main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Peter David?

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Manisphere, Jun 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    I was thinking of taking a plunge into his New Frontiers series. Has anyone read his stuff? I can't get an unbiased opinion on a Trek board. They love him like TFN Lit loves Stover.:p

I hear he's great on character and short on sci-fi. Any opinions? It's a real investment of time and money trying to track all of those out of print books.

2. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I've never read any of his novels but I've read some of his comics; Incredible Hulk, She-Hulk, Madrox, and X-Factor. He does excellent characterization. You can tell he really gets into the heads of his characters and understands their motivations and what makes them tick. Yeah, sometimes the sci-fi stuff gets lost in the shuffle because of this though. There are issues of X-Factor where superpowers are totally irrelevent. I like it though. The extra characterization makes you care that much more about everyone. PAD seems to always find a way to insert the right amount of humor at the right time, never feeling too excessive.

3. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    He wrote a King Arthur trilogy. I had a hard time getting through the first book (the only one I read) but I was in middle school-ish when I did.

4. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    I read some of the new frontear books when they first came out 12 years ok. They were good.

5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I haven't read his Trek work, but I have read "The Incredible Hulk: What Savage Beast?" and his comics work. I've enjoyed his work there and I know from many a Trek fan, he is considered one of the best writers who never got to grace the television or film screen. I'd say it is well worth it, since "New Frontier" is more original than his other novels. He has more creative license with the characters and thus can put them through hell.

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I read the first few issues of NF and found it to be pretty good. Decent art too (which can't be said for most Trek comics). A couple points are obvious continuations of novel character arcs/plots, but while it's a bit offsetting at first to have something like "oh, it's that former crew member who became a powerful entity- glad you're alive!" type moments, they do a decent job of catching the reader up.

Of course, having rewatched most of TNG after reading the comics, in retrospect I realize I missed recognizing many of the characters developed from the show like Shelby and Jellico.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.