main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Performance in Jabba's Palace: Was it needed?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Twi'lekPrince, Mar 27, 2013.

?

Do you think that the performance in Jabba's Palace was necessary, or unecessary?

1. Necessary

38.9%
  2. Unecessary

61.1%
  1. Pax Sithus

Pax Sithus Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 6, 2014

Aside from being a useless,and IMO badly done, addition this just reminded me of how good the scene was without it.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  2. xx_Anakin_xx

xx_Anakin_xx Jedi Master star 4

Jan 9, 2008
    Well I didn't mind this scene. It was like the band at the bar, helped to fill out the scene. Otherwise it would be your common bigwig criminal granting audiences to various petitioners.

Andy Wylde and Force Smuggler like this.
  3. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
    The band scene ends with the slave twilek falling into the pit and perishing at the hands of 'something'. This gives the audience a clue as to what lies beneath the palace while also raising the tension of the scene. It's the very definition of foreshadowing. I think the scene also gives the impression that Jabba is a 'king'-like entity complete with loyal subjects and entertainers. It sells him as perhaps a gangster or corrupt politician. The whole thing is necessary albeit a little longwinded after the special editions surfaced. Necessary? Yes. I believe so.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  4. wilsonman1256

wilsonman1256 Jedi Youngling

Jan 11, 2015
    I personally think the whole performance is important. I prefer the old music but the new dance sequence was better. First of all we get a good idea of what Jabba is like before he meets the main characters. From the dance sequence we learn he likes to indulge himself with entertainment, and when he executes Oola we realise how ruthless he is. His execution of her sets up Lukes later battle with the Rancor.

Oola sets up the scene for Leia in this dance sequence as well. Oola's part in this shows Jabba is a perve and ruthless captor. So when he adds Leia to his harem its not surprising as we know from Oola its normal. We also feel worried for her as we know shes in for a rough time.

The other point is that we learn that Jabba and his crew are sadistic and cruel creatures. They enjoy Oolas dance and enjoy her miserable death, this place is dangerous and we know our heroes won't get past Jabba easily.

5. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014
    I just watched the SE scene for the first time in years and the CGI Sy Snootles has dated so much worse than the original puppet, even with the lack of mobility.

AndyLGR and sarlaccsaurs-rex like this.
  6. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    I personally did't think it was needed, though never minded it that much as it was pretty short. Though I do think the SE version is rather cringe worthy.

7. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    Adding to Oola's importance: without her, would the Twi'lek species be as popular as it is today? I don't think so. :p

8. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    When the Joe Cocker alien starts Jedi Rocks that's my queue to hit fast forward or get something to drink

9. DarthSheev

DarthSheev Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 9, 2015
    Absolutely unnecessary. Original scene (Lapti Nek) was far better. Made it look like Jabba's Palace was a seedy, dangerous place. Jedi Rocks makes it look like an outer space discotheque.

solo77 likes this.
  10. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    no it wasn't at all necessary

now I've got that blasted "song" stuck in my head...

11. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    "Ooh! A dancer!" -- little girl me, excited to see Oola. Twi'leks are so iconic now, so I'm glad she and her scene exist, necessity or no. (Okay, Bib Fortuna was present on the barge too, but sorry buddy -- the striking ladies are what makes your species memorable for the general audience, in both ROTJ and the PT.)

As for the SE character additions -- I like the designs of Rystáll, Greeata, and Lyn Me, but I don't care for the 3D renders of Joh Yowza and Sy Snootles. Sy Snootles' original puppet was awful too, though, so I'm ambivalent. I wonder what the scene would have looked like with updated puppetry instead of CGI?

I prefer Lapti Nek's scene over that of Jedi Rocks. As others have said, Jedi Rocks is pretty "in your face", even literally so, with its characters mugging for the camera. I want Jabba's ogling and interaction with Oola kept at the forefront, so I feel Lapti Nek had a more appropriate level of presence. The music is now dated, yes, but I still feel that seedy mob club ambiance and alien flair.

To actually answer your question, "Was it needed?" -- I really like wilsonman1256's post here:

And Vthuil made a good point about the SE:

Iron_lord likes this.
  12. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    The scene(s) did give us two hilarious songs for battlefront 2's Mos Eisley jedi assault mode.

Oola and Jabba are the only characters I can stand in that scene. I will admit Femi taylor had the good looks and physical fitness for that role.

Other than the catchiness of Lapti Nek and Oola's fate foreshadowing the danger Leia could have faced, the scene is quite unwatchable and cringeworthy. (Particularly the jedi rocks furball and cgi dancing.)

Thoix Heoro likes this.
  13. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Jedi Rocks is the one scene that keeps me from being completely unequivocally supportive of the OT re-issue and all the new scenes.

14. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I like Jedi Rocks becaause of how Oola's pleading with Jabba gets drowned out by the song. The music is used to cover up what Jabba's doing. It makes it more of a surprise when he opens the trap door to me.

15. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I am not necessarily a fan of the musical style of Jedi Rocks, but I didn't like the 70s disco-style Lapti Nek much more either. I felt it should've sounded more otherworldly, like the music they played on the sail barge...

That being said, I did enjoy the extra footage of the band, as well as the various appearances during the Jabba scenes. And although I wouldn't use the word "necessary," I do feel having the Max Rebo band/musical number in ROTJ adds a lot to the exotic cultural experience for the film, as well as the SW universe.

darskpine10 likes this.