main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Perfect vintage figures.....

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by Aaronaman, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    I have a couple 12 backs that I have locked away (Luke, R2, Han) and I never plan on getting rid of those....my mate got confused between vintage and vintage collection and opened my ROTJ Wicket figure instead of the VC version I had just brought for my daughter hahaha oh well she loves her vintage Wicket lol

2. J_Girl

J_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2001
    There are certain figures that I just can't bring myself to open. Never going to sell them, but they will be in plastic 'perfection' forever. TrakNar is right, there really is not such thing as perfection on the true vintage figures anyway whether they are MOC or not. Plus, I will never open the figures that are autographed - that goes without saying, except I just said it. :p

3. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    It really means what you mean by 'perfection'.....my loose Han Solo (small head version) that is scratched and has no weapon to me is absolutely perfect and I wouldn't swap or sell him for anything.

I've never purchased a figure just because it's rare or maybe worth something.....I collect them because I always wanted them when I was younger but couldn't get me hands on them.

I would get rid of my blue Snaggletooth figure way before I got rid of my red one just because the red one is the one I remember from my childhood.

whostheBossk likes this.
  4. J_Girl

Feb 18, 2001
    Aaronaman, I definitely have purchased figures, etc. because they were rare or would be worth something, but at the same time they had to be something I actually wanted as well. I have all the original vintage figures thanks to my sister's initial love of SW, Christmas, and my parent's wallet in 1977-78. She treated those figures with such TLC that they are in remarkable beautiful condition. I could never sell them. They are like old friends - kinda like the actual characters themselves. Same thing with the Landspeeder and X-wing. We had so much fun with those when she allowed me to touch any of it under her watchful eye - yeesh, I was not in the habit of breaking our toys. I feel like it's only right that somebody treat them with the reverence that she did when she was 6 and planning her wedding with Luke. now I have them and she can touch them! :p

5. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    I have managed to sort through many lots I have won and keep the top of each vintage figure I could find. Granted, I am always keeping my personal collection from childhood, but also adding to the quality of my collection by always adding the best figure I can find. I feel great at what I have currently now. Except after reading about the gold trim on the Bespin guards, I have to go look at mine on display and the one carded to see if they have it.

6. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    I'm guessing I'm one of the few "old-timers" around here - I was 6 when ANH hit back in '77, so remember collecting the original Vintage figures when they were released.

I do remember my original C3-PO figure from ANH (non removable limbs) got so worn out that the gold finish completely came off the figure & you could see the white?! plastic underneath.

J_Girl likes this.
  7. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    I was 6 when ANH came out too. My original figures, particularly the first ones from ANH are in played with condition. I was good w/ my figures overall though, I didn't play with them in the dirt. The plastic capes all ended up getting ripped on Ben, Leia, Vader, Lando, I chewed/cut off the tips on Luke, Vader, and Ben's lightsabers, R2-D2's stickers are worn and dirty, and my R5-D4 has a white marble stuck up his bum :p

I rescued a poor R2 out of the trash in my 1st grade class because he was missing his stickers and had lost a leg - I figure whenever I get more shelves and get my Tatooine junk yard display up, he'll end up there.

J_Girl and whostheBossk like this.
  8. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    I love hearing all of your memories...so awesome! I am glad I have a few pictures of myself playing with R2D2 and an X-Wing from around 1980. I am so glad that I managed to keep 13 original figures including that R2 and C3PO with most from ROTJ (but no weapons though!:oops:) As a story goes, I was mad Vader died and bit off his head after ROTJ lol.

Blur The C3PO I have from Ebay lots has red underneath a little, I've seen white/greyish color on mostly Death Star Droid.

PadmeLeiaJaina likes this.
  9. J_Girl

Feb 18, 2001
    Blur & PadmeLeiaJaina : count me as an oldbie as well: ANH 7 yrs old and the sister I mentioned above was 5. Wow! That was a long time ago, LOL! I'm finally getting a sw room where I can properly display those vintage figs and even the FX-7 we found buried in our old sandpile many years later with my young niece at the time. Hmm, don't remember ever owning that droid, but finders keepers on that. :p

whostheBossk : sound like the Emperor could've used you, lol! That is one serious connection you had to your figs. ;)

whostheBossk likes this.
  10. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    J_Girl and whostheBossk like this.
  11. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    I was recently visiting my folks out of town, and dug through some bins/boxes with my old SW toys. I actually don't have many Vintage ANH/ESB figures left (IIRC, these didn't make it through my childhood - LOL), but I do have quite a few ROTJ figures - i.e., Chief Chirpa, Emperor's Royal Guard, Rebel Commando (Endor), etc. And, most of them were still in very good shape.

I'm guessing that for Vintage collectors, ROTJ figures (1983 - 1984; POTF 1985) will be the easiest to find in the best condition, considering they're the last figures to have come out - and, also IMHO they are better made than previous figures.

12. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I agree, I think the ROTJ line is better made than the previous two (no stickers used on the droids for instance) and that certainly accounts for why they're usually found in better shape. I also believe that by the time ROTJ came out the kids who grew up with SW were older and took better care of their toys by that point.

whostheBossk likes this.