main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC People offended by Christmas decorations

Discussion in 'Community' started by Yoda's_Roomate, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    What's your take on it? Are you one of those who still see Christmas as a religious holiday, or just a time to be merry and give gifts and celebrate the end of the year?

Are you offended by stores who put up trees and Santa Claus? Do you think people like that are those types who are offended by everything and just make life miserable for everyone or are they justified and there should be no Christmas decorations anywhere?

Personally, for me its just a time to be merry and celebrate. I grew up Christian, but I do not practice any religion, but I'm not offended by any decorations. You wanna put up baby Jesus? Go ahead I don't care. Trees, lights, Santa? I'm all for it. Hanukkah and the menorah? Put it up too.

To me its just a time to be happy. Stop looking so much at what others are doing. Pretty sure they're not doing it to hurt you. I mean am I to believe all these years people were suffering because they had to stand Santa and Christmas music on a mall and now its time to speak up and end the suffering? Sorry but I don't see it.

2. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    I'm a liberal nutjob and I know tons of other liberal nutjobs, and I have never met anyone who was actually offended by Christmas lights and Christmas trees. Some people get upset about nativity scenes on government property, but that's about it.

3. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
  4. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    I think the people who are mad about the red cups are mad about the comparative lack of Christmas decoration.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  5. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  6. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I'm the HR Manager for a hospital here, and last week I had to go over with the doctors and leadership that we couldn't allow nativities on desks, etc., as we do get some state funding, and there are rules in place against religious decor.

One of the spine surgeons angrily piped up and said "so this means that we can tell the Mozz-lems that they can't decorate their desks with car bombs, right?!" The entire room erupted in nervous laughter.

I wrapped up my presentation a bit quicker than normal and sat down, just dumbfounded.

7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Only time the decorations bother me is when stores start putting them out in August. (Harrods - I'm looking at you). My local Sainsburys supermarket had an aisle split between Halloween and Christmas stuff for the month of October. If they are out in the Christmas season that's fine. Someone having a Nativity scene on a desk at work or school wouldn't bother me.

8. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    I'm an atheist liberal..... and I love Christmas. Christmas, as a set of cultural traditions, FAR surpasses a mere religious festival to me. I do not object at all to Christmas decorations, not even on public land, though decorations on public land should not be explicitly religious. I don;t think I'm unusual. Probably 3/4 of my friends are atheists (or non-practicing "cultural Christians") and we all decorate for the holiday. Heck, I explicitly DON'T buy the Christ nativity story, and I STILL put out a nativity set my in-laws gave me, and I sing religious Christmas carols because as far as I'm concerned, it's an important myth in cultural heritage.

The "Christians" upset by the red Starbucks cups are Nucking Futs AKAIC.

9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm very liberal and love seeing all the Christmas lights/decorations all over the place this time of year. Bring it on.

10. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Another example of a fringe extreme small group being loud and annoying about something most people have no issues with.

11. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    While it's true that the left is overly sensitive about a lot of things, when it comes to Christmas, there's only one group that gets overly offended about everything: Christians.

TX-20, Abadacus, harpua and 6 others like this.
  12. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    SuperWatto likes this.
  13. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    It was probably 20 or so years ago, when it became politically correct to say "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas." I was perplexed at the time as to why people would get offended by wishing someone a "Merry Christmas." I understand why now, but there's really no malice intended in wishing anyone a Merry Christmas.

Anyway, I'll be putting up my Christmas tree and lights shortly after Thanksgiving.

Happy Festivus!!!

14. Shira A'dola

Shira A'dola Jedi Master star 6

Sep 4, 2012
    I just get irritated by seeing Christmas decorations for sale in October and people with Christmas lights still strangling their houses in the middle of summer. It's abhorent.

But honestly, if you're going to get offended by how someone celebrates a holiday, you need to take a breather. That kind of stress is going to give you a heart attack.

15. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    [​IMG]

To Christmas cheer!

16. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, I'm irritated by the commercialization of Christmas and the earlier and earlier push of it. Moreso, the retailers that have their doors open on Thanksgiving to cash in the commercialization of the holiday. I respect REI for not only being closed on Thanksgiving but also on Black Friday.

Here's a question for you non-Americans that do not have Thanksgiving. When does the official/traditional Christmas Holiday shopping season start for you?

17. Shira A'dola

Shira A'dola Jedi Master star 6

Sep 4, 2012
    Well I'm American but I've been in the UK for the past six months. And they had Christmas decorations up in October, hence my complaint :p

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  18. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    I'm with the other liberal atheists/agnostics who love Christmas. My lady wife and I love this season and all the decorations and music, and we're both pagans. Although I rejected Christianity decades ago now, in preference to a more ecumenical embracing of all faiths and at the same time none, it helps to know that all of the secular aspects of the winter holiday -- the tree, the holly, the yule log, the feasting, even Santa himself -- have origins in pre-Christian European tradition. So while the wife and I might make fun of baby Jesus and the idea that he's up there giggling at our suffering -- because how else would a puling infant respond to my problems? -- we adore this thing called Christmas and welcome it with open arms each every December. AND NO SOONER.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  19. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i love christmas

i'm offended by stores opening on Thanksgiving

20. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Some of the UK stores have started doing Black Friday, same as the US.

21. hdridernate

hdridernate Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 5, 2015
    Im offended that people get offended ....
    Bunch of ****ing cry babies out there!
    Stop worrying about other people, and worry about yourself!
    Geez ... people piss me off!

Rabs, Juliet316 and JEDI-RISING like this.
  22. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I love Christmas, and I get giddy when I see the first Christmas sections in the stores in October. Still though I think it's important to keep decorating, music to the actual season. Also I live far enough North that by December it gets dark around 3 pm, for Swedes decorating with light is very important. The first light decorations are usually put up for the 1st of Advent.
    [​IMG]
    The most typical decorations are the electric candle holder and star. Outside you can put up lights in trees, but no Santas or things like that. The big red decorations usually come up gradually after the 13th of December, when we celebrate Lucia.

23. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Frah-geel-lee. Must be French. It's a major award!

[​IMG]

Sarge, Rabs, TX-20 and 8 others like this.
  24. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    The gleam of electric sex in the front window....

25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I love everything about Christmas, it's my favorite time of year. I even enjoy a good reading of Luke 2: 1-20 even though I'm not religious at all. It's a nice story, and I heard it every year as a kid so it brings back memories.

This thread is reminding me of that time my Mom frowned when putting the baby Jesus into the nativity scene on top of her piano because baby Jesus "doesn't look right; he's too white." Some of the common depictions of Jesus are annoying--whether Jesus was divine or not, he was Middle Eastern, not a bloody Irishman.

I don't get annoyed at Christmas decorations before Thanksgiving but I do get annoyed at their being up before Halloween.

When I'm putting holiday books out at work, I do include Hanukkah books and Kwanzaa books, not to avoid offending anyone but to avoid leaving anyone out.

Shira A'dola and JEDI-RISING like this.