main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

People Who Are Screwing Up America: Scott Harshbarger/Myron Magnet/Peter Singer/Marvin Olasky

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Rogue1-and-a-half, Aug 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dizfactor

dizfactor Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 12, 2002
    As someone who was involved in the relief effort myself, I have to say that a lot of that perception may have something to do with the nature of the aid different types of organizations can provide. I was with the Red Cross, and while we provided some care on the level of the individual family (which was what I did), most of our efforts were focused on a larger scale than that, because we had an infrastructure which could deal with tasks like that (sort of). We coordinated our efforts with local community organizations, which were better suited to more long-term, one-on-one aid relationships with people in their community because they know them, they have established relationships, etc. Conversely, local community organizations acting individually can't handle the larger scale logistical issues that much larger organizations can. Each does something the other can't, or at least can't do well.

The fact that people feel like they got more aid from their local church then they did from secular organizations like the Red Cross is largely a result of the fact that they're more likely to see aid from local community organizations up close, and basically the only local community organizations of consequence in Louisiana and Mississippi are religious.

2. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Yeah that was what I was getting at. Government organizations especially don't foucs as much on the individual. From what I saw the religious organizations seemed more caring to the indivdual than government groups. I lived in the lower portion of Mississippi and most of the FEMA people were down in New Orleans and the coast. The religious groups were really the ones helping people there from what I saw.

Goverment, secular, and religious charities are all great, I just trust the religious groups more.

And thanks for helping out in the relief effort dizfator.:)

3. Espaldapalabras

Espaldapalabras Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2005
    *gasp* Did diz just unconsciously recognize that religious organizations can provide real benefits to society??? ;)

4. Faces of Silas

Faces of Silas Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 11, 1999
    Accurate or inaccurate with his individual assessments, agree or disagree, Goldberg was only asking one thing at the end of the day. To that end, I am grateful for his contribution. For the record, I did not find any serious flaws with ?Screwing?s? contents.

It is strongly urged that one examine where we were as a people (specifically, the heritage of American citizens) and where the perceived, projected direction is. If you are unsatisfied with the present state of affairs and the resulting legacy, one has the duty and the power to initiate change (on a personal level and then within your sphere of influence). Do not sit idly by and accept the ?unacceptable.?

You have a voice. Used wisely, it will ultimately be heard and it will be effective.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.