main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Personal Computer Defence Force

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Jedi Bib, Aug 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Bib

Jedi Bib Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 16, 2000
    We're all screw.

2. jebadia

jebadia Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2001
    I am just glad that their is a PC Greek nerd sanctuary. I just don't feel safe in the game forum with the likes of darth han wandering around. Everytime I read on of his posts I lose a few I.Q. points. If he screws up my next semester of college I'm gonna sue!

3. jebadia

May 30, 2001
    Well after some diligent research I found out what darth_han does for a living. He is a Japanese to English translator for Japanese companies. Here is some of his better work

4. heavygear6

heavygear6 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 11, 2001
    The only console worth buying is the X-box. And some one made a good point somewhere that said "Can we really trust Bill Gates?"

Personally I prefer comp. I have over 300 games.

My favs being:
    StarCraft
    Alien vs. Predator
    Homeworld
    Driver
    HALF LIFE
    Magic & Mayhem
    Nox
    FF7 & 8
    Theif 1 & 2
    ect. ect.

5. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    X-box is just a low powered PC. I am thinking we will see a lot of PC ports of X-box games and vice virsa.

6. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    Glad to see I'm not the only PC gamer! ;)

7. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    GO PAT BASH THAT BOX!

Can't stand that bloody Bill Gates me.

8. Padawan716

Padawan716 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 7, 2001
    If PCs weren't so expensive, maybe they'd actually be good for something :) ;)

9. El_Emperador

El_Emperador Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 18, 2001
    LOL jebadia

"Auto Rock!"

10. Darth-Hannibal

Darth-Hannibal Jedi Youngling star 2

May 13, 2001
    PCs are so expensive BECAUSE they're good for EVERYTHING!

Come to think of it, they're not really all that expensive at all these days.

11. pat-fett

Mar 17, 2001
    If you want top performance it is.

12. Darth-Hannibal

Darth-Hannibal Jedi Youngling star 2

May 13, 2001
    Inarguable, but in the argument of console vs. PC, you don't pay a great deal more for a PC that is as powerful as even the most accomplished of the current generation of consoles.

I know this example is out of date, but look at Rogue Squadron. You look at it on the N64, it's great. You look at it on even a low-end computer by today's standards, it looks magnificent. You won't go back to the N64.

Let's face it, you get what you pay for. You buy a console, great. But you need a TV to use with it. If you want a decent one, that's gonna cost you a fair whack. If you want to take full advantage of the capabilities of, say, the PS2, then you would do well to get hold of a set of surround speakers too.

For this kind of top quality console rig, then you're not paying a whole lot less than you would for a PC, especially if you find a great deal on Ebay or the like. :D These days people are falling over themselves to sell you a PC. For one thing, even if you buy what is considered a low-end model today, you're still going to get a unit that will happily play games that hit the market over the next couple of years, because of the sheer quality of what PC technology has evolved into. Which is good for Star Wars fans, seeing the games that are just around the corner. :)

Even though consoles are including facilities such as DVD playing and internet & e-mail, this is somthing that even low-end computers have been doing for three or four years, just as capably.

If all you want is to play your new copy of Starfighter, send a few emails and watch the odd DVD, then by all means invest in a console, and enjoy it. But lets not pretend a console can do anything a PC can't. Except turn you into Darth_Han. ;)

13. pat-fett

Mar 17, 2001
    ME OWN PS@. IS GREAT. YOU ALL GREEKS. :p

Seriously, you make good points. An example for my PS2 I had to buy a monster Cable just to get the graphics at a exceptable level. Plus as you said I bought the new Klipsch 5.1s to improve the dvd sound. The funny thing is that I mostly only use two of the speackers for my PC,no sound card, which is fine by me because I planned on getting these speackers for when I built my custom PC. Next thing I will get is a sound card.

On a side note I found something interesting. I recently bought the original X-wing game off e-bay in order to get the Farlander Papers story. The guy included everything that came with the game. Of interest is a newspaper from Lucas Arts called The Adventurer num.5 fall 1992. The two main articles were about the X-wing game and Maniac Mansion2. What is more interesting is the prices of games from LA.
    Super Star War SNES 59.95
    Star Wars NES 45.00
    ESB NES 45.00
    X-Wing 1.44 HD 69.95
    Secret Weapons of Luftware New IBM CD-ROM 79.95
    The Secret of Monkey Island IBM CD-ROM 79.95
    Loom IBM CD-ROM with talkie sound 99.95

14. pat-fett

Mar 17, 2001
    Just when you thought the PCDF was safely guarded someone let's thier guard down. That is when Fett strikes.

\\All explosives set Fett triggers from a safe distance.

Muaaahaaahaaaaabraaawaaaahaaaaaa

Gave at the glorious flames and thier beauty of destruction.

15. DUM4

DUM4 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 23, 2000
    *Grabs explosives and puts them in Fett's pants before he detonates them*

16. pat-fett

Mar 17, 2001
    Graps DUM as the explosives go off. Do you feel it? I love it when it burns.

17. DUM4

DUM4 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 23, 2000
    If you have a burning sensation in your pants, you might want to go see a doctor. ;)

18. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
  19. jebadia

May 30, 2001
    They have creams for that.

20. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    You can get the detonator 4's from nvidia now to keep your computar feeling well. I will not provide a link because I will not venture into those servers at this time.

http://www.guru3d.com/download/

Get em there.

21. barnsthefatjedi

barnsthefatjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 17, 2001
    Ah, Games threads. Is it actually possible for a thread to stay on topic around here? I doubt it lol.

22. Jade Skyhiker

Jade Skyhiker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2000
    Stay on topic us? remeber the old days we were never on topic.

23. Rogue-Leader

Rogue-Leader Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2001
    Consoles are superior to the PC!

24. jebadia

May 30, 2001
    //Smack//

25. pat-fett

Mar 17, 2001
    Nah I don't need a doc. I get that burning sensation everytime I see a hotty(Pun intended) or I play with fire. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.