Mary Perhaps I'm Being Unfair, But...

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by saerah, May 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kasjedi Jedi Knight

star 1
    FYI - I live in Baltimore (well, temporarily). I'd just like to see us have good feedback before the Sat. meeting - especially from those who can't attend.

kasjedi

2. saerah Chosen One

star 7
    You aren't the only person here that has more then an hour's drive to Baltimore for a meeting.

It's more like 2 hours to Hagerstown, and over three hours to Baltimore. That is a bit much to do back and forth in a day. This isn't suburban, this is rural.

Well, then perhaps there needs to be a new part of the Maryland FanForce created. This seems to be the "Baltimore FanForce," as the title of the forum says.
  3. Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    anyone think Annapolis might be good?...its Maryland's capitol and everything....

4. Mogook Jedi Master

star 4
    I think having an Annapolis fanforce would defeat the purpose. It doesn't address the fact that some people are far away from Baltimore.

"I will not allow this fanforce to be split in two." Well actually, it's not mine to decide. More accurately, I would like if this fanforce wasn't split up. I love the idea of unifying the state. Like someone mentioned above, it keeps us stronger with a large range to select members. If we have different fanforce's, someone might not know which one to join.

But, I completely understand the trouble the far westerners and easterners are having. I think rotating the meeting locations is the best solution. And having a chat setup during the meetings is another wonderful tool.
  5. Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I agree with you....

...but it'd be really easy for me if it was in Annapolis, so I figured I'd try though :p
  6. Mogook Jedi Master

star 4
    No harm in trying. ;)

Actually, this forum seems to be more of an Annapolis fanforce than Baltimore. Well, I guess in some ways.
  7. saerah Chosen One

star 7
    Well, if rotating meeting places would work...I remind you of my suggestion about 'Regional Representatives.' Maryland is a big state. But if the farthest west you guys are going to come is Frederick, then it's not going to work. Usually the fanforces are split into cities or regions for a reason. I'm not trying to be the devil's advocate here, but there are others out here in Western MD. that are interested in the whole Fan Force thing, but are not going to drive 2-3 hours.

8. Mogook Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, I think we'll have to look into the logistics of setting up Regional Representatives and seriously consider it.
  9. saerah Chosen One

star 7
    FanForce is something I am interested in and have much to contribute to, but if I don't feel welcome to, or feel like the entire FanForce for MD. is concentrated downstate, then it isn't worthwhile. I don't want to start arguing over something like this.
  10. Isbeth Force Ghost

star 4
    saerah, you heard Roz, just get two more members where you live and bingo, you got your own fan force independant of CCFF, Charm City Fan Force.

MuttandSolo, thanks for pointing out my devotion to FF. You never heard me complaining about driving 90 minutes to Baltimore. Nor do you hear me complaining about being in a Maryland group when I am from WV or complaining about the Maryland icon or the Maryland t-shirt. Heck, I am just happy you guys will have me in your FF even though I am out of state. I feel lucky to have met all of you. :D
  11. Mogook Jedi Master

star 4
    I think it would be great to have saerah as a member and we should do our best to accomodate everyone.
  12. DRK_HLMT Force Ghost

star 4
    Regional Fanforces aren't rare for states and it would be great to get a regional Fanforce. It could only make our group grow. So saerah, if you want to head up a regional Fanforce, then we'll back you up all the way. Just PM Rox, who posts on here frequently and is an Admin. He can petition TF.N Fanforce to give you guys your own forum and after 3 meetings you guys can become charter members. Our Fanforce is not limited to only Baltimore residents and anyone who wants to join can join us. Like Isbeth said, she is from WV and travels up to our meetings. If you can set up a regional Fanforce in your area, then we might get even more people who were afraid to join because of the distance thing.

13. MuttandSolo Jedi Master

star 4
    Saerah,

The point I was trying to make is that we are all not from Baltimore, we just tend to set our meetings there.

As for Marylnd being a "large" state, I sense a great disturbance in your knowledge of geography. Maryland is by no means a big state. I've been to the biggest states, Maryland is a parking lot, comparatively.
  14. saerah Chosen One

star 7
    There is no disturbance in my knowledge of geography, dear. I'm not comparing Maryland to Texas, but me saying that Maryland is a large state is that to have one Fan Force to encompass it with meetings mainly downstate is not proper representation. I'm not some kid wet behind the ears.

I wouldn't care if I had to drive 90 minutes, Isbeth, that would be fine. But to drive in excess of three hours? Sorry, I don't have the time or the money to do that.

It seems that this is becoming a bit too much...my goal is not to head my own regional fanforce because I don't have the time. But I wanted to be involved in a Fan Force that bares the name of the state that I do indeed live in. I mean, that would be the Fan Force I join. Instead I should just join one in Florida as I visit my sister there often. Maybe that would be a better idea.

Blah.
  15. Mogook Jedi Master

star 4
    saerah, at the next meeting we're gonna discuss how to have different locations to meet.
  16. DRK_HLMT Force Ghost

star 4
    saerah, there aren't any states (none that I'm aware of) that has a Fanforce that has just the state name. Each Fanforce comes from a city within that state, mostly the larger ones and the members travel to those meetings. I've talked to some members from the Sacramento Fanforce and they have members driving 3 to 4 hours to meetings. That's their choice though since Cali has many regional Fanforce chapters there. They still call themselves the California Fanforce Sacramento Chapter just like our Fanforce is the Baltimore Chapter of the Maryland Fanforce. If you don't want to head up a regional Fanforce then ask someone around your area if they would be interested in creating one. There could never be just a Maryland Fanforce to encompass the whole state since, like you said, it is a large state and even if we were to have a centralized location for meetings, there would still be people driving hours to get to it.
  17. Motterman Force Ghost

star 2
    Try other ways to contact Star Wars fans in your area. Hand out fliers on opening night for Episode II. Post more fliers at the local comic shops. Go to various other message boards and start recruiting there....

Just some ideas to help you out...

Ian
  18. saerah Chosen One

star 7
    Tell me what's discussed/decided at the meeting this weekend. I'll go from there.
  19. Fipe_Naz-mero Jedi Knight

star 2
    Dear Members of the CCCF:
    Let's meditate a moment in the ways of the Force to find a solution for all of our Brothers and Sisters....

"To the Force you must listen."

This is what I propose to try to find a solution. I do not want to divide our numbers, but even the Great Jedi Order did it in order to maintain the balance of the Force through the Galaxy. This doesn't mean that is mandatory to anyone, but surely will be more comfortable to everybody.

Maryland is big, and there's no reason to fight or argument about it. I just move to this state about 1 year and 4 months ago. So you have to spare me with the form I will try this approach. My idea consists of forming 5 sub-forums (clans, groups, etc.) and one main Forum.

The Main one will be the one that is created right now, thus leaving this Brothers and Sisters as our guidance for all the others forums.

The East group can be composed of all the east coast of MD. I mean all the part of MD that is located at the east side of the Bay Bridge. I know it might still be big, but just follow me for the moment.

The South group can be composed of all of Southern MD area (Tri-County Area: St. Charles, St. Mary's, Calvert Counties, etc).

The West side can be composed of all the counties within the west side of MD.

The North group can be formed by all the counties the lie within the North region of MD.

And for last, the Center group which of course can be formed by the counties in the center of MD.

By trying to forming this groups we can have complete access to all Star Wars fans and at the same time we can still be one big family after all. If each group can become an official forum, approved by ADMIN POWERS :D then we can create an annual or semi-annual MARYLAND FAN SITE MEETING. This way we can get together and meet all of our Brothers and Sisters from around MD.

"There is another...Skyy...waaal...keeerhhh"

Dear Brother and Sisters, this is just and idea that I had been formulating but I didn't brought it before because I planned on bring it on the meeting. But since I'm in the Hospital I won't be able to attend. :_| I'm really sorry for this. I was planning for this meeting for two months now. But my health asks for a break. I might just throw myself in a Bacta Tank to heal. :D

I ask from you to listen, read and meditate on this idea. And is just an idea. It can be modified, accepted or rejected. But I believe that this give everybody a chance to be part of the great family of STAR WARS.

I'm expecting to leave the Hospital around Sunday. So, if any one can say a prayer for me so everything comes out fine I would really appreciate it. I'm sad that I won't be able to go to the meeting and even more sad that I won't be able to show my lightsabers to you.

May the Force be with you...always.
    Fipe Naz-Mero, JK
    USA-NE REGION
    CHARM CITY COUNCIL FORUM
    CALIFORNIA MD
  20. Isbeth Force Ghost

star 4
    Use those Jedi healing techniques Fipe.
    Saerah, we always post what went on in our meeting and we have many people we consider full fledged members who never come to our meetings but always join us here on the boards...take DarthSapient for example. Will somebody take him? Please.... [face_laugh]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.