main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

People don't "DO" things anymore...

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by MOTs_Minx, Jan 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MOTs_Minx

MOTs_Minx Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 26, 2000
    LOL and his alfalfa field for the rabbits!!!

Kin I stroke the rabbits, George!!!

Someone suggested to me yesterday that Jon should ask some of the shops round Stony to display his painting to see if he can sell them.

2. Ooh_Aah_Cantona

Ooh_Aah_Cantona Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 13, 2000
    my ex is opening her own cosmetics/aromatherapy shop. With little quirky sayings on the bottles.

3. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
  4. Poodu

Poodu Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 3, 1999
    Get Jon doing that!! You never know! Maybe add a thing about him doing commissioned work! heh heh!

5. Tanktopgirl

Tanktopgirl Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2001

LOL @ M's M re: rabbit stroking. And we know that's not rude cuz Lennie was too intellectually challenged to use euphemisms.

// feargrins @ OA

Come here and say that

6. Poodu

Dec 3, 1999
    Didn't Lenny want to tend the rabbits? I forget...

7. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    Yeah Poodu...in a field of alfalfa...

(Thats why I started calling ALpha, Alfalfarabbits)

Jon doesnt want to be a commissioned artist. He says he does it because he enjoys it...he wouldnt enjoy it if someone was telling him what to paint.

8. Poodu

Dec 3, 1999
    He should try and sell some stuff of his though... it's damn good.

9. Jumping Jedi Flash

Jumping Jedi Flash Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 1999
    Yeah i saw that prog i would love to live off the land all these other crap is "so" fake.

Working for other people to increase their greed for this paper they called money.

I hate it and i havent got a job so i am in a no win situaton!

Also this so called other careers creating things with you hands etc technology, science etc. I did a degree in that area and i cant get a job!

Plus when yur a kid you all want to be a fighter pilot or astronaut not a dustman or electrican etc.

When i was 16 i didnt know what the feck i wanted to do. Even at 18 after A-levels i was forced to make a choice etc.

The problem is the government etc trying to get more people into "higher" education so at the bottom of the scale there isnt anyone to do the "manual" things.

Its like taking the rug out from under you.

Then when these people become few and far between the prices will rise and all hell will brake lose. Then as with the technology sector people will flood back into it to make more money.

10. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    I agree Sam. He's done a design for a massive canvas which I think he's gonna do soon...

...we'll see.

11. Ooh_Aah_Cantona

Dec 13, 2000
    tis a bit like my photography.

Although I love taking wedding pics for people I know. But it's a chore when I have to do it.

But if it's not a wedding, I love taking pics. Paid or unpaid.

12. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 27, 2000
    I'd love to take up photography seriously but it's hard to know where to start.

I guess, like most things, it takes years of experiance.

13. Ooh_Aah_Cantona

Dec 13, 2000
    do a course Guy. Jessops do day courses. Or join a photography club. Though I can't vouch for either of them as I have never tried them out. I've been taking pics for ten years though.

Did a course in college though which was a timetable filler. Started on an old manual camera to learn the basics first.

ED Just pic up your camera and start snapping.

14. ObiJohnKenobi

ObiJohnKenobi Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 30, 2001
    Chet .... I went to NYC with a normal, not bad, £100 automatic camera and various reels of colour and b&w film, expecting the b&w stuff to come back looking just like National Geographic, or those posters of skyscrapers they always have in men's hairdressers, but instead they were all far too pale. The colour ones were OK.

Fix my problem.

15. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    My brothers run a building company, and it's not all it's cracked up to be.

You always hear about dodgy builders, but the clients are often as bad, with things like witholding fees, changing their minds, trying to knock you down on prices, etc.

And personally speaking, I'm thinking of taking a course in something like Web design. There's just no CAD work around :(

16. Ooh_Aah_Cantona

Dec 13, 2000
    Sounds like they were under exposed on the paper, but hard to tell without seeing them.

have you got the negs? You need to take them back to the processersor and show them the prints. Tell them you want them darker and they can do it for you. They may need to send them away.

Or I could for you from the negs.

17. AlphaWolf

Feb 27, 2000
    Yeah, I thought about doing a Jessops course.

Pricey though. The courses, the equipment. Plus the things I'd like to take pics of are half way round the world.

still, Rome wasn't built in a day. :)

18. ObiJohnKenobi

Aug 30, 2001
    It was Boots I think that did em in the first place. Or was it Maxi Speiliman? Anyway, I wasn't sure if it was the processing or the limitations of my camera. They just seemed to lack contrast. You could see everything just fine, but it all just looked a bit wishy washy. I suppose I could well go back to Boots and whinge at them.

19. Jumping Jedi Flash

Jumping Jedi Flash Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 1999
    dont know if you will have anymore luck in web design ca :(

Had a few mates at uni that did that sort of thing and like me they aint got jobs!

20. Ooh_Aah_Cantona

Dec 13, 2000
    There are better workshops Alpha. Heather graham is one of the leading British photographers for wildlife. Go to this site to learn a bit about her courses.

Oops. ED: http://www.graysofwestminster.co.uk/

And OJK, the other reason that they came out pale was that the metering was taken using ths sky or a light background. If your camera has spot metering, you need to use that on a dark backgorund. But it can still be corrected through printing.

21. AlphaWolf

Feb 27, 2000
    Cheers Chet. I'll check it out. :)

ED: is that link right? It's not working for me..

22. Ooh_Aah_Cantona

Dec 13, 2000
    Alpha, check out my link edit. My bad.

John, it might be the camera's metering limitations. Go to Jacobs or Jessops. If the contrast is poor they can correct that for you by exposing the print longer. If it was batch processed they wouldn't have catered for your camera's mode.

23. AlphaWolf

Feb 27, 2000
    Thanks. :)

24. ObiJohnKenobi

Aug 30, 2001
    Nice one - thanks (blimey, you're putting out fires all over the place today ;))- that sounds right, there was lots of sunlight and sky about. I shall march back to boots armed with that info.

25. Ooh_Aah_Cantona

Dec 13, 2000
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.