main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Perhaps They're in Need of a Gardener (short)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by PadawanRoo, Jan 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PadawanRoo

PadawanRoo Jedi Master star 1

Aug 7, 2003
    A former Jedi student's reflection on the rise and fall of the empire.

Primary characters: OC.
    Secondary: Jocasta Nu, Yoda

Perhaps They?re in Need of a Gardener
    By PadawanRoo

I was halfway across the galaxy when the temple was destroyed, but I knew. I felt it in my very bones. That's all I had, that feeling.
    No one dared question it. No one dared mourn.

There was talk, of course. Hints of the Empire's growing power and rumors of the Jedi's fate came as whispers in the night. But only whispers: a snatch of conversation on the tram; an announcer's brief pause in the middle of a newsbreak; a timed sigh; a hidden tear. And that was all.

They had forgotten that the Temple had once been my home. They had forgotten what it was like to live in a galaxy where it wasn't dangerous to remember. There were days I thought I didn't have the courage myself- when I wanted nothing more than the sweet safety of absent-mindedness. But now I am glad that I can still recall my youth.

I was a happy child: bright eyed, well-behaved, and always smiling. My passion for discovery defined my existence, and I was always eager to learn. I loved the Jedi temple. I loved the gardens and the people and the views and the fountains. But my spare moments were never dedicated to my studies, and I knew I would never be a knight even before the council told me. Despite their best efforts, my interest in growing things far outweighed my interest in lightsabers and diplomacy.

There was a tournament the month before my thirteenth birthday. Everyone told me how important it was that I do well. Master Windu himself came and sparred with me, and told me how much they all hoped I would succeed.

I didn't go. I took off my shoes and walked barefoot down the planters in the corridor, feeling the soil in my toes. I'd never seen Mistress Jocasta Nu look so annoyed at anything as when she found me there, up to my ankles in soil and ignoring the sounds of the tournament drifting down the hall. She expelled me from the garden pots without so much as a second thought and ordered me to the tourney. I snuck away a few moments later and hid in the Room of A Thousand Fountains. When he found me, Master Yoda didn't even bother lecturing me. "Noticed, your absence was," he told me, but that was all he said.

So shortly after my thirteenth birthday, with a song in my heart, I was sent on my merry way to begin a new life in the Agricultural Corps.

And seven years later, I awoke on the eve of my twentieth birthday, and I knew. The Jedi Purges had begun.

I left shortly thereafter; afraid the Empire and its many servants might come looking for me. With nothing but the clothes on my back and a lightsaber I dared not show anyone, I wandered the galaxy alone. Alderaan, Corellia, Talos, Naboo... I?ve seen them all. I hid in the open country, burying my past like a seed that could not grow until the weather changed. I took my refuge in the soil, spending my days amongst the green things that I loved so dearly, and my nights weeping for the souls lost, worrying as I watched the galaxy plunge into darkness.

Whispers reached me of a growing rebellion, and sometimes, in the evenings, away from prying eyes, I would take out my sword and practice. I thought perhaps I could help. Perhaps I could show the galaxy that there were still guardians of peace and justice in this world.

But my days as a Jedi had ended, and I was not arrogant enough to believe that I could conjure up millennia of lost wisdom simply by picking up a sword and calling myself a Knight. The rebels had my produce when they wanted it, my cellar when they needed it, and my unwavering support for their cause. I planted my seeds, and prayed the day would come when some of them would grow to see freedom return to the galaxy.

I am nearing seventy now, but time has been kind to me. The Empire is gone; peace and justice have been welcomed back to the galaxy with open arms; and the Jedi Order is flourishing again, under the leadership of Master Yoda?s fina

2. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I liked this a lot. The knowledge that the child really wanted to go to the Agri-Corps, that he knew that was what was best for him was quite endearing. That he could hide in "plain" sight because of his calling was a good touch. And I liked the ending, that he would go to the new Jedi Temple to help.

Good job with this.

3. PadawanRoo

Aug 7, 2003
    Thanks so much for your comments.

I actually wrote the first draft of this shortly after finishing the cover art for Naboos_Princess's They Let Me See The Stars At Night, so I should drop her some credit for the inspiration to write an 'average joe' story. Looking back at it, that's probably why the titles are so similar in style.

And of course a thank-you to padawan lunetta for convincing me to get over myself and actually put up a story.

4. GuerreStellari

GuerreStellari Jedi Master star 2

Nov 23, 2003
    Very nice story, I liked this a lot. Well-written and touching. Nice one.

5. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    I really liked this story. I liked the way the main character realized that his talents could be helpful to the rebellion, even without using a lightsaber.

6. Jedi_Trevor_GulDan

Jedi_Trevor_GulDan Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 17, 2003
    What a great read! Someone with enough vision and insight to know where he/she is needed. Great story! I'd like to see more like this..

7. Les_Wanderer

Les_Wanderer Jedi Master star 1

Oct 28, 2003
    Wow! This was so cool! I really liked it.

8. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Nicely done, Roo. The perspective was really original. I liked that a kid had more interest in growing plants and other things rather than swinging a lightsabre. What a switch from most kids. :D Hope to see more from you soon!

Shaindl

9. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Roo! Hiding your light under a bushel? This was wonderful, a gentle and lovely vignette! Can we hope to see more from you, hm? I liked the "average Joe" narrator, too, a nice change of pace.

Lunetta, keep encouraging her! :)

10. PadawanRoo

Aug 7, 2003
    Many thanks to everyone for their kind words-- I certainly didn't expect to get this much of a response to my first posted fic.

My major project right now is a much longer fic that won't be ready for posting for some time, but I shall see about trying to write something postworthy in the interim.

11. PadawanRoo

Aug 7, 2003
    Hmm...

When I submitted this to the archive a while back (several months ago at least), it got rejected for pacing problems. I tried my best to patch it up before posting it here. Would anyone be willing to beta it for me? I'd welcome any comments anyone has on how to improve it.

apologies for the unearned up.

~Roo

12. Lorax

Lorax Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 1, 2003
    Unearned up? If you hadn't upped it, I wouldn't have seen it. Lovely piece! I particularly liked the part where Jocasta Nu wasn't to thrilled to see her ankle deep in soil. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.