main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

People Who Like Zekk _____ Coalition

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by JediFreac, Apr 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    But see, that's the thing: I don't think he got the shaft. You're more than entitled to the opinion that he did, but I'm equally entitled to the opinion that he didn't. The thread title isn't People Who Like Only YJK!Zekk. :p I like Zekk quite a lot in LotF, as well. I didn't care for him as much in DN, but then I didn't like anyone but Jacen and Jag much in DN, though I really liked the books overall. Some of Zekk's back-and-forth with Jaina, with Jag, and with both was fantastic, and some of the directions his character went I positively loved.

His end was the only thing that annoyed me. I thought his death in that context would have possibly been a very cool thing and added a good deal more gravitas to the conclusion. Leaving it hanging was honestly the thing that annoyed me most in the book.

2. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Keralys...

He was ignored for the first half of the NJO while a pale imitation of him showed up and romanced Jaina. When he did show up, he quickly abandoned Jaina when she needed him, contrary to what YJK-Zekk would've done. He then becomes a bughugger, gets dissed by Han a bit and then 'vanishes' to make room for J/J. I'm sorry, but I cannot see anything other than him getting the shaft there.

3. Neo-Paladin

Neo-Paladin Jedi Master star 4

Dec 10, 2004
    So, you're a fan of Zekk, but you wish he was dead? :p
    Kidding.

As you say, there is space for a multiplicity of opinion. For myself, there are things I like about the YJK, and things I like about the NJO. In regards to Zekk, I agree with Rose_Skywalker, they probably didn't know what to do with the character in NJO. It doesn't strike me as an intentional slight (K.J. Anderson killed my parents, so I'll ignore Zekk!), but an irksome an oversight. An organic plot grows out of the situation, which includes the characters relationships. As established, the characters had a relationship that seemed to be drastically and suddenly changed when we jumped into the NJO. Yes it only right to include characters its makes sense to include, but considering the established relationships, it doesn't strike me as terribly sensible to fail to include characters that seem like they should be there.

Also, I really hate it when characters are killed to add gravitas. If you want a scene with gravity, write a dramatic scene. Killing a character to achieve that drama seems cheap. Chewbacca didn't need to die, and I don't see that Zekk does either. Angst for its own sake is tiresome to me. When Obi-Wan died it accomplished something. I really wish, in Star Wars at least, character death could be constrained to when the death accomplishes something vital to the arc.

4. Darth_Sabith

Darth_Sabith Jedi Master star 4

Oct 17, 2006
    Alright it's been a while but this is what I would like to see from Zekk.

A) He's still alive and kicking
    B) He grows more powerful and more connected to the force
    C) Either he establishes a new Jedi Acadamy on the world he crashed on or he becomes a hermit like Yoda had been.

I would love to have seen Zekk step away from the jedi order and establish a order of Light or some such.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    "Also that spring, Elaine Cunningham (The New Jedi Order: <I>Dark Journey</i>) returns to the <I>Star Wars</i> galaxy with <I>Blood Oath</i>, a standalone paperback featuring Zekk that is set soon after the events of the Legacy of the Force series. "

Bah!

Though you folks must be happy.

6. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Whoa, seriously?

7. Emerald_Lady

Emerald_Lady Jedi Master star 3

Dec 18, 2006
    Seriously. Check it out. This is probably the most recognition Zekk's ever gotten as an individual character. :D

8. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    *Clicks*

Wow...

Heh, no body=a chance. And he's got that chance!

I won't buy it, natch, but still...

Can he snap Jag's neck, please? And can he bring Lusa along with him?

9. SoloFel_RebelGirl

SoloFel_RebelGirl Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 26, 2005
    Why must it be Jag v. Zekk? :( Really, I think they could be an awesome team. They deserve to be more than two sides of a triangle.

Hey, it's about time Zekk got some recognition. I hope this book will be kind to him. It's strange to think of him as an individual character out of KJA's books, sadly.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, somebody must have listened. :p

11. jedi_of_ennth

jedi_of_ennth Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 1, 2005
    OMG ZEKK GETS A BOOK! THIS IS TRULY THE HIGHLIGHT OF MY LIFE AS A STAR WARS FAN. (Even better than taking a picture of my Quinlan Vos action figure in front of the Eiffel Tower.)

FLAIL WITH ME, FELLOW ZEKK FANS?

12. MarasFire

MarasFire Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2007
    Whoa, a standalone for Zekk? That was not expected. I'm not flailing, but it is exciting. I guess this is the novel where he'll finally get over Jaina and rediscover his independent side.

Blood Oath... [face_thinking] At least it's not as condemning a title as Dark Journey. I'm thinking that they're setting him up to establish the Imperial Knights, not a new theory I know, especially with Oath, Jag/Jaina being pretty much a done deal, and Jag already being in control of the Moff Council.

13. SoloFel_RebelGirl

Nov 26, 2005
    I would love for Zekk to establish the Imperial Knights. Love it love it love it.
    I don't think it's going to happen, though. It seems far more likely that he will stand against any new Empire being created, even if Jaina is involved or if the Jedi are OK with it. Then I think he'd go all rogue Jedi on us. Which could be neat, admittedly. :p

14. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    *flails*

I must say, this sounds like it could be great. Although I wasn't impressed with DJ...I could see this book being a big pile of emo. Also, I really hope it ditches the Jaina/Zekk/Jag triangle thing -- just give Zekk something new to do completely unrelated to Jaina or Jag.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    One of the things somebody pointed out about DJ is that it was stuck in the middle of a series--and especially between the far more significant events of SbS and Traitor. Basically, DJ simply couldn't win.

This time there isn't a big long series in the way. I also see it as the final resolution of J/J/Z, especially since they've given it its own book so a shifting multi-author series can't muddle things up.

16. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    ...And let's face it, Zekk is a more interesting character than Jaina and/or Jag, so this has a lot of potential. I think if the book had been J/J, a lot of people, except die hard fans of the couple, would have passed it over.

17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Just like people passed over COPL, I'm sure. :p

18. iamobiwan1970

iamobiwan1970 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 23, 2005
    OMG! A STAND ALONE NOVEL FOCUSING ON ZEKK! I can't even believe it! I do hope that it is him staying in the light and forming the IK. It just works in my little universe. But wow! This is the coolest thing...I think ever!

:D

19. SoloFel_RebelGirl

Nov 26, 2005
    Hey, more Zekk art. That'll be good. He'll be...how old in this novel? It feels like his life has been wasted away... :(

And let's face it, Zekk is a more interesting character than Jaina and/or Jag

[face_frustrated]

20. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    So I take it the Zekk fans around here don't like Jag, huh? :p
    I'm really exited about this book.

Zekk is a great character and I think it's sad he's been neglected this long.
    I hope Elaine Cunningham gives him some happy moments.
    He sure as heck deserves them.

21. SoloFel_RebelGirl

Nov 26, 2005
    So I take it the Zekk fans around here don't like Jag, huh?

You take correctly. :p

He sure as heck deserves them.

QFT, with all the abuse his character has had to put up with. :rolleyes:

22. Neo-Paladin

Dec 10, 2004
    Well, just because he's a Johnny-come-lately doesn't mean I can't like him.
    To be fair, a few of us have outright antipathy (hi Jon),
    some of us just can't be forced to care (me!),
    others actually like the little Imp. ;)
    Regardless, welcome to the PWLZ_C Ceillean.

I'm excited, but somewhat cautious. I didn't think Zekk's motivations were well explained in DJ and I find angst tedious, but perhaps, if Zekk is the main protagonist he'll be fully fleshed out and the story doesn't necessarily have to be woe from cover to cover. I don't expect it will be what I want it to be, but it could still be pretty awesome. So, until I have reason to do other wise, *flail*.

23. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    LOL, hi Paladin.

Yes, Ceillean. I hate Jag. I find him to be a watered-down, unnecessary character that, unlike Zekk, really can't exist without Jaina too well. I wish I could erase him and the entire post-YJK series from humanity's collective consciousness. :)

And that's what I think of him when I'm being generous, too.

Oh, and welcome to the Coalition. [:D]

24. Neo-Paladin

Dec 10, 2004
    Now see, Jon, I can't summon the vitriol that you seem to have an endless supply of.

An interesting question to examine (between flailing) is how do people predict Zekk will act sans Jaina? More proactive or reactive? While I wouldn't say Zekk was tagging along, she was the major reference point in Zekk's sky as he plotted his course. Will he be in a hurry to get back to Jaina? Will he obsess about her while they are apart? Supposing he faces a conflict that only he can resolve, will he be single minded about it, or will we see philosophical musings also?

25. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    LOL, that's cool. The YJK was a small but measurable part of me making it through the 90's alive, so the post-YJk stuff and what it did to the characters... I think you can understand a little better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.