main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Perfect Dark vs. Goldeneye

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by _Xanatos_, May 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    ben_ethus brings up a very good point about saving your character stats. Just having a name there instead of "killed by player one" was awesome. One of my friends and I would constantly be trying to be the first to go up to the next level of skill. I curse you Finn007 wherever you are!!!

2. _Xanatos_

_Xanatos_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2003
    Plus in Perfect Dark they at least cuss at you and react more normally.

3. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Goldeneye is easily the best. The weapons are easier to use, there's no "blurry vision" effect, and the graphics are simply better.

4. ben_ethus

ben_ethus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

Another thing I rather enjoyed about the PD multiplayer was the ability to disarm your enemies.

In Goldeneye, once you died and respawned, you were at The Mercy of The Horde until you could pick up a halfway-decent weapon. It could be tough to get back in the game if someone (or multiple someones) was camping over an uber-powerful weapon. (Some of the folks with whom I played every once in a while even felt compelled to make up weird little rules about who you could/could not shoot while someone was being respawned... Needless to say: LAME!)

So, in PD, it was what I would call a breath of fresh air to have the ability to strip your enemy of weapons as you blow by him, instead of just smacking him around and doing very little damage while he put 80 bullets into your skull as you tried to run past.

*goes back and triple-checks grammar on above paragraph... thinks it makes sense*

Anyway, it was a cool idea to balance the scales of power between the "Recently Deceased" and the "To-Be-Recently Deceased."

Having said all that, Goldeneye is still the superior multiplayer game. Quite simply, it was just more fun.

Flails his arms and makes your guns fall to the floor,
    Yours Truly

5. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Well, apart from the Golden Gun, each gun regenerates in at least 2 spots on every level. You can't camp on them both!

6. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

Ah, yes, Bib... I seem to remember that now. Still, the handy dandy Disarm feature helped lessen what could be a fairly frustrating situation. (Especially if you stunk at the game. Like me. 8-} )

Apparently my memory stinks, too,
    Yours Truly

7. ThePostman

ThePostman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    ben_ethus I must say that I love your signature. Sea Lab 2021 is without a doubt the best show on television.

Both games had their ups and downs but I would have to say I liked Perfect Dark more.

8. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

Postman... Why, thank you. I'm rather fond of the show, too (obviously), though I haven't seen it in over a year since I've lacked cable since I moved to my current pad. Blah.

Back on topic, after all this talk about PD and Goldeneye, I may just have to bust out the ole N64 that's been gathering dust in the cabinet for the past two years. Maybe see how badly my already meager talents have waned. Scary thought...

Hides in the corner,
    Yours Truly

9. _Xanatos_

_Xanatos_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2003
    Let us talk about missions now.

The best mission for PD is the Chicago level for me.

The best mission for G is the Facility.

10. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Fav missions:
    Goldeneye - Facility
    Perfect Dark - Carrington Institute

HARDEST missions:
    Goldeneye - Train
    Perfect Dark - (Forget what its called) on the Skedar ship, start with a knife

11. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    I've never really played the PerfectDark missions, but my favorite Goldeneye mission is the Facility. The hardest is either the Train or Aztec.

12. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    this is a hard call, as i traditionally just lump the two together, given that they were from the same team, and shared the same engine.......
    i'd go goldeneye because it was the first fps i got into, and i had more MP challenge with it, although that was more because of my friends than the game itself.....and those time trials were great, something nice about having every cheat in the game, and having earned them all

i'd go PD because it took goldeneye and made it so much better, the weapons, the maps, the customisation---i loved being able to change the placement of weapons......and the cloaking device and boost were great.......that being said i didn't enjoy MP as much as i did with PM, cos my friends were not as good as me, my old goldeneye buddies having moved towns, and i always won when i wanted to..however the ability to play MP by yourself with bot "friends" was pretty cool......looking at my stats i think i killed something like 24,000 people, for about 3,500 deaths, thats waaaaaaay to much time spent

13. Jedijace007

Jedijace007 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 3, 2002
    Perfect dark all the way!!!!!! it totaly blew goldeneye out of the water, and I frickin LOVED Goldeneye! I bought PD the day it came out, and played it all summer. Ah... fond memories of the good old days of N64... Gamecube doesn't come close to replacing it. BUT, there is a rumored PD for GC on the horizon... Just hope its as good as the original! OH, anyone here play 007 Nightfire? That game frickin rules. Adios

14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>(Some of the folks with whom I played every once in a while even felt compelled to make up weird little rules about who you could/could not shoot while someone was being respawned... Needless to say: LAME!) <<

I've found almost everyone I played with preferred to play with a "no shooting unarmed people" rule, a fair enough rule so it never really bothered me and just became second nature.

15. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

Levels, eh...?

Let's see here.

Most Enjoyable Single Player Mission:
    Goldeneye: Facility --> When I first started playing this level, and saw that the time to beat for the cheat was 2:05 I couldn't believe it. Since I had yet to complete it in anything under like 15 mins, I couldn't begin to comprehend how a normal human could possibly run through the level so fast.

Then I started playing it to beat it quickly in order to get the cheat. So I played it. And played it. And played it again. And again.

And then something happened...

I began to appreciate the level of inherent brilliance behind the design of the level. The way in that doors would appear to magically open (really opened by enemies) for you right when you needed to be there. The way you could blow through the halls, killing only the enemies you absolutely had to (which was minimal), and get through with nary a nick of damage. It became clear that this was the way you were supposed to play this level. That it was specifically designed so that one could tear through it, provided you knew the exact pattern of behavior required to navigate it.

At this point, Goldeneye ceased to be a FPS for me. I began looking at it the same way I might a puzzle game. Sure, you still run around with a weapon and butcher your foes, but there was a certain elegance to it now. It became clear that there was a "proper path" one could take in just about every single level to facilitate getting the cheats. Granted, you could just go crazy and blast everyone in sight, but you wouldn't get the cheat. Finding the "proper path" for each level became my goal (since I wanted all the cheats), and my Goldeneye playing became very trial-and-error oriented. I started playing it similarly to the way I would Lemmings... (Try one idea, watch it fail, adapt, try new idea, watch it fail, adapt, etc... No surprise I ended up being a Computer Science major... 8-} )

Although I eventually played every level in this fashion to get the cheats, the Facility was the one that opened my eyes to how deep a FPS could truly be. (The only irritating thing about it was the location of that darned Dr. Doaks! Randomly assigned location stinks! Especially since only one of his locations would help you get the cheat easily!)

Least Favorite Goldeneye Level:
    Caverns: I dislike this level immensely. Partly because I was never able to get the cheat for it. Too frustrating. Nothing worse then playing perfectly until the 9:00 mark, and then getting rooked unfairly by one thing or another, or making a stupid mistake, and then having to start completely over. No fun, I say!

Favorite PD Level:
    Hard to say. I really like the one where you dress up like the stewardess and sneak around the inside of the enemy base for a while. I like playing through espionage scenarios like that. Fun stuff.

Least Favorite PD Level:
    Maian S.O.S. --> Cool idea, but any level which starts you off with fuzzy vision, virtually zero ammo, and 25% health isn't going to be one whole lot of fun to play. Great ending cinematic, though.

Sorry for the length of the post. Sometimes I tend to be verbose.

Brevity is for suckers,
    Yours Truly

16. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    T2Q, I usually play by that rule too, but sometimes it's hard to see if the person you're shooting is unarmed or not. As far as I'm concerned, they're just another dot on the radar.

Sure they might scream "I'm unarmed! I'm unarmed!" but by then, at least half of their health is gone. :D

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    well, at least you have an excuse in those situations[face_batting]

Me, I just looked at the other split screens to see if they were toting ::)

18. Whimper

Whimper Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 11, 1999
    I like both games, but PD edges out Goldeneye, despite it's faults.

But I hate to break it to you, JediJace007, there will *never* be a Perfect Dark game for Nintendo's Gamecube.

Nintendo sold off all of their stock in Rare, and subsequently, Microsoft bought them outright. All future Perfect Dark sequels will be for X-box. :(

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    THough, thankfully the design team who made Goldeneye went and broke away and made Timesplitters- so at least GCN has that ::)

20. Jedijace007

Jedijace007 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 3, 2002
    In response to:
    "But I hate to break it to you, JediJace007, there will *never* be a Perfect Dark game for Nintendo's Gamecube."

Well, to be honest, I'd rather see it on the X-box anyhow. It seems that *almost* all nintendo likes to do these days, are childish games, with cartoonish looking graphics. I was a LIFETIME Zelda player, from the first one, back in the late 80's, through Majoras Mask, on N64, and everything between. Just seeing the graphics on the new "windwaker" game, made me boycott it. Was I missing something great? Possibly, but with those kind of graphics, I wont lose any sleep over it.

Hopefully X-box will do PD the proper justice, and make a really hardcore game. We'll see!

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >>Just seeing the graphics on the new "windwaker" game, made me boycott it. Was I missing something great? Possibly, but with those kind of graphics, I wont lose any sleep over it. <<

Personally, I think TWW's graphic style has a very "old skool" vibe to it; taking direction from ALTTP and some of the early games' manual art.

Though, I do agree that the character design for Link could have been better.

22. bliv

bliv Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 23, 2002
    And yes you did miss something great.

For multiplayer, I always liked the combat boosts in Perfect Dark. Really cool slowing the action down and gaining an advantage if you only have a Falcon 2 and others have automatics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.