main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Personal energy shields in KOTOR only show up in the game.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Kay Suhyun, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Kay Suhyun

Kay Suhyun Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2013
    Is it safe to say that they are basically just game mechanics, not something to take seriously as a technolgy that can be aplied to frontline sentient soldiers?

2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

It was explained that later Blaster models could just blow through them and that shields would often malfunction killing the wearer in rather gruesome fashion.

3. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    No, they're quite canon, and the in-universe means to justify why everyone's running around with swords again:

"I know it's really none of my business, but you look like someone who might need to purchase one of those new energy shields. They're the latest thing, you know. Very high tech. Oh, okay. Well then, you might be interested in knowing I have one for sale. It isn't cheap, but it could be the difference between life and death.When you use one it surrounds you with a radiant aura-particle mesh that absorbs blaster bolts. Pretty handy in a fight. The shield even protects against lightsabers, or so I hear. The shields aren't perfect, of course. They can only absorb so much energy damage before they burn out, and ion blasters will take your basic dueling shield down pretty quick. And they aren't any good at all against a simple vibroblade. That's why the Sith and the Republic are training their troops in hand-to-hand and melee combat. I've heard rumors of the Echani using shields like this, but I never saw anything like them around here. Not until the Sith came. Where they discovered the technology is anybody's guess. The shields are too rare and too expensive to hand out to an entire army, but a shielded strike team can take out a whole battalion of soliders armed with conventional blasters. It gave the Sith a huge edge in the early battles, but it wasn't long before the Republic was able to copy the technology and come up with energy shields of their own. Now both sides are scrambling to come up with new weapons to slice right through the shields, but until they do you're going to see melee combat coming back to the forefront in this war." -- Some Twi'lek on Taris (I removed all of the protagonist's interjections)

4. Kay Suhyun

Kay Suhyun Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2013
    In SWTOR they realised that it was silly an just went with the usual RPG combat aproach.

5. Tick

Tick Jedi Youngling

Feb 7, 2013
    Still, I remember personal shields being mentioned in the intro for the Colicoid Flashpoint as an example of high-tech equipment the Colicoids are offering, so they might not be part of the gameplay, but are still in use.

6. LivingJediDream

LivingJediDream Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2010
    Tanks in Swtor use personal shields.

7. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I guess if you look at game mechanics, Kyle Katarn uses one because there are both health packs and shield boosters to heal you.

But if you look at canon, it was explained that personal energy shields were found to cause major radiation poison and/or cancer. Read Outbound Flight; they explain that no infantry troops use droideka shields because the radiation killed them. So maybe they didn't realize it when they were made in KOTOR, and this was discovered later (when the galaxy wasn't at war and those who used shields didn't die in battle anyway, and lived long enough to show signs of the poisoning). Then by the time of Kyle Katarn they'd discovered a way to build them without radiation poisoning (kind of like they used to make car fuel with lead and then they changed it to unleaded).

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    They also exist as SWRPG game mechanics, but in the games they can provide a low amount of protection until they burn out. The only shields that are really worth it are for droids, or installed in rather heavy armor suits. So from that, one can conclude that they exist but they're generally not worth it unless you're quite armored in the first place --- and by armored, I mean armored: stormie armor is considered light armor.

9. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    oh stormies...

[​IMG]

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    How different would the saga have been if Luke realized that Kenobi was being sarcastic when he said "only Imperial stormtroopers are so precise" !

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  11. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Bah. Their rep is undeserved. They're only bad at shooting the main characters, and they'd been outright told to let them escape from the Death Star I.

12. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Well at least the Legion the Emperor sent to Endor seemed to be pretty good shoots, just the 501st Vader keeps around seem to be outright terrible. ;)

13. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    It's almost as they were merely civilians wearing home-made armor for show and charities!

14. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    Indeed, and actually, they are rarely shown shooting at all. During the Battle of the Endor shield bunker Stormtroopers shoot a grand total of five times, if I remember correctly, and never at an Ewok.

15. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    My opinion on this is that canon and continuity really shouldn't come in to play here. The shields in KOTOR are just part of the game. As Ulicus said, they had a good, logic based reason for including them, but they still don't really mesh with the Star Wars galaxy as we know it, but that's okay, it's a video game.

When you think of Star Wars, you don't think of people wearing personal shields, because they don't in the movies. Or hardly anything else. You can make up explanations to explain this absence, but it just doesn't mesh well.

16. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    "You don't think of it when thinking of the movies" is an argument that would discard a huge chunk of the EU. I don't see any reason that personal shields existing in the past should be taken out of continuity.

17. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    If a bit of tech from the games cropped up in the films or tv shows I'd be cool with it. But look at KOTOR adavancement. The characters become Christmas trees of magic-tech items.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I mean, everything in a game has to be abstracted somehow. It's an RPG -- the health doesn't directly represent physical health, and damage done by weapons isn't directly corresponding to "real life" either -- how many video games, not just KOTOR, have people surviving lightsabers (or swords, to draw it out of SW) to the face?

Adrian the Cool and CT-867-5309 like this.
  19. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

I didn't say it should be taken out of continuity, I kinda meant the opposite. I meant that people should ignore any feelings of discontinuity with the movies and the rest of the universe, because it's a video game. People should give the game some slack instead of asking why Luke or Han or whoever, whenever, wherever didn't use personal shields. Personal energy shields hardly appear anywhere but games, they aren't in the vast majority of books and comics, so there are a lot of instances where one could ask that question. And they don't just appear in the past, they appear in the Rise of the Empire, the Rebellion and the New Republic era.

What I also mean is that I don't think personal energy shields should become the norm because they're not in the movies and I don't think it reflects the reality of the movies. The same could be said of transporters and time travel. It can be fit into continuity, but with the idea that it should be used sparingly.

That's my take. I mean, I don't really care what is and what isn't really Star Wars, but that's how I feel about shields in KOTOR. That's how I felt when I first played it, I just told myself that it was video game. I don't even care about continuity or canon, because imo it simply doesn't exist for the Star Wars franchise. There is no continuity, there's a ton of discontinuity, and even movie canon isn't sacred, which defeats the purpose.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I dig this idea, should roll with it as an explanation. Blasters got better, sheilds got worse.

21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    In 'The Courtship of Princess Leia' Prince Isolder use a personal energy shield and is described with some weaknesses, to quote –
    "Personal shielding tended to provide minimal protection, because you couldn't get a power source strong enough to deflect enemy fire and still last for more than a moment. The second danger came from the shield itself: the energy shield got so hot that the wielders risked frying themselves if they accidentally touched it."

22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Although that variant of a personal shield, as also described in the EGTW&T, was more like the SW version of a physical shield as opposed to a field that covered the entire body.

23. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    They kinda seem like something that would just be a fad, some company cooks them up to say... protect VIPs from assassination or something, then people notice that you can carve through them with a sword and then they get prolific because of a newfound interest in swordfighting due to nostalgia, like the use of cavalry in WW1.

Then the blaster companies are all like "Okay, party's over" and start making anti-shield blasters. I'd imagine there'd be corporate dust-ups between those that make shields and those that make blasters with them trying to one-up eachother while lots of soldiers get killed in the process.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the military brass hated shields, because they encourage troops to charge into blasterfire like morons.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.