Fanclub Peter Cushing Fan Club

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Cushing's Admirer, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Cushing's Admirer Chosen One

star 7
    I like how he talks in general but working and natural is quite different.

Are you speaking of Tarkin? I suspect the line was simply meant to show the Princess doesn't like him.
  2. Darth_Downunder Chosen One

star 5
    No I think he genuinely stank. The Princess could smell him when she was first brought on board. Think about how bad he must be. It's a big station.
  3. Cushing's Admirer Chosen One

star 7
    If you say so. I'm glad Carrie didn't really think so of Peter.
  4. Darth_Downunder Chosen One

star 5
    We don't know that but yes it's more likely that the offensive stench was just part of his character. You can tell some of the officers near him were struggling with the foulness of it.
  5. Cushing's Admirer Chosen One

star 7
    I do know what I said I heard her say so.

Yes, we can assume it was just the character and I still hold it was Leia stating her disdain.
    Barbecue17 likes this.
  6. Darth_Downunder Chosen One

star 5
    Carrie Fisher said that Peter Cushing doesn't stink ??
  7. Cushing's Admirer Chosen One

star 7
    Basically, yes and that he is very mannerly in her own way, I think she was conveying that he is NOT his character and she understood that.
  8. Jedi_Kenobi32 Force Ghost

star 4
    In case you didn't know: Carrie Fisher found the "foul stench" line hard to deliver during her scene with Cushing because A) she found the line ridiculous B) Cushing was such a gentleman off-screen that she found it hard to muster up the same hatred that her character would have for Tarkin and C) Fisher stated that Cushing actually smelled like linen and lavender, which, isn't exactly a foul stench.

I personally had no problem with the foul stench line. I mean Tarkin was pretty much the second most evil villain in Star Wars so Leia taunting him about his odor just fits. I mean why shouldn't a foul man who blows up planets like he's ordering pizza have an equally foul stench? :p

Here's a video of Fisher mentioning that Cushing actually smelled like linen and lavender. She mentions it from 0:03 to 0:08:
  9. Shira A'dola Force Ghost

star 6
    Thanks! This is a fantastic vid!
    Jedi_Kenobi32 likes this.
  10. Kenneth Morgan Chosen One

star 4
    That's just what a princess would say in that situation. A commoner would say something like, "You piece of #$@%!"
  11. Cushing's Admirer Chosen One

star 7
  12. Darth_Downunder Chosen One

star 5
    That's good stuff. As I said above though I didn't think Cushing had a natural foul stench. Tarkin on the other hand was clearly unhygienic or severely flatulent. This probably caused the Death Star explosion to be more severe.
  13. Jedi_Kenobi32 Force Ghost

star 4
    You're welcome @Admiral Volshe and @Dooku-Darklighter. [:D]

:eek: The ultimate plot twist: The Death Star's destruction was made worse because Tarkin ate a burrito right before the Death Star exploded.

What other performances of Cushing would you all say is good or would be among his best?
    Admiral Volshe likes this.
  14. Cushing's Admirer Chosen One

star 7
    [face_laugh]

I would count Abominable Snowman, 1984, Cash on Demand, House that Dripped Blood and Creeping Flesh among them. He likewise did well in The Avengers which was the latest Cushing I saw.
    Shira A'dola likes this.
  15. Shira A'dola Force Ghost

star 6
    Oh you saw the Avengers? I would very much like to see that one!
  16. Cushing's Admirer Chosen One

star 7
    It's on IMDB, Babe. It's called Return of the Cybernaughts. He is not very nice though as usual they made him go against his character badly.
  17. Shira A'dola Force Ghost

star 6
  18. Cushing's Admirer Chosen One

star 7
    You may be 19+ years at your rest, Dear Sir, but you are not forgotten. You have helped me and taught me so very much. I think God for you and look to the day will be healed at last. I continue to strive to honour your memory and I hope I may write a story to express how I admire and respect you. I am glad your suffering has ceased.

Shira A'dola likes this.
  19. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
    Quite possibly my favorite Cushing and Lee collaboration is the one I least expected when it arrived near the end of he and John Carradine's careers. But, House of the Long Shadows was a wonderful curtain call film for so many of that second generation of horror stars to collaborate in.

[IMG]
  20. Cushing's Admirer Chosen One

star 7
    I have to give Long Shadows to Chris. Though I did empathise with Peter's Sebastien all the way up to the end then I felt stupid. :p [face_laugh] One of the few times I was irked by mild Sir that was. I did think it was awesome to see the four gentlemen together though.
  21. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 8
    Alexandre Manette in Tale of Two Cities, on TV in 1980.

Not exactly Tarkin there. The man had a good acting range.
    Last edited by anakinfansince1983, Jan 18, 2014
  22. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
    It was, indeed, out of character for nearly all of them to an extent, which is probably how Sebastien succeeded in surprising audiences. The four gents were splendid in their roles as meek, skittish family in a wretched house. A lot of their acting choices in this film point directly to the superb portrayals of Ernest Thesiger and Eva Moore as the elder children living in complete paranoid dread in The Old Dark House.

Oh, Tale of Two Cities from '80 was a brilliant performance.
    Last edited by A Chorus of Disapproval, Jan 18, 2014
  23. Cushing's Admirer Chosen One

star 7
    I haven't seen that yet, Anakinfan. What was he like in it and what stood out to you? :)

Agreed. For me, it was Chris that clued me in but I was still a bit rather annoyed the elders duped me. I'm usually pretty good at reading things. :p Shouting at Peter 'Is there a key?!' was the first then what he did with the axe was the almost 'oh, of course' moment.
    Last edited by Cushing's Admirer, Jan 18, 2014
  24. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 8
    He pulled off Manette's agony very well. We're talking about a guy who had been in solitary confinement in the Bastille for 16 years for pissing off the wrong aristocrat. He had gone insane for the most part but was able to return to sanity; he was even able to defend in court the aristocrat that his daughter loved, although it obviously pained him.

It's worth a watch, you can probably find it online.
  25. Antlers Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    Hello there. I'm a pretty fresh but devoted Cushing fan. I come bearing artistic evidence of my admiration for the man! This is my second drawing of Cushing, and certainly won't be the last. This outfit is from Curse.

[IMG]
    See the larger version.