main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

People don't "DO" things anymore...

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by MOTs_Minx, Jan 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MOTs_Minx

MOTs_Minx Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 26, 2000
    I mean...

...how many kids do you know these days who want to be a joiner or an electrician?

They pay a heckuva lot of money AND you can do homers.

Just what the heck are we contributing to the world here? Huh?

Do any of us here go home at the end of the day feeling good about what we've done? Or are we just part of a big working machine?

I sometimes feel like I'm just a lil cog in a very ill oiled cranky old machine.

I don't wanna look back when I've retired and think I've done nothing of worth!

Well...of course what we all do is of worth to the companies we work for...

...but whats going to be left behind, huh?

Should we be encouraging kids to go into computer-type jobs?

As CA has found, the IT market is saturated with Comp Science graduates and self-taught IT people and there's just not enough work there.

But...we are crying out for teachers, decent time-served tradesmen, bus & train drivers...

This was really just a rant...but it would be interesting to hear what yous think.

2. Ooh_Aah_Cantona

Ooh_Aah_Cantona Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 13, 2000
    Do any of us here go home at the end of the day feeling good about what we've done?

Yup. That's why I work in Social Services and not the private sector. And dammit, I do work.

3. anakin_pm

anakin_pm Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2001
    I haveto agree, there are way too many IT people about, and all kids want to do, Is play/make games, or be a footballer, I have always wanted to do Graphics/Animation, and that Is what I do, but with Kids these days doing absaloutly sweet Football Assiosiation about thier careers and thier education, we are all going to have a bunch of plonkers runnning the show :(

4. MayhemUK

MayhemUK Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 20, 2001
    And people who go off for Media Studies, History, Philosophy and other such really "useful in the workplace" subjects... are wasting their time when we need more people in Maths, Science and Technology.

Fecking Media Studies...

5. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    Yes, thats fair enough, Chet. Like I said, it was more a rant than anything else.

It pisses me off that some kids feel too high and mighty to manual type work.

I tell yous...I wish I could build something...or plumb stuff...or could be a spark...or a mechanic.

Hey Mat :)

Although I agree with you about Mickey Mouse degrees, I don't agree about Media Studies. The Media is The Fourth Estate.

6. Arun Dale

Arun Dale Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 21, 1999
    You know sometimes I loved to flush this 35K design job down the pan and become a dustman or a postman..something physical that includes lots of walking and whistling at 5.30 in the morning..

And then I'll have time in the afternoon to finish my novel

7. Ooh_Aah_Cantona

Dec 13, 2000
    ED: I haveto agree, there are way too many IT people about, and all kids want to do, Is play/make games, or be a footballer

But they're kids! Most people don't know what they want to do at that age. I've always wanted into work in the health/care side of things. But I didn't want to be a doctor. I worked in a cancer research lab till I became disllusioned with it all.

But if it wasn't for a little thing called "paying the bills" I'd quit and just do travel photography all the time.

ED: But in the meantime, I do love what I do. It is making a difference.

8. Arun Dale

Sep 21, 1999
    With regards to media studies...it's where the money is...

You are not going to earn 150K a year working in science

9. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    Thats not what I mean, Arun, and you know it!

I just know some people who have no qualifications, have come straight out of school and want to fall into a decent job with decent pay...but are too high and feckin mighty to go and learn how to do something!

But don't...and then just complain about the pissy wages they earn!

Its like...maybe they're parents had very well paid jobs so they've had all the lil luxuries that some kids didnt have so they expect to be making money to keep them in the manner they've become accustomed.

And, Chet, I agree with them being kids. I still don't know what I really want to do but I wish I'd have done something more useful than I'm doing just now while I decided.

10. MayhemUK

Mar 20, 2001
    Hey Cass :) Yes, I'm still about a bit...

What gets me about Media Studies (despite the ludicrous 23% increase in applications for it last year) is the fact I get the impression so many ppl think that by doing it, they'll get into some sort of position where they'll end up on TV/film and become famous. As if! This is what I got from asking students who were doing it several years ago for fecks sake. I just rolled my eyes and thought "whatever!"...

11. Poodu

Poodu Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 3, 1999
    What's the solution? I imagine it would be pretty difficult to make a kid want to be a carpenter or a train driver. One of the main problems is the goverment messing around with the apprenticeships. Take them away and replace them with the NVQ rubbish... ho hum..

12. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 27, 2000
    I'm suffering from 'same crap, different day' syndrome at the moment.

I sometimes wish I went into a manual Job. However, with me and things like that, the will is there but not always the skill.

Theres 3 things I've always wanted to do. Work on a Ranch in Montana ( I think I'm a bit of a frustrated cowboy), be a wildlife photographer, work on the radio.

Maybe one day. Never say never and all that.

13. Ooh_Aah_Cantona

Dec 13, 2000
    you do need luck getting your foot in the door. I've had a lot of it career wise. But I was prepared to start low. Luckily I've always had good bosses who have developed my career and given me good breaks..

14. MayhemUK

Mar 20, 2001
    Sounds familiar Alpha... or in my case it's sometimes "no crap at all to speak of"...

15. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    I agree, Sam.

I'll give you a comparison...

I had a mate in Glasgow who did Electronic & Electrical Engineering and came out with a first class honours after 4 years. His first job after leaving Uni he earned £21k.

His brother, did an apprenticeship with Glasgow City Council doing joinery or something like that, for four years...and after his apprenticeship...was earning £25k (plus had the skills to do things on the side to earn more...)...

I think we should be encouraging kids to look beyond technology because without these manual type jobs the world will grind to a halt.

16. anakin_pm

Feb 16, 2001
    I always wanted to be a teacher, I always respected my Primary School Teacher, he was left handed, and did cartoons really well, and basicly its all thank to him I do half the stuff I do now.

17. Arun Dale

Sep 21, 1999
    Well I'm a lazy slob by nature...and for the last 7 years I've been a workahloic..so I hope my boats comes in soon so I can quit the rat race and retire to a place that's quite and has no cars and I can do watercolours and sell them at the local post office

18. anakin_pm

Feb 16, 2001
    Oh plus kids are lazy and stoopid :p

19. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    Thats a good philosophy Arun.

I wish Jon would sell some of his painting so we can live off the proceeds and I can grow organic veggies and start a catering business...

LOL

20. Ooh_Aah_Cantona

Dec 13, 2000
    Did any of you see that programme on C4 a couple of weeks ago? About a couple who upped sticks and moved to just outside of Barcelona. They lived off the land and sold vegetables I think. Now that was quality life.

21. ObiJohnKenobi

ObiJohnKenobi Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 30, 2001
    // plows a paddy field

// hits muddy ox with stick

22. Ooh_Aah_Cantona

Dec 13, 2000
    don't hit TTG like that.

23. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    Actually...I dont want a catering business...

Its a Coffee Shop I want. It will be called The Sweet Soul Café (I think I've told yous about this before), where soft jazz will be played and there will be poetry nights and stuff...

24. Tanktopgirl

Tanktopgirl Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2001
    > I can quit the rat race and retire to a place that's quite and has no cars and I can do watercolours and sell them at the local post office

Getcha self to Amsterdam. I purchased a print (painting was too expensive) from a young lad who had his own lil hut opposite the Vondelpark where he sat and smoked and painted all day. Total bliss out.

As for living of the Fat O The Land, well I was put off by Steinbeck @ an early age. Look what happened to Lennie.

25. ObiJohnKenobi

ObiJohnKenobi Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 30, 2001
    LOL @ OAC

// waiting for TTG to notice you said that

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.