main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Perhaps Vader is more powerful than we think

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by ST-TPM-ASF-TNE, Aug 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    I was thinking about the fact that only living beings can summon the Force in Star Wars, and not machines (like droids for instance). Because of that fact, that makes me think Vader in the OT is far more powerful than we've imagined. He may not show super-duper amazing powers, but simply the fact that he can still summon the Force to the extent he has in the OT proves (in my mind) that he's extremely powerful. Machines can't call to the Force, and Vader in the OT is more "machine than man". From what I understand, about 80% or more of Vader in the OT is a machine. So I think that makes Vader all the more powerful (and much cooler) considering despite being mostly a machine by the OT, that he can still call to the Force and use it well and strongly.

This makes me think that if Anakin hadn't been injured and did not don the Vader suite, that he could have become a force user who's powers could have rivaled that of Mace Windu, Count Dooku, or even Yoda.

2. Sithrandir

Sithrandir Jedi Youngling

Jul 24, 2003
    I don't think that living body mass is directly related to ability in the Force-- bigger people aren't more powerful Jedi, getting an arm cut off doesn't weaken your power. Anakin still has a human brain and is for this purpose a true human, with full ability in the Force. True, he doesn't display it as much-- in his saber fights, he is hampered by his mechanical body and the fact that he's not fighting for the kill. But compare his feats of sheer force power: he alone can force choke people, and during the duel with Luke in ESB he effortlessly sent half a dozen heavy objects flying at his son WHILE HE WAS BUSY DUELING. Yoda himself showed some strain at repelling the stuff Dooku chucked at him in AotC without having to worry about using his saber simultaneously.

3. DarthBurns

DarthBurns Jedi Master star 4

Apr 28, 2001
    Sithrandir has the gist of it.

Force power isn't linked to body mass, but instead it is all about the concentration of midichlorians in the blood.

For example, Ki-Adi-Mundi is around 7ft tall, but is not nearly as powerful as Yoda who is less than half his size.

4. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    This is an interesting take. Sithrandir makes some good points. Although most of his body is destroyed, his brain and soul are still intact and this is where his Force power comes from. Anakin's strength in the Force enables him to keep his mangled and mechanical body alive and functional, to handle the pain of his injuries and possibly to emotionally deal with what he'll lose in Ep III.
    Just how powerful is Anakin? Would a weaker Jedi (or Sith) be able to cope with what Anakin suffers? Possibly not.

5. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    Vader is the Choosen one and he is surposed to be very powerfull.

6. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    I understand what you're saying, but take this example for instance. Remember in ANH when Vader chokes one of the Imperials at the conference on the Death Star? Vader choked the Imperial using his mechanical arm. He can control the force through his machinery. I think that's quite impressive.

7. RKMeibalane

RKMeibalane Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2002
    What you say is true, but Luke also displays an ability to use the Force in spite of mechanical devices. More than once in ROTJ, he summons his lightsaber to his right hand, which is mechanical.

Therefore, I think using the Force has more to do with the concerntration of midi-chlorians than it does with size or the amount of living tissue one possesses. If that were the case, then Jabba "the Hutt" would have been able to use the Force as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.