main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Peter Cushing... more famous for Tarkin or horror?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Ellen Joan Sparling, Oct 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ellen Joan Sparling

Ellen Joan Sparling Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 12, 2013
    It was argued to me that Cushing is still most famous for his horror films but I would postulate that to people who don't watch or know of old horror films from the fifties and sixties (or to people who are young enough that, to them, "old horror film" means "A Nightmare on Elm Street") that Tarkin would be the role they associate Cushing with.

what do people think?

2. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    To be honest I first found out about him via A New Hope and did't know about his horror films for a while, but it is kinda hard to tell seeing how both star wars and horror films is were he is most well known for. I would have to say star wars but I could be wrong seeing how star wars is the only thing I saw him in , good actor though.

3. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    I agree with you. I was 6 when ANH premiered in '77, and had no idea who Peter Cushing was at that time - I hadn't seen any of his Hammer horror films (and still haven't, to be honest).

So, I definitely associate PC with Tarkin, first and foremost. I'm guessing that those fans in my age group (and those much younger) would feel the same way...

Same with Alec Guiness - I primarily associate him with the role of Obi wan, since when ANH came out I was too young to have seen him in any other films - subsequent to that time I did see Bridge on the River Kwai & TInker Tailor Soldier Spy, both of which were excellent...

darth car likes this.
  4. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    I knew Peter Cushing from Hammer Horror films well before I discovered Star Wars (and I'm a youngun...kind of). By the time I got around to seeing Star Wars for the first time, I was like, "Hey, Peter Cushing! They got Van Helsing to be in this. Neat!"

Imagine the joy I felt when Dracula himself showed up in Episode II. ;)

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  5. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    I bet the answer to that question would be heavily influenced by which side of the pond you live on. As much as I like the character of Tarkin, I confess to being woefully ignorant of Cushing's other roles. At least with Guinness, I have Bridge on the River Kwai and Cromwell in my blu-ray collection.

TX-20 likes this.
  6. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I'd say that right now he's most well known as Tarkin, because many of the fans who knew him well as a horror actor before ANH are, well, no longer with us. Probably even twenty years ago he was probably as well known around the world for his horror work.

7. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I associate Sir with class and talent.

8. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    Now here's someone who would have a pretty well informed opinion on the matter. What do you reckon, Cushy? Which role would he be most well known for?

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  9. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Thanks, Yak. :) I think it likely depends on generation of initial exposure. If you begin with his work in the fifties either 1984, Frankenstein, or Van Helsing. If you begin in the later years likely Tarkin or Tales of the Unexpected, or A Tale of Two Cities. Tarkin was my first Sir part.

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  10. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    I remember when Star Wars first came out, my parents talking about Sir Peter and Sir Alec and remembering their earlier roles. They're both in their seventies now.

11. DustingCropsBoy_

DustingCropsBoy_ Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 27, 2011

Cushing's two appearances as Doctor Who beat all those parts for exposure. Hammer horrors are a cult thing, and 1950s TV plays are all but forgotten, but kids have been watching him fighting Daleks on TV for nearly 50 years and those movies are still regularly shown to this day.

Shira A'dola likes this.
  12. DustingCropsBoy_

Feb 27, 2011

Peter Cushing was never knighted, so was not a "Sir". A terrible oversight, in my opinion, but he was never Sir Peter.

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  13. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    Well blow me down with a feather. I could've sworn it, but you're dead right. An OBE was as far as he got.

14. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    Depends on who you ask.

15. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I simply call him Sir out of respect. I care not about rank. Many don't even know he did Doctor Who.

MOC Yak Face and Seagoat like this.
  16. DustingCropsBoy_

Feb 27, 2011

Quite true that many people won't know Peter did "Doctor Who", but the role is still second only to "Star Wars" for giving him wide exposure across the decades. "1984" or "Tales of the Unexpected" or almost anything else would be known to a vanishingly small degree compared to the Doctor Who movies. The Hammer roles did make a lasting impression among the older section of the public [and among a small number of young followers with impeccable taste!] but those Dalek movies have been playing to all ages around the world on cinema and TV through the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s, and even now in the 10s.

As for "Sir":
    Calling him "Mr Cushing" [or Peter Cushing OBE] would be respectful; bestowing an imaginary knighthood and calling him "Sir Peter Cushing" is actually very disrespectful. I'm sure it is meant in a positive way and it may be a cultural misunderstanding, but calling an Englishman "Sir _____ " when they are in fact only a plain "Mr _____ " is generally seen as humiliating, even insulting, for that person! Doing it to someone posthumously is really cringeworthy.

Peter is in no position to complain of course, so I suppose anyone is free to call him whatever they want to. I like "Lord Cushing of Hammer" myself. :)

17. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    As far as I'm aware, though, Cushy tends not to refer to Mr Cushing OBE as "Sir Peter" or "Sir Peter Cushing", but rather just as "Sir", which is a more general indication of respect and reverence, rather than an assumption of title of rank. It was I, the ignorant and uninformed forum moderator, who referred to him as "Sir Peter".

Pensivia likes this.
  18. DustingCropsBoy_

Feb 27, 2011

Well, it's in the signature, in a blue font; "Sir Peter Cushing". Like I said, I'm sure it is meant affectionately, but it is very poor form. If there was a deceased scientist I admired, it would hardly be to his credit proclaiming him "Winner of the Nobel Prize for Physics, Bob Smith" if he was never awarded that honour.

19. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    Well, take it as a slur on the guy if you wish, but from where I stand, if there's anyone here who is anything but disrespectful towards Peter Cushing, OBE, Sir, or whatever he's called, it's Cushy.

Pensivia and Cushing's Admirer like this.
  20. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    @ DustingCropsBoy_: I'm sorry I seem to have irritated you but Yak is correct I often simply call Peter, Sir. I do call him Sir Peter at times, but it is not dishonestly meant as you seem to take it. Good evening.

Thanks for the support, Yak. [:D]

21. Malcolm Reynolds

Malcolm Reynolds Jedi Master star 5

Sep 2, 2013
    I thinkit is honorable that Cushy calls Peter Sir. It is just a show of respect and admiration.

Seagoat and Cushing's Admirer like this.
  22. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I've been aware of his horror films for years, and have seen bits and pieces of them. I've also known about him playing Dr. Who. His role as Tarkin was the spark that got me to do the research into his other roles. It was a bit of a task back in the day when I was younger and didn't have internet at that point in time. I would say that Peter Cushing would be more known more his Hammer picture roles, but Star Wars would catch the eyes of a younger person. It depends on the person I guess.

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  23. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 19, 2003
    Saw this years before I saw Star Wars:

It gets even better when Kojak boards the train!

24. DustingCropsBoy_

Feb 27, 2011

I'm sure there's no ill will in the usage, but it is ill-judged.

As for Peter's fame, after the "big three" of Hammer, Who, and SW, in the UK he is often best remembered not for any of his other acting roles but for his appearance on "Jim'll Fix It" in the 1970s [although that show is now certain to never again leave the BBC archive, so if the Peter Cushing episode isn't already on the web somewhere, it never will be!].

25. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 19, 2003
    You also have this from the totally awesome Top Secret! movie:

Interestingly enough, Cushing resembles the Clive Revill emperor with that eye.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.