of their beeps and could more or less take a guess at what the droids were saying.

Honestly, I'm not crazy about the idea of people understanding droidspeak - that's what protocol droids are for - but it's not that big a deal to me.

15. SupremeChancellorWicket

SupremeChancellorWicket Jedi Youngling

Dec 18, 2015
    Han talks with Chewie. Lando talked with Nien Nunb. Most people/creatures even understood JarJar. On earth, some people are bilingual, provided you know the other language. Ah, but the question here asserts that the noises coming from R2 would not be considered speech. [I actually like the modem comparison]

On earth, some groups of people (particularly in Africa) communicate in part with a series of clicks that would sound meaningless to us living in First World, Western countries. See, for example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Click_consonant . I'm certainly not going to tell these folks that their method of communication isn't speech, just b/c it sounds like "noise" to me.

So, I reject this question's initial premise, that a droid's "noises" "aren't speech." Heck yeah, they are speech. And in SW, some people know the droid language.

Tan-Wessel, EviL_eLF and RobShanti like this.
  16. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    People's ability to speak with droids are limited. Only a few types that they deal with regularly. There are too many droid types for people to deal with them all, thus the value of a protocol droid who can cover all the rest.

I've yet to see a human in Star Wars claim to know 6 million forms of communication.

17. sbk1234

Sep 21, 2014
    fair enough.

18. sbk1234

Sep 21, 2014
    fair enough.

19. Devizz

Devizz Jedi Master star 3

Apr 30, 2014
    You seem to not realize that it is possible she learned to communicate with astromechs in her past. My theory is that her memory was erased.

Matthew_Wolverine likes this.
  20. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    Trolling much?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

21. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    Chewie and the Death Star mouse Droid seemed to communicate with each other just fine :-D

EviL_eLF likes this.
  22. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Actually, Luke just told R2, "R2... stay and watch over the camp." It wasn't a conversation.

23. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    Now that I think about it, Obi-Wan seems to understand R4-P17 in AOTC.

24. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Ok then...

http://thechristianjedi.com/quotes/luke-quotes-from-empires-strikes-back/

Luke: No, Artoo, you stay put. I’ll have a look around.
    Luke: Artoo?
    Luke: Artoo! Where are you?
    Luke: Artoo! You be more careful.
    Luke: Artoo — that way!
    Luke: Artoo!
    Luke: Oh, no! Are you all right? Come on. You’re lucky to get out of there. Anything broken?
    Luke: If you’re saying coming here was a bad idea, I’m beginning to agree with you. Oh, Artoo, what are we doing here? It’s like… something out of a dream, or, I don’t know. Maybe I’m just going crazy.
    Luke: Ready for some power? Okay. Let’s see now. Put that in there. There you go.

Is that enough conversation with Artoo for you?

25. Prequel_Rubbish

Prequel_Rubbish Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2014
    Luke talks to R2 in the same way you talk to your dog or cat. He doesn't phonetically understand the droid, but he can make out some different responses the same way a soft meow is different than a hiss or panting is different than a teeth-bearing growl.

Count me among the group that was really annoyed with Rey supposedly understanding every word BB-8 was saying.

sbk1234 and Bobatron like this.
  26. Raz Zaphon

Raz Zaphon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2000
    C-3po counts. Spents the first act of ANH having a conversation with R2 and translating everything he says to Luke.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.