main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

People looking for things to hate will find them, real fan rebuttle thread. (edited, sorry Mods)

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by -Madcap-, May 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Telemachos

Telemachos Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2002
    Thanks, sdj -- I'll cherish that for all time (or at least until Ep3). ;)

2. -Madcap-

-Madcap- Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2001
    Hope you find more to like in episode III.

That's not sarcasm, either.

3. Telemachos

May 21, 2002
    I do too. Rest assured, though -- for all my bitching, I liked a goodly bit of AOTC.

4. ElfStar

ElfStar Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2001
    Part of the problem seems to stem from the extreme perspective that one can only be a basher or a gusher, a fan or a non-fan. From what I tell, most people are a combination of both -- there are things people love about all the films, and a (few) things that people don't like.

True, Telemachos. Unfortunately, on this board you might as well spit into the wind. :) For good or evil, I fear this board is always going to be split into 2 camps, the gusher and the basher. Although I have noticed most people really are more ambivalent in genral than with TPM. TPM really tended to polarize people.

5. ElfStar

Mar 24, 2001
    WB: Oh come on! You obviously just fulfilled your own expectations! You were expecting to hate ESB, and so you did! Face it, you're just a hater! Anyone who dislikes eSB is NOT a real SW fan. Period. You need to shut up and enjoy the sequels for what they are, and not use the first ones to judge the new ones. You must "unlearn what you have learned." :p

6. T-burcio

T-burcio Jedi Youngling

Aug 10, 2001
    This isn't the story about Luke, Han and Leia. We don't have Rebels on the run here. We have the Jedi trying to fix things up in the Republic which is slowly becoming the Empire. We have a couple trying to find a place for their love in the restricting confines imposed by Society.

The dialogue wasn't so good. The acting is not in the level of A Beautiful Mind. I can get past that. I'm watching the movie not to be wowed by a LOTR-like epic or a Spiderman-like action/drama. I'm watching Star Wars. I have no illusions of grandeur for it.

I recall being bored with Episode IV. The slow times in ROTJ. And yes Mark Hamill's acting in TESB was too distracting but that didn't stop me from loving Star Wars. I can expect no more and no less from AOTC. It's Star Wars all in all.

7. -Madcap-

Jun 9, 2001
    HEY NOW!!!!!

We're not supposed to be all friendly here!!!!!!!!!

We're supposed to be at each others throats!!!!!!!!!

;)

8. Telemachos

May 21, 2002
    Damn you! Damn you all to hell!

Oh wait, wrong series... :D

9. Darth Shade

Darth Shade Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2000
    LOL!! Now THERE'S a series with some lame sequels! :D

10. ladyvader1979

ladyvader1979 Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2002
    yeah AOTC did ROCK!

But you now what the problem is, all these bashers, they are comparing these stories to the OT, but the problem is theyre not like it, theyre PRIOR the evil, PRIOR the torment, PRIOR the DARK LORDS THAT KICKED BUTT. So of course, these bashers saw the OT in their young age, so nothing will compare to the affect the OT had for them.
    But, these three, to the younger corwd, my seven year old cousin, is what makes Star Wars stick with us for so many years. After the OT what did everybody go do? They ran out and bought books, Eu was born.
    Now what? We know the past, which makes the OT even better. Therefore indirectly making these two, and eventually the third the best.
    (has anyone see ROTJ lately, now knowing what Anakin went through, his love, hate and rage...I CRIED when he died!)Its about ANakin NOT Luke!

11. -Madcap-

Jun 9, 2001
    LadyVader~

I've been watching TPM and the OT for a week and a half, i can't stop myself! This really spells a lot out. That last scene when Vader gives into the Light and saves Luke is 10 times more powerful to me.

12. -Madcap-

Jun 9, 2001
    I see some bashers, i shall lure them in so they can post here instead of cluttering up the boards with useless new posts.

En Gaurde!

All you bashers suck! And.... YOU SMELL FUNNY!!!!

13. Bresson

Bresson Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2002
    There's a difference between a flawed film and a bad one. I think a flawed one is one that has ambition but doesn't pull it all off (Godfather 3 comes to mind); a bad one is just insincere filmmaing (Pearl Harbor comes to mind). I don't think anyone could accuse Lucas of being insincere (well, maybe a few critics) It's not fair to ignore the criticisms because some of them are valid. As much as I liked the movie (twice already, and plan to see it over Memorial Day weekend; tradition, you know), there are flaws to the film, and some of my best friends who are crazy STAR WARS fans expressed disappointment over this one. Not mean spirited, vindictive rage, like some film critics. Just a wan feeling of indifference. The main problem seems to be the characters. While I like these characters, I just don't love them. Lucas'
    decision to have them act in arch, almost museum like manner really keeps them at a distance. I have to blame this on Lucas. These are fine actors who have been excellent in most every film they've been in. While I don't think they are bad (McGregor, Christiansen, and Frank Oz are quite good, and Portman is ravishing, and Jackson is, well, Shaft), Lucas continually shortchanges them by not having them emote, at least not in a consistently believable manner. Instead of having them ACT out their emotions, show their characters through behavior, Lucas more often than not chooses to have them speak what they are thinking. This just doesn't fly in contemporary cinema and his statement that this is a throwback to 30s, 40s films is a cop out. This is 2002 and even Disney cartoons aren't so religiously old fashioned. Characters don't need to say "I've been dying a little since you came back into my life" or "I burn with the thought of our forbidden kiss". Much has been made that this is a "Titanic" style romance; in some sense, the love story is no less silly than the one in that movie. But the difference is in how Cameron chose to show his lovers with how Lucas chooses to do so. Yes, the dialogue is equally limp and cliched. But Cameron chose to show the important arc of their relationship through action (i.e., they meet as he saves her life; they dance; they stand on the bow of the ship with the sunset). Lucas basically begins his love story with Anakin walking into a room and shaking hands with Padme. Why not have Anakin and Padme reunite with him saving her life? After all, that's what throws them back together again, right? Another memo to Lucas: If I never see another character introduced by walking into a room, I'll be happy. The way Lucas has chosen to handle the characters just doesn't feel dynamic. He seems to be parading them rather than dramatizing them. And that is what will ultimately keep some people from liking this movie. There is no identification with the characters. As much as I personally liked the movie, I see their point on this. In fact, I thought the movie was really jittery until the Tatooine sequences when I felt the movie locked in. Why? Because when they arrive on Tatooine, Anakin has a conflict and Padme has to help him through it. It's powerful and it feels real. Lucas needed to refocus the development of his love story in this direction more. Yet, even later on in the movie, Lucas misses opportunities to advance and build on these emotions when Anakin barely connects to Padme even in life or death situations. Alas, this is all spilt milk. This is what we have. I guess the love story works better if you look at it as some sort of destiny thing, where Anakin and Padme are pawns to some higher order and they are thrown together against even their own better judgment. But that's not terribly dramatic. I would like to think of this as a romance born out of idealism that will be corrupted beyond belief. The moments that made ATTACK OF THE CLONES, for me, one of the best Star Wars movies, were the concluding images: the armies marching to meet the separatists; the imperial cruisers, and that fateful kiss. It sets everything up for something even my disappointed friends called, "A great movi

14. jedi scholar

jedi scholar Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 31, 1999
    I am an old time fan and I love this movie, so don't assume that all of us who were kids when the OT was released are hyper-critical. I'm not sure that I agree that Lucas's remark about his films'relationship to the old serials is a total cop-out. I think that this is the effect the GL is going for. Whether he pulls it off or not is another story. As far as tongue-twisting dialogue, lots of old plays were even more formal and stilted than this and yet they still worked, although they do not always suit our modern tastes. (I'm thinking 19th century melodrama here).

15. -Madcap-

Jun 9, 2001
    EXACTLY!!!!!!

16. -Madcap-

Jun 9, 2001
    Jedi_scholor

I was around then, too. I prefer to wait until Eppy III to tie it all in. THAT is GL's biggest challenge.

17. Telemachos

May 21, 2002
    A comment made by someone from another messageboard, which sums up some of my general sentiment quite well:

I would argue that as pieces of pure pop entertainment, the OT are simply better made films than the current trilogy on a purely filmic level. What came so effortessly to Lucas and company in the late 70's through the early 80's seems to be just beyond their grasp this time around. The more you tighten your grip, the more that will slip through your fingers indeed.

18. -Madcap-

Jun 9, 2001
    Guys, i'm history. I got flamed on another board (Episode III spoilers). I made the mistake of PMing a "mod" to help out, and he said i was "baiting him" this after telling him 3 times that we could end it and actually laying myself bare to allow him to lay off with some selfe respect. He refused, then i made the mistake of PMing a "Mod". Darth Ludicrous said i would be banned alongside the guy flaming me.

I obviously have no place here. I PMed him again requesting to be IP banned if that was how it is done around here. I don't want to be in a place where trying to make up with people is viewed as 'baiting' if they don't respond to it.

So farewell. I'm outsky. The mods here are okay, depending on who you get. Just NEVER tell Darth Ludicrous anything.

19. Telemachos

May 21, 2002
    I'm a mod on another forum and it's a tough gig -- you get bitter people no matter what you do.

My advice, cool off -- take a day or two away from the boards as a mini-vacation, then come back. It ain't worth the stress of bitching at people over, but overall the community is a good one.

20. Darth Shade

Mar 27, 2000
    Nah. All mods suck, Tele, including you. ;) :p

He's right though, Madcap. Your enthusiastic discussion will be missed if you leave.

21. ElfStar

Mar 24, 2001
    Hey, I just realized Tele has the same authority as me on this board. In other words, he can't touch me!

Haha! Take that, you loser. :p

22. Darth Shade

Mar 27, 2000
    OMG, you're right!! :D *kicks Tele where it hurts* ;)

23. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    Now matters are worse.

24. MachinatingMachiavel

MachinatingMachiavel Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 1, 2002
    hehe. great post. barbaric. I like it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.