main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC People offended by Christmas decorations

Discussion in 'Community' started by Yoda's_Roomate, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
  2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes, I am offended by Christmas music too, Wocky!

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I want a "Best and Worst Christmas Songs" thread.

But not until after Thanksgiving.

4. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015
    this Starbucks outrage is the most pointless thing ever

Master_Rebado likes this.
  5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Easy.

Best: None
    Worst: All

6. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    i like the charlie brown christmas album. i saw the vinyl at narnes and bobbles but i didn't pick it up. i'm very tempted to, though.

7. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    Nothing says Christmas like Jose Feliciano singing Feliz Navidad from Daryl Hall's home. I declare this thread the official Christmas thread. Let's get the party going.

Juliet316 likes this.
  8. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I have no problem with Christmas decorations...as long as they're up no sooner than Black Friday. Putting them up on November 1st is waaaaaayyyy too early.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  9. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Bing Crosby White Christmas and Nat King Cole Christmas Album or The Magic of Christmas are timeless classics.

Juliet316 likes this.
  10. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

As much as I'm a Christmas grinch, I don't go that far when it comes to the music; there's some rather great ones out there.

11. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    i actually have my own xmas song. lovingly put together by a tech guy at my last firm, who we clearly wasn't working hard enough, and has practically zero editing skills. just to let you know, the bloke dancing in the field in the second part of the clip is not me, merely someone they thought looked like me.

anyway, here's this years xmas number 1

12. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
  13. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
  14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Best: Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer
    The Chipmunk Christmas Song

Worst: Do They Know It's Christmastime At All? (No, and they don't care either.)
    Merry Christmas, Darling (thanks for giving me diabetes so I can't eat gingerbread now, sappy song)
    Christmas Shoes (if I'm dying on Christmas Eve night, I don't want my kid to go to the store and buy me shoes, I want him to bring me a glass of wine)

15. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014
  16. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Don't worry, I'm certain the Christmas shoes kid doesn't have a dying mother. He's a street rat out to scam suckers.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  17. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
  18. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    It's bad enough Juliet is back, SSP.

19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Walmart has had Xmas decorations up since end of September. Very bizarre.

20. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998

I hope it works outside of Sweden.

21. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Some not-entirely-random thoughts I've been collecting over the past few days:

I'm a practicing Catholic, as are my wife and daughters, and go to Church probably 8-10 times a year. I would say I'm a person of faith, but that's faith, not knowledge, and a significant part of that faith is questioning and even doubting at times.

If there is one day a year I definitely go to mass, it's Christmas Eve, which is the "high point" of Christmas (exchanging gifts, etc) in Germanic countries like Austria and the children's mass includes a Christmas play. It's generally my favorite time of year, though Christmas Day itself usually leaves me pretty grumpy due to family in-fighting. I love being in Salzburg, where the whole inner city is decorated starting in mid to late November, when the Christkindlmärkte open here and in surrounding towns. How can you not love Glühwein and Punsch? We put up lights both in and and outside the house, though we keep it modest. If someone wants to go all out, that's their choice, same goes for anyone who doesn't.

Do I think Christmas is under attack? Certainly, but not by the stores putting up decorations on 1 November or opening on Thanksgiving and Black Friday, but those standing on line at the stores at midnight on Black Friday. Who I'm pretty sure are the ones crying "They're killing Christmas" the loudest afterwards (once they've taken a nap, I assume).

I'm not offended by the Starbucks cup, but I am offended by that idiot posting youtube videos and whining about it. Seriously, it's a cup. Protest the crap coffee served in the cup.

I am somewhat annoyed by the chain of shopping malls that put up spaceship decorations for that Santa picture area, which included Roosevelt Field mall, which is near where I grew up and went shopping often. Mainly because of the stupidity. Maybe it was just an aesthetic choice, in which case they have incredibly poor taste, and, moreover, completely missed that the key ingredient in the whole spiel is tradition. nothing traditional about Space Alien Santa.Or they really were doing it because they thought having trees would be offensive to some; why would trees be more offensive than Santa, a tradition that has far more of a religious basis (at least until Coca-Cola came along). Morons.

Best Christmas songs? Among the traditional, religious ones I'd go with O Come All Ye Faithful and a German/Austrian one called "Es wird scho glei dumpa". On the pop side, well, nothing beats The Pogues "A Fairytale of New York". "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" is a brilliant standard, but hang anything on the highest bough and I will have no choice but to beat you senseless with said bough.

And lastly, Ender Sai fails yet again, Krampus pwns Zwarte Piet, everyone knows that.

EDIT A pretty good rendition of Es wird scho glei dumpa by Hubert von Goisern, an Austrian folk musician who actually played South-by-southwest several years ago

22. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I was actually thinking we should have a regional Christmas thread, where Krampus, Zwarte Piet, Lucia and others outside of the "eat turkey on Christmas day" could have their time in the spotlight. And I agree on Krampus!

yankee8255 likes this.
  23. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Also, I'm from Queens, NY, so this will always have a special place in my heart

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  24. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    the weirdest thing for me is that now people who were whining about starbucks are celebrating the release of a dunken donuts cup that says "joy" and has a wreath. how is that any more christian than a red cup? red is a commercial christmas color; a wreath and the word "joy" are commercial christmas motifs as well. its not like they draped it in crosses. how ****ing stupid are these people?

25. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Joy is shorthand for the biblical "Joy to the World."
    The wreath symbolizes Jesus being tortured apparently.

But none of that changes the fact that people are pretty ****ing stupid.