main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST People who say TFA is non-canon...

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Vader0706, Jan 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vader0706

Vader0706 Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2017
    I hate it when I see people on forums (not here, though), who fail to accept TFA as canon, simply because they dislike it or because of the argument that it copies too much from ANH (hence simplifying it to a "rehash" and non-canon).

I love TFA and even though it borrows certain aspects from ANH, it IS canon. It continues the story from ROTJ with the original cast, as well as introducing new ones and establishing their story for the sequels.

Just wanted to share this. I find it very annoying and wanted to hear what you guys (and girls) think about it.

2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    It's a free internet, and anyone who wants to can decide what is canon to them. There's lots of EU stuff that's officially canon which I don't accept in my own personal headcanon. As long as nobody tells me I have to accept their headcanon, it's all good.

Heroic BB-8 likes this.
  3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Everyone is free to like what they want, but what is officially canon is not up to any of us. That is an LFL thing. That said, our forum policy and rules on canon are pasted below.

Because there's not much else here to discuss, in the interest of avoiding circular arguments that break our forum rules, I'm going to lock this up.

------------------

Canon - 7SA Forum Policy

We’ve updated our canon policy ("canon" = official continuity) again in light of the changes related to the new Story Group and the Star Wars canon structure. There has now been official confirmation made via an announcement on April 25th, 2014 by Lucasfilm on starwars.com (HERE).

The official Disney / Lucasfilm position on canon has changed with the announcements regarding the Story Group. Now, essentially, instead of there being multiple levels of canon (and everything having a place within one of those levels), there is just one level of canon, and things either are or aren't canon. What has now been officially confirmed is that all of the movies will be canon, and so will be the Rebels and The Clone Wars TV shows. Expanded Universe material (novels, comics, games, etc.) that will come out after this point will be canon as well, but the EU material that came out before the announcement (now called "Legends") will not be canon. However, they have stated that they will continue to use that existing EU material for ideas (places, characters, storylines, etc.).

Important - things to note regarding our canon policy and rules in the new films forums:
    - Arguments about canon in any thread are not allowed.
    - The Clone Wars and Rebels TV show discussion needs to be limited to the thread for that, and needs to tie into the ST.
    - Discussion about EU novels, games, etc. needs to be limited to the thread for that, and needs to tie into the ST.
    - There should be no expectations placed on posters in debates to be familiar with / a fan of the TV shows or novels (or any other aspect of SW), but there should also be nothing saying that only the movies count.
    - Posters should not be ridiculed for having the preferences that they have, nor should the official canon announcements be used as evidence of "victory".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.