main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Performance in Jabba's Palace: Was it needed?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Twi'lekPrince, Mar 27, 2013.

?

Do you think that the performance in Jabba's Palace was necessary, or unecessary?

1. Necessary

38.9%
  2. Unecessary

61.1%
  1. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    All valid points. I think the 2004 update replacing the 1997 version with the TPM model was an improvement, but that's not saying much. The voice still sounds nothing like Jabba, and the way he interacts with Han lessens the threatening gangster vibe he gave in ROTJ. I don't think adding the scene did the movie any favors.

I'm not sure I'd say it's a worse scene than Jedi Rocks, though. I think I'd say I prefer it only because of how obnoxious Jedi Rocks is.

kubricklynch and Yanksfan like this.
  2. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    It wasn't necessary. And I'm not a fan of the performance. But I thought it added to the scene's atmosphere.

Revious Nugo likes this.
  3. VadersFollower

VadersFollower Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 18, 2011
    Well, the scene set up many things, it was definitely needed. First of all, as others already pointed out, it set up Rancor. Secondly, it established the vibe of the place and the whole nature of the place, as being this underground private mob club in a space fantasy way,

4. Deltron3030

Deltron3030 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 22, 2014
    I completely hate the new SE "Jedi Rocks" version. Waaaaay too self indulgent. And I freaking hated the Honeycomb Monster.

[​IMG]

The original version was intended to parallel the Cantina Band from ANH and was far less obnoxious. This was a classic SE case of George changing something because they had to change things to say they changed things.

5. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    They could have included the added Oola shots without Jedi Rocks. The original tune set up the vibe of the place quite adequately. Jedi Rocks sort of kiddied it down.

sarlaccsaurs-rex and Yanksfan like this.
  6. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I prefer the original version over the SE version. It certainly set up the Rancor, but I also think it was done to try and mirror (and be as iconic as) the Mos Eisley cantina and song. But ROTJ doesn't quite pull it off.

7. VadersFollower

VadersFollower Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 18, 2011
    As someone described it, its a Disney version. I do prefer the orginal song, it fits more to a background music of some shady mob bar, rather than the full blown Disney performance

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  8. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Incidentally, it should be noted that the added Oola shots probably were needed, since apparently a number of people found the original scene confusing - there's a lot of accounts in the "OT misconceptions you had as a child" thread of people assuming based off the original version that the trapdoor somehow turned Oola into that little creature Jabba subsequently ate.

9. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Palace performance leads to tired Twilek dancer, tired dancer leads to annoyed Jabba, annoyed Jabba leads to dancer being feed to Rancor, Leah becomes dancers replacement....we get the gold bikini.

10. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    I actually enjoyed the new version. They only used CGI for 2 characters, Sy Sootles and the Yuzzum. Everything else were puppets and actual people. The original Max Rebo and Droopy McCool were still in the scene. The dancers, Bith and Rodian musicians as well as the 2 drummers in the background were actors. And the little green guy with the harmonica sitting on the couch was a puppet. It added a new dynamic to the world of Jabba. It made it seem like something Jabba would be into. And the scene wasn't that long anyway, so to say it was horrible I just don't get it? But hey, to each their own right?

11. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I can see possible reasonings for it's inclusion but personally do I think it adds anything to the film? No.

Revious Nugo likes this.
  12. Andy Wylde

Jun 26, 2014
    I have no qualms about it adding anything to the film, I just personally like the scene. I mean not every scene in a film has to have such significant meaning to it. It was just a little music number scene. All those musicians in that scene and as well as the original didn't really add anything to the film itself.

13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It shows that Jabba is a music fan - a little extra insight into his personality.

14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Lapti Nek fit the tone better. The aliens were better in Jedi Rocks but overtook the scene imo.

15. Andy Wylde

Jun 26, 2014
    Jabba also seemed to like extravagant things it seems. But the 2 CGI characters needed to be put in there. In the original version the Yuzzum was just a puppet attached to a pole stuck up against the wall and Sy barely moved except just putting her knee up and down. So I personally think those updates were done well. It gave those particular characters much needed life to them. But Rebo and Droopy were still their original selves and worked fine. And the scene with Boba hitting on the dancing girl added a little bit more to his character.

sarlaccsaurs-rex and Iron_lord like this.
  16. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    In the ORIGINAL version, I believe it was necessary to foreshadow the Rancor (and it was a nice throwback to the Creature Cantina band in ANH). There was NO reason to change it to the mess it is today. It's a longer scene now and the new song and "antics" are embarrassing. One of the changes I hate most in the OT. All I could think at the time was "Oh my God Lucas...what the hell were you thinking????" lol.

17. Revious Nugo

Revious Nugo Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 14, 2014
    Really I don't think it's necessary to foreshadow the rancor- it would be cool if Luke suddenly fell into a pit without seeing it coming at all.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  18. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    No, no. Definitely not, it wasn't very well done anyway.

19. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Unnecessary. Completely unnecessary.

My trekkie fiance (who had never seen SW) was caught up in the OT...until that very moment. Her initial response "....oh god, really?"

For real, Lucas. For. Real.

20. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Wait why was the poll closed? I'm just now noticing this

21. LongHairedAussieGuy

LongHairedAussieGuy Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 28, 2014
    The performance in the original version was ok. It was kinda catchy and seeing all the creatures dancing and playing the instruments was kinda cool when I saw it in the cinemas in the 80's. Growing up I realised it was not really needed for the scene. However, the special edition version was plain and utter rubbish. I do like the special editions (dont hang me lol) but the Jedi Rocks scene was embarassing imo

22. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009

I've unlocked it - whoever started it set an end date (you don't actually have to, you simply leave the box unchecked).

23. Darth Zannah

Darth Zannah Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2014
    The original is so awesome...despite the muppet feel of the lead singer's lips...but I love the music in the original...IT WAS SO FUNKY! Plus the scene was shorter and just served as an interlude to when Jabba kills the Twileck dancer...

I hate the SE band peformance...it's way too in your face and feels too long...especially that GGI creature, opening his mouth and showing us his tonsils in an extreme close-up

ScutFarkus and Force Smuggler like this.
  24. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Agreed. The music was better in the original. The Aliens were better in the new version but overtook the scene.

25. Darth Zannah

Darth Zannah Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2014
    LOL. I can imagine the Jackson 5 getting down to this in Jabba's palace...