main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends "Perfect Strangers" (LOTF AU, K/J/OC) Complete

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Dantana Skywalker, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Umm . . . Yup, ending it like that for now. :p

One of Jaina's parents suspects the correct person, let's just leave it at that for now. :p

Heh, yup. They were so eager to get him into their custody that they kinda went gung-ho about it.

Heh, you didn't. Actually, you might have helped. I've been breathing a little easier since I laughed so hard. :)

I don't think he could hide his core personality traits, lol. We'll see about Kaylee.

Even with amnesia, he writes himself. :p

Oh, we'll be seeing Han's reaction very soon. [face_devil]

Dana

2. ccp

ccp Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    Nice cliff.
    Can I get a PM?

3. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    I've added you to the list. :)

Dana

4. princess_melissa

princess_melissa Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Awsome update! Kyp's taking this very well. I'm a little surprised he isn't believing them. Glad he found out for himself about Kaylee. This next conversation should be interesting.

Can't wait til the next post

5. Flowerlady

Flowerlady Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2005
    Well, that was good. I am sooo hooked on this. Can't wait until the next post. :D

But, I also can't wait to see Sithy Kip either.[face_praying]

FL @};-

6. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    The next conversation is very interesting. And he's not whole-heartedly believing in everything they say just yet. He takes convincing.

Heh, thanks. Sithly!Kyp's still got a good run in him. Just have to write a bunch of action stuff I suck at. *eye roll*

Chapter three of this should be up fairly soon.

Dana

7. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    This was probably the hardest chapter to write of the whole 'fic.

[b]--Chapter Three--[/b]

Han reluctantly let go of Jaina, who went to Kyp's side. Luke exchanged a look with his niece, then motioned everyone but Cilghal, Mara, Han, and Leia out. At a nod from the Mon Calamari healer, Luke lifted the hood over Kyp's head.

Kyp looked around the room, frowning when he saw the others. "I wanted to talk to [i]you[/i]," he said quietly.

Jaina sighed. She pointed to Luke and Mara. "This is my uncle Luke and my Aunt Mara. And that's my mom, Leia, and my dad, Han."

"Oh, so it's family." He nodded slowly. Then he cleared his throat. "This is strange to me. I don't know any of you, but you all say I do. And since I don't remember anything before five years ago, I have to trust you guys that you're not lying to me and trying to make me join some cult."

Luke held up the lightsaber they'd found in Kyp's duffle when bringing it through the security check. He handed it to Jaina.

"Hey, that's-" Kyp stopped. "That's mine."

"Yes," Jaina said softly. "It's your lightsaber. It came to you after . . . after one of your fellow students made it, and then he was killed. You've kept it with you ever since."

"Huh. I always wondered what I was doing with a lightsaber. So I guess I [i]am[/i] a Jedi?"

She nodded. "You're actually . . . a Jedi Master. One of the Council."

He gave her a very Kyp look. "So I guess that's why you guys grabbed me like you did?"

"There was . . ." Jaina hesitated. "There was a mission on Marclonus, five years ago. You and I were under cover. As we were leaving, we were attacked by space pirates and your fighter was destroyed. We've believed you to be dead since then."

His green eyes searched her face. "What were we?" he asked. "You and me?"

Jaina looked down at the lightsaber in her hands, to give herself time to prepare an answer. "We, uh . . . You've been my best friend since I was nineteen. I was your apprentice for a short while, but we've been friends for a lot longer."

Jaina saw her parents exchange looks. She wasn't sure how much she wanted him to know at the moment, how much she wanted to say in front of her parents.

"We were more than that, though," he continued, still watching her. "Weren't we?"

Leia's mouth opened, but Han kept her silent with a shake of his head.

Jaina wasn't sure what to say. "No" wasn't exactly right, because there had been something more. But "yes" was wrong, because they'd been lovers for a single night, and then she'd done her best to go back to just friends. He was Kaylee's father, and he'd loved her once upon a time.

"I'm not really sure what to call it," she admitted, finally. "We weren't [i]together[/i] in any sense of the word, but . . ."

"But Kaylee's mine," he whispered.

After a pause, she said, "Yes. She is."

Han and Leia both exploded at the same time, their words spilling over each other. Luke held up a hand and they reluctantly fell silent. He didn't say anything, just looked at them.

"Did I know? Before the accident?" Kyp asked.

Jaina's face twisted for a moment, before she shook her head. "No, I . . . I barely knew myself. I hadn't told you yet. I wasn't sure how you'd take it, since we weren't . . ."

"Weren't a couple," he said flatly.

"No."

And there it was, an echo of the resentment that had come between them after that night. Kyp had wanted more, had been obvious about that, but he hadn't pushed for it. It was Jaina who had drawn away, as she always did, putting space between them. She hadn't been sure what she wanted. Jag's death had been too recent, the dissolution of her mind-meld with Zekk too raw. She hadn't been prepared for something like Kyp had wanted, hadn't been sure she had [i]wanted[/i] it.

And now, even if Kyp got his memory back . . . she was still engaged to Vash, still about to marry someone else.

Jaina stood up, suddenly unable to continue this at the moment. "I've got to go. I'm sorry, I can't-"

She shook her head and backed up, heading for the door. After

8. princess_of_naboo

princess_of_naboo Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2000
    "Mom, what's past is past. Even if Kyp gets his memory back, I'm getting married in a week, and then I'm going on my honeymoon. I'm going to spend the rest of my life with Vash. And I just have to live with that."

Sure...

I hope Kyp starts getting his memory back.

Great update!

9. Daughterofflame

Daughterofflame Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2003
    NOTE TO SELF: Avoid all Dana stories when time is short.

*sighs, glances at checkbook that STILL needs balancing*

Oh well. :D Great 'fic, btw! I'm hooked already.

And since I need to pay bills, that'll be all I'm gonna say for now. :)

~*~Austyn

10. Rose_Skywalker

Rose_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    Mom, what's past is past. Even if Kyp gets his memory back, I'm getting married in a week, and then I'm going on my honeymoon. I'm going to spend the rest of my life with Vash. And I just have to live with that."

[face_laugh] Yeah right. Jaina don't you know yourself better than that. You'll end up with Kyp whether you like it or not, because Kaylee is really in charge here. I mean she's the adorable one know, she wins. great post, i love how Han knew but Leia didn't. Jaina really is Daddy's little girl ;)

11. ccp

Apr 29, 2005
    "Mom, what's past is past. Even if Kyp gets his memory back, I'm getting married in a week, and then I'm going on my honeymoon. I'm going to spend the rest of my life with Vash. And I just have to live with that."

That's a stupid way to look at it Jaina.
    Great update.

I'm thinking that Han and Kyp hanging out will be trouble.

12. MiaTieska

MiaTieska Jedi Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    *wibble*

Awwwwww poor Jaina! Poor Kyp! And I love how Han is so nice to Kyp and awwww!!!

I wonder if Leia will come in handy with delaying/cancelling the wedding... or something. Hmm. Awww poor everyone!

*wibble*

-Mia

13. princess_melissa

Mar 7, 2005
    Nice update!

:eek: Something tells me before long she's going to change her thinking. At least I hope so.

Can't wait for more

14. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Thanks. :D I hope he starts getting it back, too. :p

Don't even remind me. I haven't balanced mine for a month, though I know I've only got 47 cents in my checking account.

Glad you like the story so far. :)

Heh heh. Han just seems more to me like he's more aware of what goes on with Jaina than Leia, even if Leia is her mother. There's a line of his in "Swarm War" that just seems to prove that.

Ha ha ha, probably will be trouble. Not so much before he gets his memory back, though. [face_devil]

Well, I wouldn't count on Leia too much. Of course Han's nice, he's a nice guy. And he's looking out for his little girl. :p

I had no idea when I wrote that line, that it was going to be the most quoted one of the chapter. *blinks and rubs eyes*

There are more obstacles than just her harrying Vash, of course. But we'll see. :)

Dana

15. Ars_longa

Ars_longa Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 26, 2004
    Han just seems more to me like he's more aware of what goes on with Jaina than Leia, even if Leia is her mother. There's a line of his in "Swarm War" that just seems to prove that.

Um, can I ask you to quote this line? I can't read this trilogy yet, but I'm curious. :)

A.

Other thoughts later. :)

16. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002

I can do better than the line itself, I can provide the section around it. (And as it's relevant to this story very specifically, I would hope that I don't get in trouble for posting this as the I've already said in the first post of this story that it contains DNT spoilers.)

Page 215 of "Swarm War":

"Don't force me to destroy you and the Princess, Captain Solo," Jagged said. "Things didn't work out between Jaina and me, but I still remember you all fondly."

"Do what you have to, kid." Han pushed the three functioning throttles back past their overload stops. "I always liked Kyp Durron better anyway."

Leia slapped the comm microphones off. "Han! Are you crazy?" she demanded. "Kyp?"

"Relax." Han gave her a crooked smile. "I'm just trying to make him mad. I know Kyp's way too old for her."

This clearly shows that Han, at least, is perfectly aware of Kyp's feelings towards Jaina and Jaina's possible reciprocation, and of how much it annoys Jag. Which makes me wonder if Han's "He's way too old for her" thing is genuinely what he believes, or if he said it to keep Leia from strangling him.

Chapter four is on its way, I just finished it. I'll probably post it tonight as a "New Year's" present.

Dana

17. Ars_longa

Ars_longa Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 26, 2004
    Well, given that he's only 11 years older than Leia, why, of course I think he was deadly serious saying this! :rolleyes: [face_whistling]

A.

18. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Heh heh, everyone I've talked to about it says that.

And speaking of all of that, here's the next chapter. :)

[b]--Chapter Four--[/b]

"You did [i]what[/i]? Han, he can't stay here!"

"I don't see why not. We've got the room, and he's perfectly capable of taking care of himself."

"Han, it's [i]Kyp[/i] we're talking about here."

"Yeah, Kyp with his memory gone. I thought maybe it'd help him if he was around us. Might bring back memories. I know you're not real fond of him-"

"I wonder [i]why[/i]. Maybe because he, I don't know, [i]manipulated Jaina[/i]?"

"That was fourteen years ago, Leia. He's done a lot of good, especially since then."

"How do we know what kind of man he is now, Han? What if he's some criminal now?"

In the guest room where han had told him he could stay, Kyp sat on the edge of the bed and tried to block out the shouting arguing coming from the next room. [i]Kyp,[/i] he thought. The name was coming more easily to him. [i]Kyp Durron, Jedi Master.[/i]

Maybe he'd made a mistake in accepting Han. That Luke guy probably would have set him up with his own place inside the Jedi Temple; Han had said he'd had one once, so he didn't see why he couldn't have one again. Besides, he didn't want to be the reason Han and Leia were arguing.

It was obvious that while Han was fond of Kyp, Leia was anything but. He wasn't sure why; there was probably a [i]lot[/i] he didn't remember. He didn't understand the reference to him manipulating Jaina. Jaina herself had said that they were best friends, so why would he have manipulated her? Why would she be friends with him if he had? What exactly had he done?

"He's not a criminal, Leia. C'mon, he hunted smugglers and space pirates before the war with the Vong. He's the last person who'd-"

"What about Carida, Han? This feels like we're just repeating what happened after Kessel."

"Carida was thirty years ago, Leia. If you forgave your father, I think you can forgive Kyp, anyway."

"If [i]he[/i] doesn't know who he is, how can you be sure he's the same person?"

"Jaina does, and that's good enough for me."

"Oh, right. And she's shown such crystal-clear judgement in the past. Running off against orders to the Unknown Regions, joining the Killiks, [i]sleeping[/i] with her master, having a baby!"

"Jaina is a grown woman, Leia. She can make decisions for herself, whether or not we happen to like them. Even if it's marry some guy who isn't the father of her kid, a guy she doesn't love."

That gave Kyp pause. Jaina was married? That, or about to be. She'd said her name was Solo, but lots of women kept their maiden names. There was more going on here than he could see on the surface, that much was obvious. Why would Jaina marry someone she didn't love? From the looks of things, she didn't need someone to take care of her and protect her and Kaylee; Jaina had a whole army of relatives who'd obviously do anything for her.

And what was Carida? What was Kessel? What was it Kyp had done that Leia didn't like?

"You leave Vash out of this, Han. For once, Jaina is involved with a decent, stable man who can provide for her. Vash loves Kaylee and he'll be a good father to her."

"But he [i]isn't[/i] her father! Kyp is the kid's father, and like it or not, Leia, that isn't going to go away. If he were himself, he'd be fighting tooth and nail for Jaina. Hell, I think he and Jaina would have been married long before this if he hadn't had that accident. You [i]know[/i] how much he loved her. More than Vash ever will."

He'd loved Jaina? The thought made sense, given that he'd obviously shared her bed at least once. It seemed so unfair, though, that if he'd loved Jaina so much, that he couldn't remember anything about their relationship. Unfair to himself, unfair to Jaina, and unfair to Kaylee.

And what about Kaylee? Han was right, even if he could

19. princess_of_naboo

princess_of_naboo Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2000
    Aww, poor Kaylee just wants her daddy. She'll force those two together yet. :p

Great update!

20. ccp

Apr 29, 2005
    That was great.=D=
    Why doesn't Kaylee like Vash?
    Hope theres more soon.

21. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Dana dear, I don't things are as simple as all that, but that's just because I know you too well!

This is really awesome. Personally, I like Vash, which is driving me nuts!

22. princess_melissa

Mar 7, 2005
    I don't like Vash but that's probably just because he's coming between Kyp and Jaina. I think I'd like him if he otherwise, though, I haven't gotten to see very much of him.

Awsome update! Can't wait for the next!

23. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Thanks! I'll be introducing her to her daddy soon, and boy, is she gonna burst!

Kaylee has her reasons, which we'll probably see soon. And hopefully that *will* be soon. Chapter five is mostly done, so expect an update within a couple hours.

Yeah, Vash isn't a jerk. He genuinely loves Jaina and Kaylee, which is gonna make things hard later. :p

I don't like him, either. ;) We'll be seeing much more of him as this progresses, probably in chapter six.

Dana

24. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    --Chapter Five--

Jedi robes felt . . . strange. And sort of itchy.

Kyp tugged at the sleeves of a set of robes Han had pulled from a crate and told him had belonged to him. Still belonged. Everything in the boxes Han had brought from . . . somewhere . . . belonged to him.

"So, kid, what do you think?"

He looked at himself in the reflection plate. He'd shaved, carefully combed his hair, every ritual that was familiar to him. He'd taken his time with it, because little else was familiar.

"I look . . . different," he said at last, unable to find words adequate enough.

"You'll get used to it again. Though, you always did seem to prefer civilian clothes. Or a uniform you designed for your squadron."

"My squadron?" Kyp turned to Han, looking a bit startled. "I had a squadron?"

"Yeah, the Kyp's Dozen. Well, originally they were the Dozen-And-Two Avengers, but the New Republic bigwigs made you change it to just the Dozen when you hooked up with them in an unofficial way, 'bout the time we, uh . . ." Han faltered for a moment, then cleared his throat. "Well, we lost a bunch of Jedi back about, oh, thirteen years ago. Then you started flying with Jaina."

"What did I save her from?" Kyp asked, returning his attention to his utility belt. It felt strange to have the lightsaber hanging at his left hip.

"Well . . . the Jedi sent a strike team to Myrkr, to destroy these things called voxyn."

"Oh, yeah. Cid mentioned voxyn a couple times, said they were nasty."

"Nasty would be an understatement," Han said. "You weren't involved in the strike team, but Jaina and her two brothers were. During the mission, Anakin, our youngest, was, uh-" Han cleared his throat again, his voice suddenly thick with emotion. "Well, we lost him. And Jacen, that's Jaina's twin brother, he got captured by the Vong, spent about ten months with 'em. Jaina was devastated. We all thought we'd lost Jacen, too, but we got him back eventually. Anyway, Jaina started goin' down a . . . darker path. I'll admit, Leia and I were a little too wrapped up in Jacen and Anakin to really do right by Jaina, and you took it upon yourself to follow her and drag her back."

Kyp nodded in understanding. "And that was when I became her master, and I flew with her in . . . Twin Suns?"

"Right."

"How do I know you're not just making stuff up? I find it hard to believe that as a Jedi Master, I'd fly under the command of a woman . . . how much younger is she?" Kyp bent and began looking through one of the boxes.

"A little under fourteen years, but only 'bout a month, from what you could recall of when your lifeday was. Your parents died when you were nine. They were arrested for political activism against the Emperor, and you were tossed into Kessel with 'em."

Ah, that would explain Leia's remark about Kessel. He was an orphan, then, with no ties. Just like now. Leia just might be right. "Kessel is a prison."

"Yup. Your parents were killed in a prison revolt when you'd been in there 'bout a year, and you were there until you were sixteen, an' I helped you get out. I'll have t' tell you the story sometime, but I gotta run." The ex-smuggler sighed. "Leia's got me goin' to get a new tux for Jaina's wedding."

Kyp paused, and looked up at Han. "She's still getting married?"

Han's hazel eyes suddenly seemed to avoid his. "Uh, yeah. She's still getting married."

"But . . ."

"Look, kid. I don't know what happened between you an' Jaina five years ago. ONly one who knows that right now is her. All I know right now is, she's runnin' from something. I don't know what it is. I'm just her father, and she hasn't confided in me like that since she was about sixteen."

Han said good-bye then, and took his leave. He at least, didn't tell him not to go wondering around the Jedi temple, or give him instructions on how to get back if he did. It was nice because Luke had been treating him . . . not quite as if he were a child, but as if he were . . . simple.

Kyp let out the breath he'd been holding in a short huff and sat down on the fl

25. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Ooh, this should be interesting. I'm still totally in love with the Jaina/Kaylee dynamic.