main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NSW Personal news thread - for news that is post-worthy but not thread-worthy

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by JediEnna, Oct 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediEnna

JediEnna Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 25, 2000
    Yay Paul!

I fixed the wedding pics link - it should work now.

2. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Congrats Ki!

3. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    My news is that my TV blew up last night.

Instead of being down about it I have decided that this is a very good reason to go bigger, wider and flatter.

Considering my TV was a cheap $300 51cm it should not be too hard to find something better.

I'm thinking of 76cm Flat widescreen.If anyone has some suggestions I'm all ears, looking to spend around $1000 or so.

4. Brun-Farron

Brun-Farron Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 19, 2004
    i got a $700 76' Teac not too long ago....came with a digital set top box....

my money would be on something the same, but with a High Definition box- if i were to have a second go at it......

..the one i got was only a standard box, and although real cool, i had to wait 8 weeks for it cos i had to send out a redemption form to get it!

so ask questions of those who would sell you something!

questions i will ask, should i next need a tv...

1. what else will you give me if i buy this expensive thing!

2. does it have more than one AV out?!

3. is this on SPECIAL, but only two days AFTER i have bought THIS one?!!!!

4. delivery please! and make it FREE!!!!!

and so on....

:D

EDIT: my news - i FINALLY have the beginings of my Clone Trooper outfit......just the helmet, but making the Blaster this weekend, and maybe the bodyglove....

as to the armor......stoopid postal service....i wait

5. Teknobabel

Teknobabel Jedi Master star 5

Jun 4, 2000
    get a decent 68cm non widescreen now, save your dosh, then get a better widescreen once they phase analog broadcasting out and you can buy a tv with a built in high def tuner

So spake the master....

seriously, if your after a widescreen tv, get one that is digital compatible or it'll be a dud in a few years

if you can find it, try this one

http://www.consumer.philips.com/consumer/catalog/catalog.jsp?fhquery=fh_secondid%3D29pt7321_79r_au_consumer%26fh_location%3D%2F%2Fconsumer%2Fen_AU%2Fcategories%3Ccatalog_au_consumer%2Fcategories%3Ctv_gr_au_consumer%2Fcategories%3Ctv_4_3_ca_au_consumer%26&productId=29PT7321_79R_AU_CONSUMER&activeCategory=TV_GR_AU_CONSUMER&fredhopperpage=detail.jsp&language=en&country=AU&catalogType=CONSUMER&proxybuster=HQBUQ4KDZ1JSJJ0RMRESHQVHKFSEKI5P

I think I broke the hscroll with that one,

or this one

http://www.samsung.com/au/products/tv/flatscreencrt43/cs_29a11hp.asp

The philips is the best, 3yr warranty and all that, will play 576i dtigital tv, so it'll give you digital until you upgrade, the samsung is 2nd best.

don't touch sony, panasonic, teac, rca, sharp.

I haven't mentioned lg cos they haven't got a decent enough 68 or 76cm tv for me to even think about considering them.

The edit starts here

Messicat said...
    1. what else will you give me if i buy this expensive thing!

I have used the following line and had it work, so don't laugh.

expensive? under $1000 ? madam, if you buy that $15000 plasma screen, i'll give you 4 of those tv's for free

This is one area that will depend on how the salesman is feeling at the time, if you've been a great customer from his pov, you may well get a little something ( and I mean little), if you've been a tirekicker / ballbreaker you can just forget it.

2. does it have more than one AV out?!
    Most likely not (only on lcd tv's and so on), if you need more than one AV out, invest in a home theatre setup that can.

3. is this on SPECIAL, but only two days AFTER i have bought THIS one?!!!!

Any written quote that i give is valid until the product goes out of production, and if you buy, my price should be valid for a full or partial refund / exchange in the period set under australian law, change of mind don't count (also, read the back of your receipt in case of any legalese, also read your warranty card and attempt to understand it, repair means repair, it does not mean replace, it does not mean repair and a loaner in the meantime)

4. delivery please! and make it FREE!!!!!
    see post below

6. Teknobabel

Jun 4, 2000
    I broke the hscroll, and i didn't even add in any code to make the link, stupid msg boards

<sings along to nonexistent rhythym>
    I broke the hscroll
    I broke the hscroll
    I broke the hscroll
    </singing>

Always be aware of people offering you free delivery, means they are cutting corners somewhere, at least thats what I believe, if your going to have someone bring a tv/fridge/washer weighing 70kg+ into your house, you'd damn well better hope they are getting enough incentive to not scratch your doorframes (says the person who had to refinish 3 doorframes after the last driver brought in my paren'ts new dinig table) or worse

And remember, always ask if they intend to unpack the tv, if they say no, don't get angry, I can tell you that no driver could afford the insurance to let him do that, so if they say yes, then be thankful and don't ruin the applecart if the tv falls off the stand you asked them to put it on.

oh, and if you live in sydney and need a tv, pm me for a cheap price from a reputable company.

7. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    Thanks for the input guys,

The one I was looking at is the Sanyo CP32WF2, mainly due to the fact that the home theatre system I bought a few months back is Sanyo.

RRP is about $1000, but I believe I can pick one up for $800-$850.

I tried to find a direct link to it but regardless of what your looking at on their site it just says Sanyo.com.au.

The TV only really needs to last me a few years, I've been given the green light to add a decent home theatre when we build a house in about 18-24months, so I can upgrade heavily then.

8. Brun-Farron

Brun-Farron Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 19, 2004
    now i want a plasma.....nngghh!

hope you find what you're after, good sir!

aaaannyyway, i've started my Clone Trooper Blaster....i have NO idea what i'm doing, other than how to burn myself with a hot glue gun....but hey, maybe i might surprise myself....have a look?

big plastic and wood...er, thingy

9. Ki-Bara-Mundi

Ki-Bara-Mundi Jedi Master star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    Went to the If Awards last night. I'm so glad I went for free, it was a B-grade event posing as an star-studded celebration and everyone knew it. Jack Thompson walked by me and I wanted to say "Loved you in Star Wars!" but I held my tongue. ;)

10. Scoot

Scoot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2002
    Well today, my grandpa bought me some sunnies for my 18th on Sunday. Really cool ones. Im happy :D :D

11. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    Well I have decided that the TV mentioned earlier is the one I want, now I'm having trouble finding one anywhere near me.

Grrrr.

12. Teknobabel

Jun 4, 2000
    hehe, it's hard finding that size for that cheap you may have to get the guy you buy it off to order one for you.

13. foxy_kenobi

foxy_kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2000
    I have never seen so much alcohol as I saw last night. Both in my hand and everyone elses! I went to the Liquor Industry Awards ( I was in the Ballroom Milney) and we WON! Well, we won one award, would have been good to win one for Smallbatch, but this thing called "Blue Toungue" won, I think it's a beer from Newcastle.. RIPPED OFF!!!

14. milney

milney Jedi Master star 5

Aug 21, 2003
    I was setting that up for about 5 hours yesterday.

(the disturbing thing was being delayed in security that afternoon for about 10 mins, due to a slight incident involving one of the alchoho delivery trucks, a member of the catering staff and on of the pilons in the loading dock.

Needless to say, there was much dissapointment over the slight dent in the truck)

BTW, were you facing the stage of the ballroom, or the otherway?

15. foxy_kenobi

foxy_kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2000
    I was on the left half of the room and I had a good view of the stage and the wall screen on the left of the stage, so I was facing the stage at the begining but we moved around a lot.

The fashion show was great! The music MC guy at the beginning was too loud though, but after that was good.

I can't believe they ran out of Smirnoff!!!

16. milney

milney Jedi Master star 5

Aug 21, 2003
    Did you notice the stuff left over from the McDonalds Internation Managers Meeting?

17. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    hmm, today i went and saw the Queen musical with my family!!
    (inserts many smily emoticons but too lazy)
    It was bloomin brilliant, by far the best musical i have ever witnessed!!!!

on a totally unrelated subject: Just a thought, anyone got any amusing driving lesson stories??
    I'm almost 17 and i haven't got my L's yet! (after one failure in easter)

18. Scoot

Scoot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2002
    Well today I turned 18, and it was grand :D Lotsa fun :D

OOOooo and Ive finally started driving on my L's :D
    I drove 1.5 Hours 2day, w00t :D

19. Keith_Katarn

Keith_Katarn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Happy Birthday !!

Okay, my news. I got a brand new car this weekend. It's a Holden Astra with automatic, cruise control, power steering, air conditioning, all the bells and whistles. It pretty cool !!

20. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001

I drove 1.5 Hours 2day, w00t

I spent 10 hours driving on Saturday, lol.

Approx. 1075 klms.

21. Kehleyr

Kehleyr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 22, 2001
    I have my L's again. Am currently looking at cars to buy, might book a lesson or 2 as well for this week. If anyone knows of a small automatic for sale under 6k in Sydney that's in good condition, let me know please! :)

22. Ki-Bara-Mundi

Nov 27, 2000
    Are you interested in an 86 Ford Laser? Beautiful car, only $5999. ;)

My big sister was supposed to take me out for drinks on Saturday night to celebrate my new job and my upcoming birthday, but after a day at Nova 969's marquee party she wasn't in any state to be going anywhere. So we partyed on without her. :p

23. Kehleyr

Jul 22, 2001
    eww, that's a lot for a car thats almost 20!!!

24. Ki-Bara-Mundi

Nov 27, 2000
    She's got character and she's starred in a movie. Take it or leave it! :p

25. Kehleyr

Jul 22, 2001
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.