main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC People offended by Christmas decorations

Discussion in 'Community' started by Yoda's_Roomate, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Yeah....let's ask Thanksgiving how the "War on Christmas" is going...

2. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

Happy Pushing and Shoving at Wal-Mart Day.

3. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
  4. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, Thanksgiving was conquered by Christmas years ago. Thanksgiving has basically become, "I spend my day off so I can wait in line and buy stuff from myself." Which is not a bad thing, but the traditional home cooked Thanksgiving dinner where family gather around the table to share a meal has been replaced with parking lots and sidewalks and restaurant take out.

Getting back to the discussion of Christmas decorations. I like seeing house dressed up in lights. It's comforting for me to see people in the celebrating spirit and expressing they joy through decorations.

Like this:

[​IMG]

5. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    well i saw a Thanksgiving tree at the grocery store. it was made up of orange garland with gold ribbon and little pumpkins for ornaments

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    We still do the family-gathering-around-the-table with my extended family. Several of them know how to cook. I bring wine.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  7. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    the black friday stuff is so dumb. there's a whole weekend to shop. i went once because i wanted some pants on sale. waited in a line on friday morning at 9 am. the next night i happened to go back, no one in the store and same pants still on sale.
    now they're making people work on thanksgiving.

8. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Meh... it doesn't really bother me when holiday stuff gets put out early, and I actually kind of like when people "overdo" their decorations... they're cool to look at. Like somebody else said, the only thing that really bugs me about the holiday season are the people who get pissed off at others celebrating it differently than they think they should. People should do what they want to do.

I do think it's obnoxious that some places force employees to work on thanksgiving.

Also, I avoid black Friday like the plague... **** that.

9. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    stores started having black friday sales here too, a few years ago. we don't even celebrate thanksgiving..... yet... oh god..

why do you have to drag every other country down with you, america.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Soon the whole world will be covered by Black Friday and every day will be Black Friday and store employees will have to work even when they're dead (but at least they get time-and-a-half)! [face_skull] [face_flag]

11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Note: Starbucks holiday cups have never said Merry Christmas on them.

12. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Stores being open on Thanksgiving to beat the Black Friday rush annoys me. It's like retailers listened to the people who would say, when Thanksgiving dinner was done and at 7 or 8 at night on Thanksgiving and then would opine, "Why can't the stores be open RIGHT NOW?", and they decided "You know what? You're right. Our employees aren't people with families anyways".

13. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

OMG, the gays?

The gays are takin over Matilda!

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  14. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

15. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    i like those starbucks cups. they'll be somewhat helpful in masking the blood after i slit the barista's throat.

Ender Sai likes this.
  16. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    The thing is, it's not "Christians" generally. I know a lot of conservative Christians, and I don't know any that ever even discuss the supposed War on Christmas. I think it's mostly a story that exists in the media and with a few loud fringe people. I also don't know any non-Christians who are actually upset by Christmas.

That guy complaining about Starbucks is a self-described "social media personality". In other words, a run of the mill douchebag who just wants attention. There are people like that who are from all sorts of backgrounds. Assuming they are representative of one group or another is just as bad as, say, assuming all black/gay/Jewish/athiest/female/etc. people are one way based on a small sample.

17. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I don't mind Christmas at all, though prefer after Halloween because of all the fun there. Love people going way out with decorations and often just drive around to the places I've heard are really good. Haven't done Black Friday shopping in a couple decades because it's just stupid now. I'm sure they don't have any more items on super sale than they did in the 90's.

18. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I'm never annoyed or offended or outraged by Christmas.
    I am often bemused though. When I see hordes of people suddenly slog trees around, to put them in their homes, only to throw them all out a month later. And put lights and decorations in them in the mean time.

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    But it's FUN. And there are Star Wars ornaments. :p

20. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    SuperWatto likes this.
  21. Obi-Wan's Apparition

Obi-Wan's Apparition Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 10, 2000
    Remind me to never have spine surgery at your hospital.

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    He can consider himself asked about whatever this Dutch thing is that I don't recognize.

23. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Zwarte Piet is... Very Dutch and very strange :p Google it.

Personally I love Christmas, but we shouldn't be doing a damned thing to do with it until after Thanksgiving.

But not Black Friday. That is abhorrent, and I have never seen the appeal at all. I mean, most of my cousins wind up leaving Thanksgiving dinner early so they can go to Black Friday... On Thanksgiving night.

I love that REI declared all of its stores will be closed Thanksgiving and Black Friday, all employees will get paid days off, and they want to encourage everyone to go outside and enjoy time with friends and family instead.

24. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    **** Black Friday and whomever thought up the idea of it. I never wanted to go shop for anything for Christmas that day. And I hated that entire weekend when I worked in retail.

25. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    I don't shop when the media tells me to! Which has made holidays shopping rather stress-free for me, which allows me to enjoy it more.

Juliet316 likes this.