main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga People Who Accepted the 6-Film Tragedy Of Darth Vader Saga - What Do You Make Of This?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn, Oct 31, 2012.

1. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Well, your guess might be correct. But unless it actually relates to the story in 1-6 (if it revolves around a new Skywalker), these new movies will be additional. What they should probably do is make another set of 6 movies, maybe even about a mother and daughter.

2. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Considering theyre calling it the Episode's 7,8,9 I think that answers it.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  3. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Some people argue that Empire and Jedi shouldn't be considered Lucas films, so of course it's going to be debated how exactly to view the place of films that Lucas has nothing to do with other than a ceremonial credit. Message board rules can't dictate personal interpretations.

The Tragedy of Darth Vader will live on, as will the Star Wars trilogy, the Clone Wars multimedia campaign, etc.

4. Moorplant

Moorplant Jedi Master

Feb 26, 2004
    As it eventually became the story of Darth Vader as much as Luke and the Rebellion, so it might become something else just as interesting in addition. I often thought the dialogue in the prequels was off, but I love the basic themes. My friends and I saw TMP 3D for the first time since we were all kids and ended up having a massive "OMG Palpatine completely wins and carries on winning until ANH!" Obvious for most fans then and for us now but it wasn't went TPM came out and we were 10, so yes I love "The Tradgedy of Darth Vader". So if they come up with a compelling continuation of the Skywalker Family Saga or another equally interesting off shoot I'll accept is as part of a growing, changing saga.

There are plenty of book and TV series that start off being about one character but end up about someone totally different,either because they went on for so long or found other characters more interesting.

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I like the tragedy of Darth Vader but I am ready for Episodes 7-9. Maybe the next set of movies will be about Ben, Anakin, Jaina and Jacen? The next 6 movies will be their saga. Luke, Han and Leia, Chewie, Lando, C-3PO and R2-D2 will link the OT with the ST.

6. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    I'll admit, I'm not all that interested in Episode VII. I am cautiously optimistic that it will be good, though, and I'll probably check it when it's released in 2015.

I just have the sad feeling that the PT is going to be shunted off to the side which I find depressing (although I know that not everyone shares this sentiment). I just wished the PT didn't get hated on so much and sometimes it feels like it's never going to end. I'm not asking that people like the films, but I do wish there wasn't so much vitriol. Oh well.

7. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I think at most there should be one more trilogy, and then the film series should end. This whole idea of endlessly releasing another film once every 2-3 years bugs the crap out of me.

8. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Why? It makes perfect sense for there to be 12-13 episodes. Just like the old adventure serials of the 30s and 40s.

9. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    As long as they are George's stories and not fan fiction that's what matters to me. I'm interested in seeing what he intended for 7-9 and even 10-12 as a first generation Star Wars fan finding out about these was pretty much the holy grail.

10. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    To answer the question of this thread:

This does not interfere with "Star Wars The Complete Saga by George Lucas". It does not interfere with "The Tragedy of Darth Vader".

It is ok because at the end of the day we know that no matter what happens with the ST (Sequel Trilogy) in the future George Lucas's Star Wars Saga will go down in history for generations to come.

The important point to be remembered here above all else is that There is no longer any PT vs. OT.

Lucas finally eliminated that with this move. Instead now it is going to be:

OS (Original Saga) vs. ST (sequel trilogy).

Now its the ST that will be constantly judged against the OS (Original Saga).

If anything this finally, finally solidify's what Lucas has been saying for years now. That the Star Wars Saga belongs to him and not anyone else. So now the fans can spend all their time and energy getting mad at the ST and try to take collective ownership over the ST which doesn't belong to Lucas as much as his Saga that he told does. Its Disneys problem to try and please these people now.

And 50 years from now after Disney has had its trys the thing that will be remembered as the "True Saga" will be the Original Saga that was created and told by a man called George Lucas.

Brilliant move by Lucas.[face_coffee]

11. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm just amazed that after all this time, people are still shocked that Lucas has once again changed his mind on something. Lucas changes his, "vision," more times than changes his clothes that it can hardly be called that. Whims seems more suited to what Lucas does. The Tragedy of Darth Vader nonsense is just that. This latest move has further proven this to me.

As I said, I look forward to more Star Wars from a film maker who actually knows what he's doing and what's best for Star Wars. Haven't had that in a long time.

yankee8255 and TOSCHESTATION like this.
  12. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I look forward to the buildup for Episode XI, when a significant portion of online fans spend the majority of their posts lamenting the passing of the good old days of the Clone Wars cartoon, when Star Wars actually meant something.

13. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    yea right whatever...you cant change the rules. You dont call any shots here.

14. sinkie

sinkie Jedi Padawan star 1

May 27, 2004

Though this is true in a world where one is asked their opinion on a dichotomous relationship (Do you prefer the films George Lucas made or those that were made after he sold the franchise?"), those who wish to reflect more subtly on the entire spectrum of work out there bearing the Star Wars logo will find plenty of room to come up with much more complex and interesting stances. I for one do see a slight unification of the OT and PT under a new banner but as one who grew up when there was only the OT, I still clearly see the phases that the franchise went through and only really appreciate the first 6 year phase (ANH to ROTJ) myself. The PT was a stepping stone toward the new version that exists now (no judgement intended, simply an observation that the PT changed the SW I knew to something else, something not the same even if one just wants to define this as quantitative, both in the number of films, the number of details revealed, the amount of Lucas-made material with which to expand that universe). I think the stages, from his days trying to get funding for the 1977 film, through to selling it Disney will not be lost on historians or even fans down the road who wish to explore Star Wars in all of its unique evolution and history. For those that just want to scream at each other, it probably will get broken into the OT/PT versus Disney eras. I'm not sure this is at all what Lucas had in mind, though I am sure that, for his own personal satisfaction, knowing he'd told the entire Anakin-to-Vader-to-Anakin story he came up with over a period of 20 years or so leaves him feeling finished to some extent.

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  15. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I see very little story they could tell if they chose to involve the OT characters, which would involve the unification of the New Republic and the old Empire and the final end of that conflict, but that's just the obvious that they could do. There could be some extremely clever way to connect these next episodes to the old and then transition to the new. The more I think of the possibilities, the more excited I get, but I remain cautious because of how easily they could mess it up. Right now, it would be best to do another saga VII-XII that involved a completely new story (all the while connecting in some way with the old)

16. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Re-watch that video with him and Kennedy talking to Lynne Hale....he specifically says he's handed over the treatments to the sequels AND other stories to Kathy.

No folks, there is more SW "story created by George Lucas" yet to come.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  17. mandragora

mandragora Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2005
    As long as they don't somehow revive Darth Vader, come up with any Anakin oder Vader clones or do some god awful time-travel story to include Anakin in one way or another I see no reason why the new movies should interfere with the Vader saga. As for the new films, I'm less concerned knowing that Lucas has written the treatments, which - provided they stick to them - should preclude the above mentioned stupidities.

18. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    They haven't said Lucas has written the treatments... they've said that Lucas has passed the material he has to Kathleen Kennedy....

That material isn't a proper treatment for a new film, as they are figuring out what the story will be.... I doubt that material even exists. it's a way of justifying the new movie.

19. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

I have no feelings about the matter. Mind you, I am still happy with the six-movie saga. If the next three fit the saga well, okay. I could not have cared less whether they had ended the saga with six movie or added another three, following the events of ROTJ. My only fear is that Disney will continue to churn out SW movies, regardless of whether the story needs to continue or not.

You mean . . . as they have done with the Darth Maul character in the CLONE WARS series?

20. mandragora

mandragora Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2005
    No, I don't mean "as they have done with the Darth Maul character". The thread title clearly says "THE DARTH VADER SAGA". I don't recall the Star Wars movies or the Clone Wars series being advertised as "the Darth Maul Saga".

21. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Seems like fans are fighting again...Disney fans wanting the Saga to be extented with these new movies, and Fox\OT\PT not wanting anymore tarnishment. Adding more movies to the saga could lead the further changes that many people already complain about.

22. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    I highly doubt it. I highly doubt those treatments even exist (a few years ago, Lucas speciffically said that there were no other stories). And in any case, it would be just a bunch of notes, and he won't be involved in the creation of the scripts. He's retired, he's a "creative consultant" now, which is an honorific title basically.

23. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    So what will happen to this forum now?? will be forced to now talk about these new movie are the just the 6 we have always had?

24. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Well, there's an Episode 7 forum now, heaps of the speculation threads on it in this one have been locked, I imagine virtually all discussion will be pushed over there.

Given that Episode 7 doesn't actually exist yet, I'd like to think the Saga forum will be about the 6 films that do, although it'd be good to still keep discussion regarding the 'original' Eps VII-IX & beyond in this forum.

Regarding the thread topic - it's early days yet, we still don't know 100% just how the new films will relate to the SW Saga anyway.

25. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    I kind of feel the same way. I know fans always wanted sequels more than prequels, but all the loose ends are tied up in ROTJ. Also, I love the original cast as much as anyone, but they're a tad too old now to carry the action oriented movies now. So if fans expect another Luke-Han-Leia centered trilogy, they'll be disappointed. Not to mention, many of the important supporting characters are gone and we'll need new villains to match Vader and Emperor - no small task.

I know Lucas loves prequels but I have a feeling that Lucasfilm already treats them like a red haired stepchild. On the other hand, if they want to resurrect the old jedi/sith rivalry or use any of the other themes from the prequels, they'll be harder to ignore.

Samnz likes this.