People Who Like Zekk _____ Coalition

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by JediFreac, Apr 5, 2003.

Moderators: Bardan_Jusik, Sinrebirth
  1. DarthIktomi Jedi Master

star 4
    Had more history with Jaina than the puppet Emperor.
  2. Neo-Paladin Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, this way we can't complain about bad characterization in Blood Oath.
    OK, less of a silver lining, and more of a tin lining, but it's something.

So, any thoughts on where Zekk should go from here?
  3. RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost

star 7
    Like I said, kill Jaina and Jag for the emotional hell they've put him through the past fifteen years or so.
  4. Emerald_Lady Jedi Knight

star 3
    I'd really like to see him do something suited to his skills that would give him a characterization apart from Jaina. We know he worked with SELCORE during the NJO, so perhaps something like that, or something that would use his gift for finding things. He could also get more involved with the Jedi Order. He'd make a very good Master for someone.
  5. Furyan_Jedi_13 Jedi Master

star 3
    I am sad... yet I also knew this was coming. *Sigh* Why, Del Rey? What did Zekk do to you?

Had more history with Jaina than the puppet Emperor.

(sigh) I wish I could say that I was surprised, I really do. But we all know that is unlikely. Del Rey must have a severe lack of brain cells.

Oh, well.

(uncaps a bottle of alcohol, then raises it in toast.)

To extraordinarily poor decisions on Del Rey's part. May they burn in hell for all eternity for it.
  6. Neo-Paladin Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, it's not hard to admit that, as fandom goes, Zekk is a minority. If the last name doesn't move books, it probably won't go to print. It seems like they're going to focus on wringing every cent out of the Star Wars fans while they can, as opposed focusing on telling the mythic stories that are the core of what Star Wars is. It's too bad. I still fondly recall the X-wing series as one of the best, even though the 'headliner' characters were cameos at best. There's so much fertile ground in the GFFA, it's a shame to see it ignored by everyone but motivated fanfic writers and readers.

So, will they keep Zekk's future unresolved, or will he show up in a book down the line?
  7. jedi_of_ennth Force Ghost

star 4
    I think Zekk will show up in FotJ somewhere along the line. Throughout the Blood Oath debacle, Sue Rostoni has spoken as if Zekk is definitely going to factor into the current series at some point. With Denning writing two more books in FotJ, I'm sure we'll hear from Zekk again, and I'm hoping that the surprisingly positive fan response to Blood Oath will keep the Powers That Be open to the possibility of a Zekk standalone sometime in the future.
  8. padme46 Jedi Padawan

May I join? I've been a Zekk fan since the first time I read my first JJK book "Empore plages" about 2 months ago.
  9. Neo-Paladin Force Ghost

star 4
    Welcome to the party!
  10. RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost

star 7
    Welcome, padme46. :)

Anyone else wonder if Zekk knew what his life would be like with Jaina... he'd say, "Kriff this shavit!" and get as far away from her as possible?
  11. Darth_Sabith Jedi Master

star 4
    I think if he knew Zek would have remained the "Darkest Knight"....
  12. Furyan_Jedi_13 Jedi Master

star 3
    Anyone else wonder if Zekk knew what his life would be like with Jaina... he'd say, "Kriff this shavit!" and get as far away from her as possible?

Meh, that's one possibility, I guess. On the other hand, he could have helped ground her so that she WOULDN'T turn out as a total b!tch. But I guess we'll never know, since the authors seem to have gone completely out of their way to screw up not just Zekk and Jaina, but every single worthwhile character from the EU in general!

I know it sounds crazy, but it is my fondest hope that one day someone does to the EU what JJ Abrams did with Star Trek: create a new alternate timeline. I am not a religious person, and yet I find myself praying every day for this to happen. Because, let's face it, the current EU involving NJO, DN, LOTF & FOTJ is NOT what we all had in mind, is it?
  13. Neo-Paladin Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, if he had known he could have avoided the Shadow Academy altogether, and that would have put a very different spin on his and Jaina's friendship. Setting that aside, I'm still not sure how far away he would stay from Jaina. Someone who would put away their weapon in the face of danger to redeem a friend's life is worth knowing. Knowing that person would become incapable of the same act later in life is kind of heart breaking.
  14. RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost

star 7

Not to mention that person she killed... was her twin brother.

Have I mentioned how much I LOATHE the post-YJK EU? have I?
  15. chaotic-force Jedi Knight

star 1
    I have to admit that the modern EU has seriously damaged many of the EU characters I grew up with. I tend to think that Zekk has actually become a better character due to his most recent EU depiction.

The EU has butchered the characterization of a lot of my favorite characters. Jaina has become less and less a Jedi and more a violent soldier suffering from PTSD. Jacen was also ruined beyond repair with LoTF. Zekk however, I think has walked away with a fairly consistent identity that actually gives me hope for whatever story he eventually appears in.

Zekk, as I probably mentioned years ago, seems to be written simply as a Good Person, surround by Great Beings. Over the course of LoTF Zekk?s actions are more associated with the protection of life then any other character. In Tempest two of his biggest moments where he risks his life to save trapped animals from being bombed to death, and when he moves to subdue Ben before he and Jaina can fight on the Falcon. Again in Inferno where Jaina and Jag both run through sniper fire as Jedi are killed or wounded, Zekk is mentioned saving the life of a youngling who was being held hostage, without killing the man who was threatening the child as well. Lastly, there is the scene if Fury. Yes he touches the dark side but not for his own gain, he does it to protect the life of his partner and friends.

What is frustrating about Zekk in the EU is not his characterization, but the lack or reaction anyone ever gives to him. Zekk is one of the only jedi from YJK who has become a real Jedi IMO. Jaina has become the ?Sword? which basically makes her the blunt instrument of the Jedi. Jacen got lost in existentialism about the force and lost respect for the value of individual?s lives. Zekk seems to walk that line between those two extremes. He has become more a protector then a soldier or would be savior like the Solo Twins.

If DelRay would just write him back into the freaking books and let him actually talk for a few pages without Jaina in the room I think most of us would be pretty happy with almost any story they had for him.
  16. Neo-Paladin Force Ghost

star 4
    You're probably right c-f. Zekk is more of a paragon than the other heroes of the EU, but it's not exactly as if that is going all that great for him. Does anyone acknowledge it? Does walking the hard path net him any more success than his fellows? In the mindset of Star Wars as Myth, does the story reflect the morality of Myth - where goodness and valor is lauded for its own sake? Purity is a mercurial thing in any society, but Zekk has schooled himself to be pure of action, which should be a boon as well as a burden.

I'm not looking for a "you're so awesome Zekk!" party, but I would expect to see him rising to leadership because of his adherence to a higher code.
  17. Cushing's Admirer Chosen One

star 6
    I absolutely adored Zekk in the YJK, but have lost track of his development since due to being disappointed in the 'adult novels' for a long time. Anyone willing to catch me up?
  18. Emerald_Lady Jedi Knight

star 3
  19. Cushing's Admirer Chosen One

star 6
  20. Sith-Spitter01 Jedi Knight

star 3
    I heard Zekk is supposed to appear in the Fate of the Jedi series, anybody got any information that.

I agree with the user up above, I think Zekk is one of the few characters, that's close to the Solo and Skywalkers, we have seen show all the traits of true Jedi since he became one. Jaina is more focused on being a soldier, Jacen...well... you know the deal, Tenel Ka is trained in the Force but she is not really a member of the order and the same kinda goes for Leia. Luke and Zekk seem to show a lot of the character traits of a truly ascended Jedi Knight.Likely because they both went through situations that could loosely qualify as The Trials.
  21. DarthAria Jedi Youngling

I like Zekk. He is so awesome I decided he's my 7th fave character and not 10th.
  22. Adalia-Durron Former RSA/EUC Empress.

star 10
  23. jedi_of_ennth Force Ghost

star 4
    And we're alive again, Zekk fans! Let's show some love! And party or something, I don't know.

[IMG]

Starter topics:

1. Favorite Zekk moment?
    2. Favorite Zekk quote?
    3. Song that reminds you of Zekk?
    4. Reason you like Zekk?
    5. Current pop star Zekk would obsess over?
    6. Create your own, make it crazy.
  24. RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost

star 7
    Holy crap! ^:)^

Ah... Zekk in Equestria?
Moderators: Bardan_Jusik, Sinrebirth