main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Perception of Religion in Relation to Current Events.

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by aPPmaSTer, Feb 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    What? You have a problem with male genetic material?
    I try not to disappoint. :p

Kimball Kinnison

2. Obi-Wan McCartney

Obi-Wan McCartney Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 1999

Are these kinds of comments necessary?:confused:

3. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    And here is where the Church accepts other religions from the Vatican Two documents.

3. The Church regards with esteem also the Moslems. They adore the one God, living and subsisting in Himself; merciful and all- powerful, the Creator of heaven and earth,(5) who has spoken to men; they take pains to submit wholeheartedly to even His inscrutable decrees, just as Abraham, with whom the faith of Islam takes pleasure in linking itself, submitted to God. Though they do not acknowledge Jesus as God, they revere Him as a prophet. They also honor Mary, His virgin Mother; at times they even call on her with devotion. In addition, they await the day of judgment when God will render their deserts to all those who have been raised up from the dead. Finally, they value the moral life and worship God especially through prayer, almsgiving and fasting.

Since in the course of centuries not a few quarrels and hostilities have arisen between Christians and Moslems, this sacred synod urges all to forget the past and to work sincerely for mutual understanding and to preserve as well as to promote together for the benefit of all mankind social justice and moral welfare, as well as peace and freedom.

the rest in here

4. Kimball_Kinnison

Oct 28, 2001
    You might try rereading that. It definitely does not support your claim that:
    As I said to you before:
    I even predicted the document you would try to use to support your claim, and disproved your argument from it already.

And you wonder why I have repeatedly questioned your reading ability. "Regards with esteem" is nowhere near saying "holds as equal". Not only did you not read my post where I linked you to the Vatican II documents, you then went on to use the exact argument that I refuted in that post. You grossly misinterpreted what the document said (ignoring entire sections of the document), and yet you think it "proves" your point.

As Mentor of Arisia would say, that's "loose and muddy thinking".

Kimball Kinnison

5. Obi-Wan McCartney

Aug 17, 1999
    By the same token, does it explicitly say that Christ is the only way to salvation, or that Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Budhists, Agnostics, Athiests, and every varient form of Christianity that believes something slightly different is doomed to hell?

6. Kimball_Kinnison

Oct 28, 2001
    Actually, it does. It specifically reaffims John 14:6. From the document:
    Indeed, she proclaims, and ever must proclaim Christ "the way, the truth, and the life" (John 14:6), in whom men may find the fullness of religious life, in whom God has reconciled all things to Himself.
    Add to that the remaining part of that scripture referenced:
    Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
    It's fairly clear.

The Catholic Church has long proclaimed to be God's true, universal church (the word catholic itself means "universal"). Vatican II did not change that, nor did it grant equal authority to other churches.

Kimball Kinnison

7. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    That's god for ya. "Be in my club or go to hell." Sounds like a spoiled child to me. You can definitely tell the god of the bible was influenced by Zeus.

8. Obi-Wan McCartney

Aug 17, 1999
    Wait, where does it explicitly say all non-Christians will go to hell and won't be saved?

Perhaps they may be all be saved through Christ, but where does it say one has to be a member of a particular Church or ideology to be saved?

Are you implying that the bible says on Christians will be saved, or that Catholics are saying only Catholics will be saved? Where does it say that?

Even in another thread, didn't you say Mormon's believed that even non-christians may be saved through Christ in some sort of after-life/purgatory type deal?

Alls I'm saying is that you are doing what you accuse Lord Vivec of doing. Interpreting scripture in a manner more favorable towards your position.

9. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    How does this relate to the topic?

It don't.

Yes, I'm looking at you Vivec, and you Kimball.

o_O

E_S

10. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    Well I was reading an interesting comment from an Iraq businessman, he said the main problem in Iraq for business people is not the American Army but religious divisions that threaten to rip the country apart in an all out civil war. Different factions of Muslims fighting each other, for power. The Americans just want peace so they can get out ASAP. Actually if they were smart they would stop fighting, then the Americans would leave. And then they could go at it after they were gone. The Americans don't want to leave a civil war behind, so they will stay for who knows who long. Why, religious conflict.

11. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    i'd agree... the u.s. wants out, and what's keeping the us in there is the insurgency fighting. if it wasn't for that, i'd think coallition forces might almost be out of there by now

12. Espaldapalabras

Espaldapalabras Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2005
    You have to distiguish between those of the insurgency and sectarian strife.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.