main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"People Don't Talk Like That" TCW/Rebels lines that were just awful

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by ninjaofthenight801, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Arguing about perceived biases?
    [​IMG]

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  2. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    It's dripping with nonsensical ness

3. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014

That was the point though in that particular case though because Maul was at that point was unhinged & mentally unstable and thus rambling as he could not formulate coherent speech at that time due to his madness. However, the lines were from the Sith code, " Through victory, my chains are broken."

Witwer talks about it here:

Maul, as voiced by Peter Serafinowicz in The Phantom Menace, has three lines. You had more dialogue just with his incoherent muttering in last week’s episode, so you’ve basically had to build this character from the ground up. What kind of research did you do to prepare?

Witwer: Well, I certainly watched Phantom Menace. And also this terrific music video promo that Peter Serafinowicz narrated, none of which ended up in the film. Then I read the comic book series where he goes after the Black Sun, and also just read a whole bunch of stuff on Wookieepedia about his background and tried to incorporate as much of that background into the character as possible. I agree with Dave on that. We have to tell our own story, but whenever we can incorporate elements of the EU in that, we should do it. Like how we included the Sith Code among Maul’s ramblings. I just started reciting that as one of my ad libs, then after the final line, “Through victory my chains are broken,” I added, “The chains…the chains are the easy part. It’s what goes on in here that’s hard.” And that’s a line that the Son has the Mortis trilogy. It’s when the Son is masquerading as that creepy little gnome who frees Ahsoka from her imprisonment. He actually says, “The chains…the chains are the easy part. It’s what goes on in here (points to his head) that’s the easy part.”

http://www.ew.com/article/2012/03/16/star-wars-clone-wars-darth-maul-sam-witwer/4

rumsmuggler and Vthuil like this.
  4. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    The line makes no sense

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I think the problem is that it's a callback to the Son on Mortis.

It's supposed to be all symbolic and ****.

And going by the thread title...people don't talk like that.

Do you all know anyone who talks in symbols?

6. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    I would just delete any posts that are turning the thread into an argument instead of locking the thread.

7. Pain and Suffering

Pain and Suffering Jedi Master star 3

Mar 8, 2015
    Have you ever met someone who talks like the characters in movies? Movies are art. In real life, people usually don't have an epic speech or a smart retort off the top of their head.

One line I dislike from the Clone Wars is "People say that the Republic is corrupt, but it's not," when Anakin is trying to explain politics to Ahsoka. It just doesn't match up with his character. I know he doesn't like politics, but that doesn't mean he doesn't understand them at all, simply that he likes to stay out of them. And he should understand corruption better than anyone else, having to deal with people like the Trade Federation and Clovis.

"We're not as young as we used to be."
    This just doesn't make much sense, since Padme isn't that old.

8. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Just a note to the guys having arguments, I made this thread as a bit of fun-NOT TO BASH TCW OR REBELS!

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  9. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Good thing I haven't seen a single example of either. So, I think we're good!

10. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    "I don't like this place, it gives me the creeps"-Rex using an imaginative phrase:p

Anyone got any lines from the 2D Clone Wars Cartoon?

11. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    My cringeworthy line comes from Rebels.

"You did this for fruit?"

podjazd and Ahsoka's Tano like this.
  12. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I know you meant well by posting a thread like this, but in a nutshell, haters are always gonna hate. A "best lines" thread would be far less controversial.

13. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    No, the 2D cartoon characters knew when to keep their mouths shut. ;)

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Not much dialogue in that series at all.

But Grievous saying "Run Jedi run!" was pretty bad.

Another one from TCW: the way Padme says "Uncle Ono!!!"

cwustudent likes this.
  15. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    "You will find the temple on Ilum destroyed." - Dooku
    "Dooku!" - Yoda
    'Dramatic sting!'

Sorry, I found this line too over the top.

Who was Yoda expecting it to be?

16. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Anything related to Artooie.
    Just can't stand that.
    Do love Snips and Skyguy though.

cwustudent likes this.
  17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Artooey was terrible, Skyguy was bad but Anakin's reaction made it worth it, and Stinky was funny as hell. I don't like Hutts.

18. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    I've just created a thread for the best lines of TCW/ Rebels in order to quench any further/potential arguments.

"Hold your positions! Hold your positions!"- Yoda- 2D Clone Wars

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Another bad line:

Anakin's whiny "More important than how you feel about me?" after Padme talks about her work.

People actually do talk like that, but...dude, she has a job, STFU.

cwustudent, podjazd and SilentGuy66 like this.
  20. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    Sabine: "Bucketheads!" talk about being a hypocrite...

21. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    But she's a buckethead that can actually hit her targets.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    "In response to this attack, I withdraw our offer of peace." Dooku (LOLwut?)

23. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I liked that line and it makes perfect sense too. :)

24. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    "Our love should not be hidden, like its some immoral thing!"

"We knew it would be like this. Perhaps things can change after the war, but for now the Republic needs you. And in the shadows of Coruscant, or any other city, but most importantly in my heart, I will always love you."

"Well, you do look really good in the dark."

[face_sick]

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  25. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    "I tasted only vengeance when I slaughtered so many to avenge your death."

It's not that it was the worst thing I ever heard come out of a character's mouth in TCW (it wasn't). And it's not that it's a nonsensical sentiment (it isn't).

And on the plus side, the lines does give us a nice little peek into Anakin at this point in his journey: That he understands that, while he may have felt justified in the moment, it served no good purpose to slaughter the Tuskens. And that he's still carrying a sense of guilt over his actions.

No, the reason that quote was one of the first to spring to mind is because no one speaks like that. Not even Anakin, himself. Especially when you're in the middle of a conversation with your dead mother.

Give Lanter credit for trying, but there's probably no way anyone was going to be able to read that kind of a line and make it sound like a natural thing to say in the course of a conversation. Instead, it comes across as stilted, wordy and overwrought.

Harrison Ford had it right: "George, you can type this poodoo, but you can't say it!"