main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga People Who Accepted the 6-Film Tragedy Of Darth Vader Saga - What Do You Make Of This?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn, Oct 31, 2012.

1. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Well, we all knew that the OT's "original vision" was mostly "Luke defeats his father's enemy and blows up the space station".

2. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Didn't the EU novels focus on this?

3. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    the Palpatine story is done. Disney will make new movies.

4. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Yea its all good my family will only see the Fox-Palpatine movies. Those 6 films feature Lucas, Williams, Burtt, Kenny Baker, Tony Daniels, Palpatine.The Fox-Palpatine saga have their own myth & Legacy. Disney will have their own group of films.

5. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    Why is Star Wars SW called "THE TRAGEDY OF DARTH VADER"?????????

6. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Change must be accepted or it will destroy us. That is one of the lessons taught by these movies. I accepted what GL said about the Anakin saga, but I also accept that things will now change with the ST.
    It also feels right in hindsight, since the OT's focus was primarily on Luke, Leia and Han and Anakin wasn't really pushed to the forefront until ROTJ. Also, with an ST on the way, the focus on Han in the OT should seem much more relevant to the big picture, since he and Leia will probably have kids/a kid who will carry on the Skywalker legacy. In a way, Han is also a Skywalker. The ST will likely make that clear.
    The Saga is about more than Anakin and with this new trilogy, everything should make more sense. The big picture should seem more balanced.

"It will bring balance"
    /LM

7. TOSCHESTATION

TOSCHESTATION Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    And even then , he wasn't really at 'the forefront' - as you put it. His (Anakin's) redemption had more to do with resolving Luke's character arc than existing for it's own sake. It was really with the PT that Anakin was 'pushed to the forefront' of the story.*

*even to the point of ROTS , where his story 'crowded-out' some of the other sub-plots

Star Wars "evolution" - it evolves

8. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    13hrs is enough & ill talk with my feet & wallet. The film story ends with the death of Palpatine & Anakin on the Deathstar II. Ill only support and patron just that storyline anything else is just EU & I'm not in EU anyway. Ill have to get the current Saga books, video games & merch that focus on 1-6 as one contained package. I have the 10 disk dvd set & will eventually get the 9 disc Blu Ray set. Anything outside of those perimeters is a no go.

9. TOSCHESTATION

Jan 17, 2003
    one question: who is 'ill'?

10. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    But it's not THAT easy to change the nature of a story. It's true that the PT changed the Saga, but that was a very specific case: the OT was made up on the fly, without a real plan, and therefore, the final chapter (episode VI) didn't entirely correspond with the story presented in the first movie, as it dealt with a new master-villain (Palpatine) and a new hero (Vader-Anakin), who saves the day in the climax of the film. That change of focus allowed the prequels to change the meaning of the Saga, by making Anakin and Palpatine the main focus of the new trilogy, allowing those storylines to get resolved in episode VI.

I fail to see how they can extend the Saga creating a cohesive story, since the main story-arcs have been already resolved.
    Just an easy question: who will be the bad guy? If it's Palpatine resurrected, that's cheating (NOTHING in episode VI suggests that he isn't entirely dead). If it's someone else it's not the story that began in episode I.

kainee likes this.
  11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    There was a big cloud of blue fire when Palpatine died, that wasn't there when Dooku did.

12. TOSCHESTATION

Jan 17, 2003
    "New" villain: Dooku: the Head-less Speeder-man

or, "Dooku wasn't a 'real' Sith" :rolleyes: You just know that the EU will try to cook-up something so half-baked.

13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I was thinking it could have been justified as Palpatine's spirit leaving his body.

Mind you, other EU has had characters produce that "cloud of blue fire" on death without them coming back. In one case (Shaak Ti in The Force Unleashed) a light side Jedi.

14. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Also married his "sister" (who wasn't his sister at the time).

15. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    It's never been clear exactly who would have eventually gotten the girl in earlier visions, I'm inclined to think Han was always going to win out:

- George Lucas to Alan Dean Foster, Dec 29, 1975

So yes, a bit of romance between Luke & Leia at some point, but if "Han is Clarke Gable", then that would suggest he's the one who ends up with Leia (although I can't see the saga ending with him telling her to @#$% off).

16. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    [face_thinking] What exactly does this mean, if not Luke's father?

17. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    The man who killed Luke's father (which at that stage wasn't going to be revealed in the first film).

18. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
  19. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    In my Sequel Trilogy, which I was planning on having published online in comic form but is now scrapped, the story deals with the aftermath of the conflict with Palpatine. EpVII focuses on rounding up the last remnants of the old Empire and bringing its Governors to justice. During that episode, the seeds for a new war are planted, as the general public are made aware of Darth Vader's true identity and the fact that he and the Emperor were members of a cult that was once founded by a renegade Jedi. This effectively creates mistrust towards the Jedi in general and the Skywalkers in particular.
    In the midst of all this lies the issue of the chosen one, whose journey is in actuality not over. Bringing balance to the Force was just the beginning - a necessity for Anakin to find balance within himself. The Galactic Civilization is about to come to an end and he is the only one who can save the citizens.
    So you see, Palpatine was never the real issue at all. He was just a great obstacle - and he continues to be an obstacle, even after his death. In this trilogy, there are no true villains, only citizens who are afraid of history repeating itself.

In MY trilogy, that is - but I think it's a suggestion worth considering.

"This is just the beginning!"
    /LM

-NaTaLie- likes this.
  20. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    Continuing an off topic from earlier: I would second those who put forward the composer from Clone Wars as an acceptable substitute for Williams. See especially his score for "Ambush" (S1 Ep1).

Alternately the composer for the Old Republic trailers would work well (yes, he simply lifts a lot of Williams cues, but he also scored some great stuff of his own for the three trailers that sounded just like Williams).

On topic: Originally, the series was billed as "The Adventures of Luke Skywalker".

21. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

I'm confused. How is it that Han is a "Skywalker"? And why should the story only focus on the children he has with Leia?

22. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Ignore it. That's just Lucas' revisionist nonsense. Star Wars is not (nor was it ever) The Tragedy of Darth Vader. It's time to get over it.

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  23. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Right. Because the guy creating it has no say in what it is. o_O

24. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    When it comes to Lucas' poorly thought out, ineffectual attempts at revisionism? Yeah, pretty much.

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  25. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Right. You have fun with that. :p