People don't "DO" things anymore...

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by MOTs_Minx, Jan 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthArsenal6 Force Ghost

star 5
  2. Ooh_Aah_Cantona Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  3. MOTs_Minx Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I wouldnt do web design, Ben. Anybody (and mostly everybody) can do that.

Jeez...even I can design a web page.

Like I said before...the tech/computer industries are saturated.

4. Jairen Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Well, I'm booking myself into a course out a local media firm for digital filmmaking. It's a 2-day hands-on course that lets you get involved in all aspects of the shoot, including lighting, rigging, camera work, directing, editing etc.

They offer really good rates for studio hire etc for unfunded projects (all my work at the moment) and other stuff besides.
  5. DarthArsenal6 Force Ghost

star 5
    Yes Chet,

How life
    ANd What about you Mont_Minx ?
  6. Jumping Jedi Flash Jedi Master

star 4
    cool jairen how much it?

and where is it?

Heather graham is one of the leading British photographers for wildlife.

She is also a foxy chick who was in boogie nights. [face_mischief]
  7. MayhemUK Jedi Master

star 4
    Hi Darf... Dons still tearing out our bloody hair out eh?

And what's "Mont_Minx"? Could have been worse, could have typoed it to something else :p
  8. MOTs_Minx Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  9. DARK_SCORE Force Ghost

star 4
    MOTs_Minx,

The whole work thing is a tricky one, innit? I know what you mean exactly. I've had lots of jobs and the ones where you do an honest day's work and feel like you've contributed to the world make you go home a happy man.

The most satisfying job I ever had was for the county council - three of us went out in a van, parked by the side of the road in the country and just litter-picked the sides of the road for three miles in each direction. It was spotless afterwards and we all drove back looking at the litter-free grass verges with a massive feeling of satisfaction for the whole day.

I'm a journalist now - and I'm fully aware that my job isn't for the 'common good' (it only helps make F1 drivers even richer!) but I do enjoy and, in a small way, by being content myself I'm not adding any greater burden to society.

I think the key is to realize the value of other jobs . I've been a binman, a postman, worked in factories, in banks, in tortilla chip factories, packed toothbrushes, made cigarette machines, worked at Headingley Cricket Club, in a record shop, for the Football Association, for an old peoples' magazine etc etc. Thing is, I've found my niche now but I also appreciate the hard work and the value of others in whatever they choose or are resigned to do.

All too often, you meet grey-suited middle managers who don't have a clue about the people working long hours for low pay and treat them like dirt and with total disregard. That's where the problem is. And I think it's a problem that causes a lot of disillusion among both young and old.

By the way, I'm 29 and still earn less than 20K and I work unpaid at weekends (sometimes 20 or more a year) and put in 16-18 hour days every Monday. So I know what it's like to be under-valued and underpaid.

Sorry for my rant... My bad??? :)
  10. MOTs_Minx Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I agree with you DS. We do have to appreciate the manual workers - sheesh, we see how bad it gets when these people go on strike!

11. DARK_SCORE Force Ghost

star 4
    Tell me about it - I rely on South West trains to get to work! Well, I never rely on them... I use them! Ha! Ha! :D
  12. Jairen Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Hey JJF, it's based in Nottingham, a company called Intermedia

They are attached to a small cinema here called The Broadway or something like that.

The course costs £160 to do, and runs on week days and weekends. I've got some dates:

31/01 - 01/02 T/F
    28/02 - 01/03 T/F
    13/04 - 14/04 S/S
    09/05 - 10/05 T/F
    01/06 - 02/06 S/S
    27/06 - 28/06 T/F

There may be concessionary rates for unemployed, I'm not sure. It says to ask.

Also, I'm sure if you have to be a member or not (£15/year), but I am joining anyway as it gets me access to their facilities for a really good rate.
  13. MOTs_Minx Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Ben...if you're qualified in CAD...why dont you see about doing a college/degree course or something in architecture or civil engineering or be a draughtsman or something like that (or is a CAD techinician and a draughtsman the same thing?).

Its not like you have any dependents or anything...so now would be the time to do something like that.
  14. Arun Dale Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Intermedia: It's a good course...although some of the stuff the students come out with is a bit pretentious to say the least..

It where Shane Meadows ( The director of 24/7 and Room For Romeo Brass ) learnt the craft..

15. Gav Daragon Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    At 16 I didn't know what to do with my life so I stayed on at school another year when I didn't need to

At 17 I STILL didn't know what I wanted to do with my life. But the option of staying another year at school wasn't available, so I had 3 choices:

Pharmacy
    Law
    Business

I'm nearly 19 now and I STILL don't know what I want to do. I chose business because, I felt that it would offer the best prospects. But since starting that course I have become disillusioned with it all.

Law was the subject that interested me most. I got accepted to law school and I turned it down, due to the fact that it is a REALLY competitive industry in Scotland, and if I went and did that then I would have nothing to fall back on if I didn't get anywhere with it, which is why I'm considering going back to do this a few years after I have graduated and saved some money

But I DO do manual work at the moment too. And while I enjoy going to work because I have a lot of great friends there now (it also subsidises my DVD addiction), I rarely get anything out of it, except when I feel that I have actually done a great job and not something that is done normally (eg I caught up on English 4 when it was and hour and a half behind on a saturday, which is the busiest day for that sort of thing, and my manager told me he was very impressed by how much I had done)
  16. Jumping Jedi Flash Jedi Master

star 4
    cheers jairen i will take a look, bit far from me but hey, after i/we win the lottery with the fanforce lottery syndicate ;)
  17. Jumping Jedi Flash Jedi Master

star 4
    cheers jairen i will take a look, bit far from me but hey, after i/we win the lottery with the fanforce lottery syndicate ;)

edit:
    that link you gave dont seem to work thou!
  18. DarthArsenal6 Force Ghost

star 5
  19. MOTs_Minx Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  20. Wormie2 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I don't rock the world when I go into work but there are little victories. Sure, one day I hope to have a job that will make a real difference in peoples lives but right now I have to satisfy myself with knowing that I'm keeping people's medical files up to date and making sure all the spring clothes for brat kids are tagged correctly. ;)

And lets face it. Most people just push paper or something of equal boredom. Don't really make a difference that really matters. Nothing wrong with looking forward to Fridays and counting days til payday. Most people do that.

It's just that it strikes me as horrifically boring.
  21. MayhemUK Jedi Master

star 4
    I had as much fun doing security work down at the Newbury bypass as I am now :p

Mind you, that was a laugh and a half...
  22. DarthArsenal6 Force Ghost

star 5
    Am I mental she says

I just said good work !!!

I 'm sorry don't hurt me
  23. Darth_Graal Jedi Master

star 4
    well nice to know that I'm not the only one who strongly dislikes their job! I used to do a fairly manual job, being a porter at an 5 star hotel and now I do a sit in front of a screen all day job, the monets better but somehow the job satisfaction is less

Have any of you ever considered working in Another country? I live in New zealand and there are lots of jobs in lots of different areas available, the weathers great, traffic is always light, and your never any further than an hours drive from the coast/beach/ocean.

Have a look at www.seek.co.nz for more info
  24. Echo_Base Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Philosophy is incredibly important.
    Especially in today's world.
    We need thinkers as much as we need do-ers.
  25. Darth_Graal Jedi Master

star 4
    well thats another story, thought seems to be a lost art, we've become a "do" oriented society
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.