main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

People on e-bay are nuts!

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by Jedi_Nova, Apr 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Nova

Jedi_Nova Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 11, 2001
    Hello all,

I thought this might give everyone a good laugh, and show how badly I have the collecting bug!

I just won a few old green card figures that I did not have, all the figures started at 99 cents. The figures I bid on were a collection 1 green card Boba Fett (now all I need is a FF to have all the cards) a collection 3 Darth Vader (now I have all his card variations) and a collection 3 Death Star Gunner.

Keep in mind they all started at 99 cents. When there is a figure I really want on there, I usually bid some crazy amount, to protect myself from the last minute sniper bidders. So, in my stupidity I bid $35 on all three figures thinking that Boba Fett would be the highest and go for around $15, Darth for around $8 and the Death Star Gunner for maybe $5.

Well some other collector must have REALLY wanted that Collection 1 Boba Fett cause the auction ended at $32! So now I have a $32 Boba Fett figure, and I will catch heck about it for the rest of my life from my fiance Mercedes.

Now feel free to make fun of me! :)

EDIT:
    I was pretty close on the other 2! Darth was $8.50 and the DS Gunner $6!

2. Clockwork

Clockwork Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 12, 2002
    I have noticed that often on Ebay winning an auction turns into a "must-win-at-any-cost" competition. Bidders forget why it is they want whatever it is they're bidding on, they just want to win.

3. Joseph_Orion

Joseph_Orion Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    damn, i know my girlfriend would've freaked out lmao. I remember when I bought 2 boxes of Lord Of THe Rings Boosters in front of her. She goes "buy 2 boxes!" lol and I was all amazed and i had the money so i said "OK!!!" and when it rang up to 180 dollars, she freaked... lmfao She thought they were gonna be like 20-30 dollars a piece, silly girl :)

4. Jedi_Nova

Nov 11, 2001
    I have to agree Clockwork. Looks like my brilliant plan back fired on me this time!

5. Joseph_Orion

Nov 9, 2001
    "I have noticed that often on Ebay winning an auction turns into a "must-win-at-any-cost" competition. Bidders forget why it is they want whatever it is they're bidding on, they just want to win. " - Clockwork

Sadly, I play pokemon with my best friend, he's 20, i'm 21, and playing a kid's card game lol *my turn to hang head in shame*. Luckily I don't go out and try to beat little kids at it who have to settle for one or two booster packs a week. Anyway, Last night I bid on a thunderstorm gift box. Now All I really honestly wanted was the CD Rom that came with it so i could sit around and play it on the computer when i was bored. And it was going for 3.99. So i figure, why not. I bid on it. some other guy started bidding on it. 3 minutes to go and the thing is up to 10.27 so I bid again to 11.27 and then he bids to 12.05 or something and then I realize that this thing is totally not worth that much so i let him bid to his heart's desire and figured i'll pick it up cheaper somewhere else lol

p.s. feel free to make fun of me or pokemon or both!! lmao >:)

6. Jedi_Nova

Nov 11, 2001
    Yea I have never understood why people wait till the last minute to bid on things. I have lost quite a few auctions due to sniper bidders, hence my $35 bid on those figures. It is kinda disheartening to watch something you put a bid on 5 days ago with no other bids suddenly jump up with 3 seconds to go.

7. Joseph_Orion

Nov 9, 2001
    Sadly, it's the name of the Ebay game. I always mark things on my watch list and snipe the hell out of them when it's almost over...but rest assured, that wasn't me that tried to get that Boba Fett Figure!!!!!

8. Jedi_Nova

Nov 11, 2001
    Awww Joseph, I really wanted to like you but your one of them now! :)

I have found a lot of great deals on e-Bay though, bought some figures for less than $2. My collection had grown from 3 figures in Febuary, to about 90 now. I dont think I have spent more than a few hundred bucks, which is less than the $450+ they would have been at retial.

Did any of you actually try those Amazon coupon codes that were spammed on here the other day?? I didnt follow that guys link but went directly to Amazon.com and put an AT-ST & Speeder Bike and Jedi Starfigher in my cart, plucked in the codes and they all worked! The total was $35 shipped, so I pretty much got the starfighter for free. Not that I agree with what that guy did, but hey, I wish more spam was that helpful!

EDIT:

MY 100TH POST!!!!!!!!!!!!

Woo Hooo!!!!

9. chunk_the_jawa

chunk_the_jawa Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 8, 2002
    I used to be against snipping but hay so is life, eat or be eaten.I hate being sniped while I'm sniping my self. happens alot.

10. Jedi_Nova

Nov 11, 2001
    Awww man, not you too Chunk! Are there and civilized people left! ;)

11. Joseph_Orion

Nov 9, 2001
    Exactly guys, you have to snipe or be sniped for the stuff that you want. If there were no snipers, i'd be happy just putting a bid on something and letting the time die down and win. But no more...people want to snipe, and so i snipe. I like Sniper duels, but I only like them if i lose. Because I don't want to be the one that wins paying too much. :(

12. arrowheadpodracer

arrowheadpodracer Jedi Master star 5

Apr 9, 2002
    i spend LOTS of money on SW online & off, I bought all three of those items & i paid full price. i know there are better deals out there alot of the time, but i dont have alot of time or patience to comparison shop-so i think of it as "paying for piece of mind"
    & my mind costs a fortune.

take the deals!!!!!

13. Clockwork

Apr 12, 2002
    "feel free to make fun of me or pokemon or both!!" - Joseph_Orion

My girlfriend and I played Pokemon a lot when it first came out. I'd like to be able to say it was just because I was selling it in my store and I wanted to be familiar with what I was selling, but the truth is we started playing it about six months before I even opened the store!

14. Joseph_Orion

Nov 9, 2001
    I never wanted to play it. But I tried getting David into LOTR but it was too confusing for him so he goes out and buys a theme deck. I thought he was joking but i decided to get one too to play with him and now we have a bunch of theme decks and play every week. We both agree that it's a pretty fun game if you can get over the fact that it's POKEMON!! But i'm gonna push this new CCG because

1. it's easy
    2. you don't have to have 30 rares to make a good deck

15. Jedi_Nova

Nov 11, 2001
    Yea I am still glad I won the Boba Fett figure. I have never seen in real life a Collection 1 Green Card version and this is the first I have seen one on e-Bay. I suffer from being a completist. So I limit myself to only the Imperials, plus Boba Fett and Jango so I can "afford" it

16. Joseph_Orion

Nov 9, 2001
    what are the RED carded ones called? Because i have a Lando one, he looks funny like he's on steroids or something

17. Clockwork

Apr 12, 2002
    When they first started releasing the new figures they decided to make them all look like weightlifters for some reason. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the designers thought they had to make all the characters look "dynamic" so kids would want to play with them. What a load of nonsense. Luckily they came to their senses pretty soon and started making the figures actually look like the characters.

Has anyone seen the Jango Fett figure yet (I haven't). Is it a new figure or did they just re-paint the Boba Fett figure?

18. Joseph_Orion

Nov 9, 2001
    it's way cooler, it has backpack with sounds, and removable armor. Looks great. The other one has a removeable helmet. And the preview figure looks like bantha poodoo

19. Jedi_Nova

Nov 11, 2001
    The red carded ones are simply red carded. And the one you have was pretty hard to come by when it first come out, now they are a bit more common.

Heres where the fun starts when you have to have all the carded versions, this is the 95 POTF Darth Vader keep in mind the figure is EXACTLY the same!

red card long saber
    red card long tray short saber
    red card short saber
    colledction 1 green card short saber
    collection 3 green card short saber
    collection 3 freeze frame short saber

then you get into the longer short sabers and the even shorter short saber and then you take some Advil and realize that you have to stop at some point!

20. chunk_the_jawa

Feb 8, 2002
    the preview figure is good looking and not just a repaint.
    you can pick them up at any store .

21. Clockwork

Apr 12, 2002
    I'll have to see if I can find one. I don't sell action figures at my store, so I actually have to GO OUT if I want to find any.

You know, I have one of the long saber Darth Vader figures. I took it out of the package and played with it. Was that wrong?

22. Joseph_Orion

Nov 9, 2001
    no way, I started buying Transformers and playing with them... but I kept a few in the boxes. play play play! lol

23. Jedi_Nova

Nov 11, 2001
    Nah, its never wrong to actually play with a toy! Depening on where ya go and how proud they are of it you can get one from $10 to $50.

Those are the only figres I have that fall outside of the "Imperials only" rule. I have a long saber Obi-Wan, and the Long saber versions of Luke, and the long tray short saber Luke X-Wing and Luke Dagobah

24. chunk_the_jawa

Feb 8, 2002
    I look at it as if you want to open and play with them go for it , if you like to just look at it thats fine too . there is no right or wrong to collecting.

25. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    some guy from germany wanted me to mail him CASH for some boots...yeah right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.