"Perception is reality," or is it?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by JediMindTrick000, Dec 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMindTrick000 Jedi Master

star 3
    I was recently having a discussion with a coworker about Bush's choice of Head of Homeland Security (I was later proven right - haha!), and I brought up the point about perception. His choice, although having a great deal of experience, was a high school dropout. So I argued that although he may be qualified to do the job, the public may perceive him as unqualified due to being a dropout. Do you think perception should be a factor when choosing public officials, or should it be based solely on their qualifications?
  2. J-Rod Force Ghost

star 5
    . Do you think perception should be a factor when choosing public officials

Absolutely, as we shouldn't feel our representatives are somehow inferior.

I, too was right about him.
  3. Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus

star 7
    The choice of individuals to lead this country should be based entirely on the person's qualifications and ideas for the job. It's unfortunate that the lot of us can be stupid enough to let our opinions of a public official be swayed by their image. I see that as one of the most unfortunate side effects of democracy.
  4. JediTre11 Jedi Master

star 4
    Eventually it may become more than a side effect. When qualifications take a back seat to how well a cadidate is marketed, the citizens may elect a product that kills them. Market rat poison as chocolate and people will buy it and eat it.
  5. ophelia Cards Against Humanity Host. Ex-Mod

Game Host
    star 6
    Perception can come to equal reality, but smart PR workers and an individual with a charismatic personality can go a long way toward shaping that perception. There has been more than one president who repeatedly came off sounding like a dope, but who people loved because he was so "folksy." I doubt that the new Homeland Security chief (what's his name again?) Krenk? Something? :p is going to find his career seriously hurt because of his educational background. He ran the NYPD for a while, didn't he? You don't advance through police ranks without being able to study for and ace a lot of tests. The guy basically had on-the-job training, which is different from having no high school diploma and no career training at all.

Or at least that's what I'm going to tell my students when and if they find out about this guy, and start claiming that they'll all do just fine if they drop out right now. :rolleyes:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.