main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends "Perfect Strangers" (LOTF AU, K/J/OC) Complete

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Dantana Skywalker, Dec 29, 2005.

1. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Okay, Kaylee is moving beyond cute into squee territory. What plan does Kyp have for Vash?

You know having Kyp read 'The Little Lost Bantha Cub' to Jaina when she was 2-3 is pretty... odd, to be honest. Still you do write the pair quite well. Kudos, dudette.

Now let's get Vash shipped off somewhere. I hear danni Quee's available. ;)

2. Abby

Abby Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Wow, Dana...

Thank you to Ars for pointing me over here.

Wonderful stuff - I love the story idea (kind of reminds me of Saber's "Miracle" only in reverse and in a different setting). I can't wait to see how they're going to resolve this one, but I forsee a lot of angst (of course, it's YOU!), and a lot of trickery in the near future.

I also see that I'm going to have to get on with reading the Dark Nest books. . .

~Abby~

3. SITH_MAYO

SITH_MAYO Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2005
    AWESUM!!!

I LOVED ALL OF IT!!!:D

The way Kaylee and Kyp got on was sooooooooooooooooo adorable!!![face_mischief]

Fantastic writing, like I said . . . I love it!!!=D=

Can't wait for the next chapter!!! I hope you post soon. *wink wink / knudge knudge*
    [face_batting] ;) [face_praying]
    *grabs snacks and drinks, sets up camp around computer and stares at screen whilst munching chocolate*

[face_whistling]

waiting . . . waiting . . . waiting . . . . waiting . . . waiting . . . waiting . . . .

waiting . . . waiting . . . waiting . . . . waiting . . . waiting . . . waiting . . . .

waiting . . . waiting . . . waiting . . . . waiting . . . waiting . . .

waiting . . . ...........................................................................

4. princess_of_naboo

princess_of_naboo Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2000
    I read some of your older stories last night. I loved the one where Kyp hadn't gone to the darkside and Jaina, his apprentice, helped raise his daughter Cass. Definitely can relate Cass to Kaylee. You do a great job with writing little children.

*waits with SITH_MAYO*

5. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Yes, things will be getting very . . . interesting the more he remembers.

Heh . . . Well, he's going to surprise me, too.

Thank you. :) I just wasn't sure how I wanted that scene to work, so I never felt right with the way it *did* play out. But I'm glad you liked it.

LOL, great theory, but now.

LOL, I know. Killik_Twilight said something along those lines to me recently. :p

Thanks. :)

Ha ha ha. Now that's an idea . . .

I figure Kyp had to have read to the kids at some point while he was staying with Han and Leia. Of course, I'm assuming he was staying with them, but it makes perfect sense.

Yeah, it occured to me just recently that the two 'fics have a lot of parallels. Except no one's trying to kill Kyp. ;)

6. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    "'Cause," she said, as if that were adequate. "She was. Don' argue."

That is so jaina's daughter. And I loved the Little Lost Bantha Cub scene.

7. Master_Kiona

Master_Kiona Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 20, 2002
    mmm I do like where this one is going... I can hardly wait for the next update!

8. Daughterofflame

Daughterofflame Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2003
    Yay for wonderful posties! I'm loving Kaylee more and more every time I read. She's such a cute thing, and extremely precocious, huh? :D That should really help when it comes to Kyp and his plans. [face_devil] :D I'm more than ready to see this Vash person fly, if you know what I mean. And why do I suspect Han is going to be more than a bystander in this little mini-manuever....

I'm looking forward to more whenever you've got it. :)

~*~Austyn

9. SITH_MAYO

Sep 3, 2005
    waiting . . . waiting . . . waiting . . .
    [face_thinking]
    o_O
    [face_whistling]
    *opens the 23rd packet of crisps / grabs 26th can of coke cola*
    8-}
    I-)
    [face_hypnotized]
    PPPPPPPPPPPLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    POST SOON!!![face_praying]
    I can't wait for the next post!!! (As you can tell lol)
    [face_batting] :D :cool:

10. WaterGoddess

WaterGoddess Jedi Youngling

Aug 30, 2005
    Can't wait until the dinner scene. It's really getting good now.

11. Jedi-Saber

Jedi-Saber Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 22, 2003
    I love Kyp in this. It's nice to see him still be the strong Kyp that we know but also vulnerable because of his memory loss. And Kaylee is so much like both of her parents she is a pleasure to read about. She just makes me smile and chuckle to myself. Sometimes it just seems like poetic justice when you see children that are so much like their headstrong parents.

And poor Vash, I so want to hate him but I'm getting the feeling that he's going to be one of those guys you just can't hate and that he is just so wonderful and understanding that you end up feeling guilty for not liking him.

I can't wait to see what Kyp has in store for the dinner party and find out how he reacts when he gets his memory back.

Dana, You do realize that this is one of those addicting stories that you sit up all night reading and than go to work bleary eyed the next morning because you couldn't put it down. Just one problem with that though, this story isn't finished for me to be able to sit up all night and read it.

So I'm going to sit here with my caf so I can stay awake to read the next post.[face_coffee]

...Still waiting (second cup) [face_coffee]

...(third cup) [face_coffee]

Please update soon before I get the caf jitters. :D

J-S

12. Jedi-Saber

Jedi-Saber Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 22, 2003

...(f.f..o.o..u.u..r.r..t.t..h.h ...c.c..u.u..p.p) [face_coffee]

Still waiting [face_tired]

Sorry don't want to be pushy but I'm an east coaster and it's starting to get late. [face_hypnotized]

Please update this great fic soon. [face_praying] :D

13. Deneveon

Deneveon Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    Hmm, I've been keeping up with this but I've never replied...? That's odd. *scratches head* Oh well.

Anyway, great stuff so far. I've read several amnesia fics and only two have managed to keep the cheese factor down and interested me long enough to keep reading: SaberBlade's Miracle and this. So kudos on that. Your whole scenario is quite believable, actually, especially your characterizations of Kyp and Jaina. It's quite interesting to see this Kyp...it's as if he's writing out his life on a clean slate. He seems like a different person in some aspects, but there are still traces of the Kyp we know and love.

And Jaina...poor girl. She's a really messed-up cookie...but that's how she is in canon, anyway. You've got that characterization down pat. She's doing exactly what I would expect canon Jaina to do. Nice touch about making it a one night stand that conceived Kaylee, instead of a whirlwind romance. It certainly complicates things a lot for our favorite couple.

EDIT: And oh yes, I forgot. I concur with everyone else about Vash. It's refreshing that you're writing him as a nice guy, that perfect man for Jaina who really isn't (because we all know that spot belongs to Kyp, right? :p ). I sympathize with the guy and it's going to be very interesting to see him and Kyp interact with one another. Especially if Kyp regains inmportant bits of his memory soon...that is to say, if he remembers just how must he loved Jaina to begin with. I'm quite eager to see what he has in store for the dinner. Ah yes, scheming Kyp is up to his old tricks again. ;)

Marvelous. :D

14. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Yes, Kaylee's a lot like her mother, but I think she's more like her father. :p

Thanks. :) Update's coming right up.

Oh, Han may have a hand in things . . .

Heh, you're certainly enthusiastic!

Thanks. :)

"Just wait until *you* have children . . ." [face_laugh] I'll bet Jaina remembers every single time her mother said that to her when she was growing up.

Sorry I haven't had more time to work on this, life's been crazy this week, with recovering from pneumonia, and school, and today's drama . . . *sigh*

LOL, don't have too much coffee!

15. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Yay, finally got this done. I've had lots of interference with my writing lately.

[b]--Chapter Eight--[/b]

He spent most of the two hours before Jaina was supposed to arrive going through the datacards. A large part of him felt like he was going through another man's possessions. He was Kyp Durron, and he knew it and accepted it. But these things belonged to a man he was not, a man he couldn't remember being.

Most of the datacards were records of expense accounts--he discovered very quickly that while he didn't have very much in the way of possessions, he had a rather [i]large[/i] expense account on Denon, enough that it made the pay he'd been saving from his work with Cid look exceedingly paltry--or notes from council meetings--first Cal Omas's Advisory Council, then the Jedi Council.

There were a handful, however, that were dated, nothing else on the label. He selected the most recent of them, dated a little over five years before, and stuck it in the datapad. It immediately told him that the data was encrypted and told him to supply the passcode.

Kyp glanced at the holocubes and put in "Jaina".

Nothing. "Access denied" flashed on the screen.

He tried "Jaina Solo".

Still nothing.

Then, on a whim, he tried, "Jaina Durron".

Zilch.

Kyp sighed and thought. What was it Han had said he called her? Oh, that's right. He tried "goddess".

It still beeped at him.

He got up and went to the door. Han was in the living area, straightening the sofa. "Han?"

"Yeah, Kyp?"

"I grew up in Kessel. But where was I from before that?"

Han gave him a look that clearly said, "Why are you asking [i]that[/i]?" He thought for a moment, then said, "Deyer. In the Anoat system. Your parents were colonists."

"Thanks."

Kyp went back to the datapad and entered "Deyer".

The beep was different this time and a message came up that said, "Access granted."

"Hey," he murmured. "What do you know, not quite as obsessed with Jaina as I appeared . . ."

It turned out that the datacard was a journal. Kyp flipped through the other datacards and found that it went back about fifteen or years, to around the start of the Yuuzhan Vong war. The dates got steadier around fourteen years before.

He skimmed through the entries in the journal until he reached the most recent one, wanting to know what he could glean from reading of a past he didn't remember.

This entry was fairly short, and had been entered a little after 0300 in the morning.

[ul]I find myself unable to sleep, when I should be having the
    most peaceful rest I've been able to get in years. I worry
    too much, I know, about all sorts of things that are beyond
    my control. Too many nights up worrying about the Jedi, or
    what Cal Omas is going to do to us next, or how Han and Leia
    are doing, how Jaina's holding up. I know most people don't
    think I have any thoughts in my head except for myself. I
    don't think they'd believe me if they knew. I screwed up too
    much as a kid and everyone sees that instead of who I am now.

But I think I've written about that enough in here. Sometimes
    I wonder if I think too much. Mara would undoubtedly say I
    don't think at all. Or maybe that's more something Corran
    would say. I know why I don't like him, but I still really
    don't know why he took that instant dislike to me when I was
    sixteen. But I digress.

I was going over something for Luke, standard council stuff,
    when Jaina knocked on my door tonight. I've been worried
    about her since the end of the Chiss-Killik thing. Before, to
    tell the truth. Han knows that much. He and I discussed it at
    length several times. Even knowing I have his support, I just
    find I can't make that move, unless I know she wants me.
    She's closer to normal now, but she's still got moments where
    I feel I don't know her. And if anyone in the galaxy knows
    Jaina, it's me. It's scary sometimes, when I look at her and
    don't recognise her as the young woman who was my apprentice
    for that very, very short time. When she came to me tonight,
    though, it was strange,

16. Keela_Underwail

Keela_Underwail Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 28, 2005
    Beautiful...thats the only way to describe it! Beautifully paced, wonderful interactions, though I find Leia slightly cold in demeanor, but not out of character. I think she is just trying to want whats best for Jaina and Kaylee (she's wrong Vash isnt right for Jaina). I like Vash's character, shame on you for making him likable! I almost feel bad for rooting against him, almost. Kyp is great, you give him such depth. Thank you for not making Jaina bratty, like she is sometimes portrayed. Han is great, he knows whats best for his girls! Kaylee is still absolutley precious! Keep up the great work. I can't wait til the next chapter.
    -Keela

17. Rose_Skywalker

Rose_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 17, 2002

AHHH You left it at that! I Don't want to wait for the next post. I wanna know what han wants to talk about now! These posts are just not long enough for me. Their fabolous posts, but i want more *pouts like Kaylee* :D :D :D

18. SITH_MAYO

Sep 3, 2005
    Kyp eyed Kaylee's plate. He reached over with his fork and speared a green . . . thing . . . and popped it in his mouth. He chewed, swallowed, and said, "These are good, Kaylee, I think you'll like them."
    Kaylee eyed him for a moment. "Daddy, that's my plate!"

"Nuh-uh."

"Is, too!"

Kyp looked at her for a moment, then reached over and switched their plates. "Now it's my plate."

She giggled. "Daddy, you're funny."

Kaylee reached for her plate. Kyp switched them back, since his was empty, anyway. Then he tried to steal another vegetable. Kaylee stopped him with her fork.

"Mine, Daddy!" she giggled. She used her fork to pick up a spiced tuber and ate it.

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo cute together!!!!:)

Leia reached for her glass of pale blue champagne and knocked it back.

Brilliant! lol, I loved this dinner scene!!! Amazing!!! Can't wait for more!!!:D [face_batting]

19. ccp

ccp Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    Hey weird creepy feelings and then nothing.
    Great update.=D=

20. princess_of_naboo

princess_of_naboo Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2000
    Great update!

Kyp is so good with Kaylee. I bet that's going to affect Jaina. After all, Vash can't really get Kaylee to do anything cause she doesn't like him.

I really wonder what Han has to say to Kyp.

I hope Mestra doesn't do anything bad to Kyp...

21. princess_melissa

princess_melissa Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    I agree, Kyp's such a good Dad. And Kaylee just adores him.

I think Mestra is up to no good.

I'm much looking foward to Han's little talk with Kyp. Can't wait for the next update!

22. Flowerlady

Flowerlady Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2005
    Great update! =D= I loved the interaction at the dinner between Kyp and Kaylee. And I wonder what Mestra has up her sleve. [face_worried]

FL @};-

23. Deneveon

Deneveon Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    I'm sorry to hear about your family troubles. Regards to your brother and I hope you get things sorted out. I'm glad to note you appreciate that review...as of late I've tended to give a little more in-depth replies than, "That was great, more soon?" because as an author I appreciate such replies myself. Unless, of course, I'm in a hurry or something.

EDIT: Regarding "Miracle," don't worry about the similarities. Amnesia is all that the two stories have in common, and that's not quite an uncommon theme. The circumstances in both are quite different and both are unique to each.

Anyway, I liked this scene. It's cute to see Kyp the Dad...and it's already obvious that he's going to make a much better father to Kaylee than Vash ever would, as much as I'm sure the guy would like to try. Kyp's quite the sneaky one...I'm sure he knows that he's just made Vash jealous with his uber parenting skills. It's a role that he settles into quite nicely.

And in fighting for Kaylee, we see him begin to fight for Jaina as well. I found it hilarious that everyone's worried about having Kyp and Jaina alone in a room. They can all apparently see that the two of them share more chemistry than Vash and Jaina ever will.

Now if only Kyp and Jaina would see that.

Plus, I'm not liking this future mother-in-law. She seems a bit too involved in her son's life at this point, and a tad too cold for her health.

Again, marvelous.

24. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Wow, that was great! Loved Kyp's interaction with Kaylee, and how he got her to eat her vegetables. That journal entry was pretty well-written, too.

Vash's mother... *Shudder* Something about her, you know?

25. C3SoloP0

C3SoloP0 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 10, 2002
    Wow!!!

I haven't been on the boards in a while but this story wow! And of course, it has to be Dana's...what can I say....I've been a fan from day 1...

I'm happy to see you back here on the boards Dana, wonderful story, I absolutely love it...

I would like to request to be on the PM list please! :) :)

Thanks!

Can't wait for more....