main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Persona (New Challenge Thread -- Bounty Hunter Challenge)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by karebear214, Mar 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. karebear214

karebear214 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2002
    This vignette is many things. First and foremost, it is a response to The New Challenge Thread. It is also a prologue to a Dark Luke AU that lives in my head and may or may not actually get written. It's also the first time I've ever seriously written Mara, and proof that it is possible to have Mara and Luke be the main characters in a story without being romantically involved. I'm not sure if the flow is exactly as smooth as I want it to be, but at 4 in the morning, it's as good as it's going to get. As always, feedback is much appreciated.

There was no reflection in the mirror that was familiar. She wore so many guises, worked so many covers, that even her own natural red-gold hair and green eyes were so seldom seen they did not seem particularly right. She changed identities the way others might change undergarments, she was somebody different every day. Today it was Bryne Kexxlin, a rising star in the selected niche of the galaxy's underworld that was the bounty hunting community.

Her wavy dark hair tumbled to the middle of her back until she pulled it up into a functional ponytail. A few loose strands slipped out, but she left them where they were, just visible at the edge of her peripheral vision, slightly obstructed by the silver contacts she was wearing. Not enough to matter though. She checked her weapons, the obvious blaster she wore strapped to her hip, the less obvious one hidden in a wrist holster, and a couple of vibroblades, also concealed.

Taking a deep breath, she stepped into the oven-like heat of the Tatooine desert. Making sure the owner of this particular docking bay was aware of the extremely unfortunate consequences should anyone come within two meters of her ship, she ducked into the cool relief of the nearest cantina.

Her target would be here, sooner or later, but he was just an added bonus. A criminal haven like Mos Eisley would certainly be overflowing with information, for those who knew where to look and what to pay. Stepping up to the bar, she ordered a mildly alcoholic beverage. There was no point in losing her edge. Drink in hand, she made herself comfortable in a corner booth from which she had a perfect view of the entrance.

The suns were setting and her table had a decent collection of glasses when the target made his appearance. He was just a kid, though older than she was. Old enough. To tell the truth, she wasn't sure if she would have had a problem even collecting a toddler. She herself had been adopted by the Empire when she was very young, and she couldn't imagine anything else. In the past decade, she'd been trained in all manner of military planning and tactics, weaponry, concealment and disguise. Even a few Jedi exercises. And she'd learned that nothing was more important than protecting the family. The Emperor was the closest thing to a father she'd ever had, and like all children, she clung to her belief in his infallibility. Certainly the galaxy was a better place now that the Empire was in charge. Her bedtime stories told of knights in shining white armor rescuing the downtrodden from chaos and a corrupt government.

Older now, she knew the truth - corruption and injustice still existed, her current persona was proof enough of that. Yet she did her part to support the greater good.

The blond-haired teen was dangerous. He was Force-sensitive, and to leave him untrained and unchecked would be to allow him to harm others. So she would bring him home. She wasn't naive enough to think he wouldn't be killed if necessary, but he was a valuable resource, and his death would be a last resort.

She'd been analyzing him as he sat at the bar, consuming his first drink, making sure there wasn't too much more to him than met the eye. As he finished the glass, she casually dropped into the free stool to his left and flashed a smile.

"Hey farmboy. Can I buy your refill?"

"Isn't that my job?" he asked with a goofy

2. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    I especially liked how you described Mara as not even recognizing her own self anymore. Something quite sad in that.

The Emperor was the closest thing to a father she'd ever had, and like all children, she clung to her belief in his infallibility. Certainly the galaxy was a better place now that the Empire was in charge. Her bedtime stories told of knights in shining white armor rescuing the downtrodden from chaos and a corrupt government.

That was so eerie.

"I've hit my limit. Besides - " In one quick motion, she drew her gun, set to stun mode, and knocked him to the floor in a blast of blue light. She called in her backup and smirked at the unconscious form. "Chivalry is dead."

I loved that last line.

Great job! :)

3. Arin_Atona

Arin_Atona Jedi Master star 4

Jul 10, 2004
    Ooh... I hope you get around to writing the rest of the story bouncing around in your head, because this is a great opener.

So Mara got to Luke... Vader's certainly in for a surprise.

: The sun was setting

Quick note: There are two suns there ;)

: Older now, she knew the truth - corruption and injustice still existed, her current persona was proof enough of that. Yet she did her part to support the greater good.

Let the end justify the means... definitely the Empire's motto, though they seldom get the end right, either.

: She called in her backup and smirked at the unconscious form. "Chivalry is dead."

Ouch.

4. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I loved the last line, loved the development of the alter-ego and not recognizing self.

5. karebear214

karebear214 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2002
    Gina: I'm not sure where exactly my twist on "knights in shining armor" came from, but this story was partially inspired by the fact that I had just finished watching an episode of Babylon 5 that had to do with the Psi Corps, and with their training young children "protect the family" at any cost. Rather similar to the Jedi in the no-contact rule. It's an interesting thing to explore. Anyway, I figured stories are always a good way to get to kids.

Arin: Quick note: There are two suns there

Good catch. I shall fix it. I don't know if I stated it, but I punched this thing out at 4 AM on one of my insomniac nights. There are good and bad things about that writing strategy.

As for the last line, that was completely a spur-of-the-moment spark of beautiful inspiration.

6. JediPrissyPants

JediPrissyPants Jedi Youngling

Mar 14, 2005
    Loved it! Very nicely done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.