main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

personally the prequels are works of art,a greek tragedy if you will......

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by gtastarwars, Feb 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    One day, one fine day, people will wake up and realise that all 6 films are meant to be one big story. Rather than chopping them up like this.

It's like reading a book and saying "Well, I didn't like chapters 4, 17 and 21 much, and I refuse to read chapters 8 and 12."

2. AssassinDroid21

AssassinDroid21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    Your telling me you've never done that DamonD?

I'll give an example:

I recently read the Hobbit and some chapters not much went on or were too boring for my taste. Others such as when Smaug gets killed are more interesting to me.

I have yet to find anyone who will not watch a SW movie at all or ignore it as you said about the chapters in a book.

And to earlier people that commented on me saying about 90% of the JC likes the OT more than the PT, I never said you like it better, but the majority has said so, as seen in many polls or comments.

3. Pfft

Pfft Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 6, 2003
    The only difference is that a book is written from beginning to end...not half way to end, then beginning to halfway and try and fit it all together with sticky tape.

If it was suppose to be one viewing, the pacing sucks.

4. Emos-Edud

Emos-Edud Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2002
    Pfft,

You ever written a book? Plenty of authors write out of sequence. Some always do the last scenes first, so that they know where they are heading from the beginning.

5. TheFury

TheFury Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 27, 2003
    I agree with the first post.

And I'm a bit disapointed by the bashers ignorance and sweeping generalisations.

6. Pfft

Mar 6, 2003
    "You ever written a book? Plenty of authors write out of sequence. Some always do the last scenes first, so that they know where they are heading from the beginning."

Of course...but the finished product is always cleaned up so the pacing works and the story flows nicely.

If TPM were the first chapter of a new series called 'Star Wars', I think most people would put down the book. ;)

7. MikeSolo

MikeSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    Some people in here need threapy if a movie is causing this much trouble.....Anyways I agree that the PT is a greek tragedy.

Here is a question: If the OT didn't exist and PT was all we knew about Star Wars.. would you still be a Star Wars Fan ?

I would

8. Pfft

Mar 6, 2003
    I doubt SW would have gotten any further than TPM if that was the case.

9. MikeSolo

MikeSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    Thats wonderful I love predictions of possible stuff makes me feel like a kid on xmas morining, but the question was would you still be a fan of Star Wars ? In your case I can see that would be a big no.

10. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    I doubt SW would have gotten any further than TPM if that was the case. ;)
    That's an, ummmmm...rather sweeping generalization, don't you think...?? I'd maybe give some reasons supporting your argument, in one direction or the other, just to keep the conversation along intellectual lines...

11. RoseBlue

RoseBlue Jedi Youngling

Feb 14, 2003
    I agree with the prequels being greek tragedy. Although I am puzzled by those examples on the first post. I was taught that in a greek tragedy a noble person had a tragic flaw and this, put simply, ruined his life. The noble person is Anakin, duh. What do you think is the tragic flaw? I believe it is his unwilliness to let go, to trust that things will work out, especially in regard to people he cares about. Due to this flaw, Anakin's life will go steadly downhill.

I think somebdoy asked if the PT came out first, would it be good. I say yes. I love the PT more then the OT. The only thing I like about the OT is that it ends fairly happily. Other then that, it is OT all the way.

Besides the OT does have more depth to it. It is a tragedy, and it has mythological referenes all over, not to mention courtly love.

12. jedibri

jedibri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2000
    I agree. I love the PT. If you look back at the OT you'll see it's flawed. I get real tired of people saying the acting isn't that great. Well guess what, you should go back and look at the not so great acting from the OT.

I love SW! For all it is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.